LA 318 to replace 5.2 magnum for 97 Ram

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 97 Ram needs a new motor. The crank is all groovy, I've replaced mains 2x already. has low oil pressure with a HV oil pump. So, I have a 1990 LA 318 (factory roller) had been bored .060, balanced but I dont know what pistons are in it. Been on the stand for years. It was built by a shop for my Duster and came with the car when I bought it 5 yrs ago and I have never taken it apart.
I was thinking, since it's a factory roller cam engine, can I put a magnum cam, lifters ,heads, pushrods and the keg intake and run it in my 97 Ram?
I do also have a 5.9 magnum but I think it may need a complete rebuild but I have not torn it apart to check. Do you think my idea of using the LA shortblock with the magnum heads, Intake and valvetrain work or more trouble than worth, or go another route?
Thanks!

I think that Uncle Tony guy on youtube is gonna build a 273 this way in the spring... Lol

Last edited:
Yeh, LOL it's called "go find another 5.2." It's not like they are scarce. La does not have the magnum mount bosses, they may not be balanced the same "I don't remember" and without the computer etc your instruments/ other won't work. I see no advantage and lots of problems.

Yeh, LOL it's called "go find another 5.2." It's not like they are scarce. La does not have the magnum mount bosses, they may not be balanced the same "I don't remember" and without the computer etc your instruments/ other won't work. I see no advantage and lots of problems.
Thanks! The engine mounts. I didn't think about them. I think I now foresee a 5.9 rebuild in my future.

Gonna have to figure out how to mount the crank position sensor on the block if you want to run factory efi. There's no mounting boss on the passengers side for it and the air gap and position of it is extremely important.

Gonna have to figure out how to mount the crank position sensor on the block if you want to run factory efi. There's no mounting boss on the passengers side for it and the air gap and position of it is extremely important.
Yes, thanks. that was another detail I missed along with the engine mounts. I have decided to rebuild the 5.9 magnum I have on the stand instead.

-
Back