Knife Sharpeners

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I can use a stone and that's what I was trained on 45 years ago, but this thing is amazing. I've had it for over 5 years and only had to buy a one belt set but the old belts are still functional and I use them for a super fine finish edge.

I still have stones of course, but I own more than a few knives with D2 tool steel blades and what used to take hours now takes minutes. I'm really hard on my EDC knives since I now work in a factory assembling and machining heavy commercial machinery so I'm cutting heavy, heavy cardboard, thick plastic anti-corrosion sheeting as well as multiple layers of plastic (saran wrap type) and lesser, softer steels like 440C and AUS8 require sharpening once a week. D2 will last a couple month until I notice enough a degradation that it slows me down.

Anyway, it's the Worksharp Ken Onion Edition and it's a beast. My knives are so sharp that if one gets loose, I just jump back and let it hit the concrete floor. Ain't no way in hell am I going to try to catch it. They are just as sharp as a box cutter blade, and some would say sharper.

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4742.JPG

i'm not one for gimmicks...but i'll tell you the "Speedy Sharp" is truly unbelievable. Whether it's your hunting gear, lawn mower blade or rusty old axe!

i'm not one for gimmicks...but i'll tell you the "Speedy Sharp" is truly unbelievable. Whether it's your hunting gear, lawn mower blade or rusty old axe!
Oh yeah, they do work, and I use some something similar for my brush machete, but never on my fine knives. They do literally peel the steel, lol but it just slicks off D2 or S30V. Having said that, I have one in my go bag just in case.

I just cant get my self to spend the coin on one yet but I do hear good things about them.

Same with Boker knives. My cousin has a few and I looked at a lot but for some reason very few are ambidextrous / left handed.

I just cant get my self to spend the coin on one yet but I do hear good things about them.

Same with Boker knives. My cousin has a few and I looked at a lot but for some reason very few are ambidextrous / left handed.

This knife is an automatic which became legal here in Colorado due to the large amount of extreme sports climbers/parachuters/base jumpers etc. demanded a change in the laws. It is totally ambidextrous and in my opinion safer than even a locking side folder. I can't upload a video here, but I'll post it to Youtube shortly and post a link.

I dont remember Boker making an OTF. I will check that out.

Microtech, Ultratech.

20211204_192031.jpg

20211204_192056.jpg

:thumbsup::usflag:

I dont remember Boker making an OTF. I will check that out.

Microtech, Ultratech.

View attachment 1715831043

View attachment 1715831044

:thumbsup::usflag:

I've got a Microtech as well, and it's super well made, but as you can see from the vid, I have xxl hands and when stabbing into cardboard, my hand slips forward. I needed something with a substantial handle and the Boker fits the bill. So far with a buttload of daily use, it's never failed.....Yet. I think I got it for 80 bucks IIRC in D2 steel. The MT cost me around 250.

Speaking of sharpening knives, how the heck do you sharpen a scalloped blade?

16386827573088240224306480442013.jpg

Yeah my MT came with loose screws, I had to buy the dang tool to tighten and lock tight them. Been fine after that. I dont edc it much anymore unless im in sweat pants or gym shorts. Its just not heavy duty enough for my day to day use.

I like the look of that Boker, I will look into it.

How is it with failire to fire / lock?

Is it like the MT where its not an issue if it fails or falls off track?

20211204_215207.jpg

20211204_215207.jpg

I think this one is 1000 grit. (If I remember right.

I have wet stones from 800 up to 4000

@Ottmundr

This thread is about sharpening knives, not sharpening ice cream scoops.

:rofl::poke: :)

Hey I'm surprised that anyone remembered. The unsharpened tip makes it a great spoon.

And do you have a part number for that 1000 grit rat tail sharpener? I'm really liking the built in handle/protector.

It popped in my head when I saw it.

I dont remember where I got the rat tail. Im sure it was amazon or e bay. Its a cheap one but It works nice.

I just looked and it says DMT , Diamond machining technologies inc.

