Krylon Fusion paint for Plastic?

-

dusterdemon

Reaction score
Has anyone used this paint on interior plastic moldings? The moldings are black and I just want to darken them up a little bit. Or would I be better off buying some kind of plastic dye? Thanks Warren

I have used it on my interior parts for my Charger and turned out pretty nice. I don't know how it will hold up or last over time but I was satisied with my results.

John

I used some on some kick panels once, it was a little too glossy for My tastes.
Also did not hold up all that well . Did apply nice and smooth however.

I have used the Dupli-Color Trim Paint. It works good but you really need to do a good prep job. They have it in flat and gloss. I prepped with Prep-all from Klean Strip. Scrub it a few times with the solvent and then let it dry in the sun or under heat lamps. I guess a heat gun would be ok if you don't get it too hot.

Try Year One and The Paddock. If my memory serves me I have seen the nin there. hope to help.

Our initial tests with the Krylon were on white plastic interior parts.....pillar moldings and door tops.........

The adhesion promoters in this stuff are aggressive. I've not had nearly the results with vinyl dyes........they generally lack enough pigment, do not last under UV, and don't hold up well. We've stopped using them altogether except for very light freshening of certain soft vinyl door panels and sun visors.

The Krylon holds well and cleans well too. It's MUCH cheaper than "automotive grade" spray cans, and in our opinion, are as good or better for plastic parts. For dead on matches, we've also applied the stuff to interior metal trim (such as headliner retainers) with excellent results.

The finish is generally an "eggshell" or semi-gloss when dry.

We like the stuff.................But the colors are limited. There are very few Mopar applications covered so far. But with a spray adhesion promoter first (on your plastic), Dupli-Color can give you good colors to choose from for the topcoats.

-
Back