Kobalt Oil-free Compressor spits water

-

pauls340

Reaction score
Just picked up this Kobalt 26G Oil-free(ish) compressor because it's quiet. Yes it is however, after the lengthy fill-up, it spits moisture from the first use. My older, extremely LOUD HF compressor has a simple moisture trap I added. If possible, can a trap be added to this type compressor? thanx ahead.

Kobalt 26G Quiet Tech.JPG

Yes, you can and should put a moisture trap/line filter on those, but those only protect your discharge lines. Even more important is the drain plug on the bottom of the tank! Airborne moisture/condensation builds up in these tanks VERY quickly (especially this time of year) and can rot out your tank fairly quickly if you don't drain them often. I've seen new tanks come with just a pipe plug in them; pull that out and put a decent valve on there and use it regularly (I do it every week or two) to keep your tank dry. You'd be shocked to see how much water comes out of there!

Air is heated when it is compressed, and that hot/warm air carries moisture from the atmosphere. If the water trap is not far enough away from the compressor for the air to cool off prior to reaching it, much of the moisture will pass right past the water trap.

I found a good article about this on the internet years ago. It recommended running at least 50 feet of line slowly ascending up the wall and then down to a down pipe with an upward trending dogleg pipe with a water trap. Then on each end of the 50' of pipe run a vertical pipe with a ball valve on it to drain the water from each end.

I used galvanized 1" pipe for my line that zig-zags up the wall, and not even one drop of moisture has ever come out of my water trap. Lots of moisture will drain from the 2 ball valves though.

Compressor pic1.JPG

Compressor pic2.JPG

I have that same compressor and am very happy with it.I do however drain it after every use.I don't see too much condensation accumulating. Maybe just location,temperture ,and relative humidity.
I just noticed you mentioned " Lengthy fill up" Mine charges up fast .You might want to check all the fittings .After I picked up mine I read a review where someone mentioned several loose items I did a nut and bolt of the entire thing and found a few items needed tightening.
It's been my experience working with compressors in my work that the slightest leak will significantly alter the fill time , create excessive condensation. And shorten the life of the unit.Further more the pump itself could be defective accounting for the lengthy fill time and excess moisture.

Last edited:
Another reason for water, that I found, is how long does the compressor run? If it isn't big enough, CFM's, it runs constantly trying to keep the tank filled to the shut off point. I tried using a air operated sander......will not work. I use the hose up, then down with a trap after. Also have a dessicant trap right before my spray gun, and I try not to hold it open for very long. This is what works for me. Oh, and I don't have 220 in my garage, only 110. 220 compressor would most likely provide the CFM's needed.

Another reason for water, that I found, is how long does the compressor run? If it isn't big enough, CFM's, it runs constantly trying to keep the tank filled to the shut off point. I tried using a air operated sander......will not work. I use the hose up, then down with a trap after. Also have a dessicant trap right before my spray gun, and I try not to hold it open for very long. This is what works for me. Oh, and I don't have 220 in my garage, only 110. 220 compressor would most likely provide the CFM's needed.

I didnt pay a lot of attention to these posts, but , '' do you ever use the tank drain ?? ''

Your regulator and water trap should be as close as possible to whatever tool/sprayer you are using. As compressed air travels thru the hose it can lose pressure, and pick up water.

Last edited:
I didnt pay a lot of attention to these posts, but , '' do you ever use the tank drain ?? ''
Every time. I put an extension on it so I don't have to reach all the way under it. And I didn't have the extra length of hose on at first, or the traps. Fortunately I wasn't painting yet.

Depending on use the Kobalt should last a several months. I used a die grinder about 4 hours a day for 4 months and had to replace it. The one I have now has been there about 5 years. With 1 hour use a month. I put a 90 and a long tube coming out of the bottom of the tank to make it easier to drain it after every used

Your regulator and water trap should be as close as possible to whatever tool/sprayer you are using. As compressed air travels thru the hose it can lose pressure, and pick up water.

As the compressor compresses the air , it heats it , then cools off in the tank , resulting in sweating inside the tank----

Depending on use the Kobalt should last a several months. I used a die grinder about 4 hours a day for 4 months and had to replace it. The one I have now has been there about 5 years. With 1 hour use a month. I put a 90 and a long tube coming out of the bottom of the tank to make it easier to drain it after every used

Did the same thing , 1/8'' pipe . Still dont drain it very often , and usually leave air in it .

As the compressor compresses the air , it heats it , then cools off in the tank , resulting in sweating inside the tank----
Yes, but you still need to remove the water at the point of use. Nobody needs water droplets mixed in with their paint!

If you're going to paint, you want to keep you lines as clean as possible. There is moisture in the air all the time. An after-cooler, or a run of looping pipe immediately after the outlet can help condense the trapped moisture. A large diameter coalescing trap/filter is useful. You will need an additional filter at your paint gun, specific types are available that won't make a big restriction.

Buy General Purpose Filter - Free Shipping over $50 | Zoro.com

Yes, but you still need to remove the water at the point of use. Nobody needs water droplets mixed in with their paint!
Dont use paint gun , use a lot of ''after use'' oil in air tools tho , stand on end where the oil will run down thru them, so far , so good.

Air is heated when it is compressed, and that hot/warm air carries moisture from the atmosphere. If the water trap is not far enough away from the compressor for the air to cool off prior to reaching it, much of the moisture will pass right past the water trap.

That is a good point. And not knowing the OP's weather lately, if it is extremely humid and or rainy it will be BAD

If possible take the output delivery fitting away from the compressor pump fitting into the tank.

-
Back