Made in usa

:)

Speaking of sharpening knives, how the heck do you sharpen a scalloped blade?

View attachment 1715831142

You don't, but how do you even know if it's dull? How do you know if it's sharp? I hate to be the guy that says it, lets see ya slice some pieces off a home depot receipt. Scalloped blades are for sawing rope and most can't. Worthless.... Maybe good for a piece of narrow French bread? Sorry man, hate 'em.

You don't, but how do you even know if it's dull? How do you know if it's sharp? I hate to be the guy that says it, lets see ya slice some pieces off a home depot receipt. Scalloped blades are for sawing rope and most can't. Worthless.... Maybe good for a piece of narrow French bread? Sorry man, hate 'em.

This is for cutting seatbelts and crap like that. The tip is unsharpened so you don't cut the people that you are cutting out.
Once upon a time it was very sharp, fifteen years of daily use has taken a toll.

Yeah my MT came with loose screws, I had to buy the dang tool to tighten and lock tight them. Been fine after that. I dont edc it much anymore unless im in sweat pants or gym shorts. Its just not heavy duty enough for my day to day use.

I like the look of that Boker, I will look into it.

How is it with failire to fire / lock?

Is it like the MT where its not an issue if it fails or falls off track?

The only time I had an issue was today after sharpening, I didn't wipe the blade off after sharpening and it got sticky. I blasted it with WD, let it hang for 10 minutes and it's fine. I'm estimating 100 in and outs a week for 3 years or so? Zero failures. Never has been off track or needed a tool to dis-assemble.

This is for cutting seatbelts and crap like that. The tip is unsharpened so you don't cut the people that you are cutting out.
Once upon a time it was very sharp, fifteen years of daily use has taken a toll.

My Stepson is a West Metro Fire Fighter and I'll be at his girlfriend's graduation from the Fire Academy the 10th of this month, this Friday. Scallops don't work, only a hook. Cool, this gives me an excuse to post pictures!

;) Me, my Wife and our Stepdaughter and our Stepson..... in the flames. Family day for those that dared or cared.

Jacob1.jpg

Last edited:
Having been a meat cutter for over 50 years, goes without saying, I’m old and old school. All I use is a three way wet stone to sharpen, and a good smooth steel to keep the edge true. Over the years I’ve seen others use electric sharpeners, some with very good success, while some ruined their knives. My knives will cut through that Home Depot receipt.

like you i only used stones with soapy water (keeps them so easy rinse clean when necessary)
...but speedy sharp is truly amazing and disappears in your pocket when you're afield or ..anywhere!

Cool thread. I could use some sharpening advice from any willing to give it. I have a Boker hunting knife that I use for gutting and skinning deer. It’s 440C stainless and I’m having a hell of a time getting a good sharp durable edge on it. I’ve been using a set of wet stones and I can get a decent edge, not razor sharp, but it doesn’t seem to last. I usually only get done with one deer and it’s dull. Any tips?

0BDC1025-8583-4D43-B3FE-57EDAF88F5F0.jpeg

1A7A0794-5648-4EE6-B33C-130CC59CD21E.jpeg

One other thing that you learn early on as a meat cutter. Hard habit to break, but if you drop a knife, do not try to catch it. Let it drop. If you are having trouble keeping your knife sharp, get a good smooth butcher steel. Not a coarse one. Sharpen your knives with a wet stone, and keep the edge true with a steel.

One other thing that you learn early on as a meat cutter. Hard habit to break, but if you drop a knife, do not try to catch it. Let it drop. If you are having trouble keeping your knife sharp, get a good smooth butcher steel. Not a coarse one. Sharpen your knives with a wet stone, and keep the edge true with a steel.

Not the same but still the same.

I use to do glass work when I was a kid. I saw a guy try a grab a big piece of plate glass that fell, that is a bad idea.

My buddy is a Chef and dropped a knife right through his foot. No feeling in that foot now. Now days when I drop a knife i kinda jump back and do the splits.

-
Back