La fan blade bolt threads fine???

-

cmac64dart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a new water pump a year + ago. Painted it nice . Mounted it to the block. Fast forward a year and finally get around to putting the fan on and the coarse thread bolts from the original don't want thread in . I have a fine thread tapper that spins right in . I guess I could get another but its painted . Has anyone else had this happen. Maybe I could run a coarse tapper in and re tap. Suggestions? Thanks

Yup attempted that at napa. They only had them in Allen head which I think may cause clearance issues with the radiator. Its pretty tight in front there

Then go to the hardware store or Fastenal- and put lockwashers on there while you're at it, too.
You can also use studs of the correct length.

I doubt a Hardware store would have it . At least the ones around here . Fastenal is a hike for me but I'm going to get to one this week. I was wondering if the new pumps all have fine thread or as usual I just got the lucky pump

I may possibly still go the stud direction. I think I saw some all thread at napa. Just not sure they have fine. I'll take a ride in the a.m. Thanks for the idea

Google the length, size and thread you need

I bet Amazon has them or even ace hardware online

Don't use all thread! It's too soft a material. Napa should have suitable studs. Probably a 5/16-24 you just need to figure out what length.and get nuts too, to suit the other end of the studs.

Thanks, I started by looking for # 8 bolts. I'll check about the 3 " studs at napa tomorrow. If I can't verify the tensile strength of the rod before I use it I may just get another pump with the proper coarse thread . Thanks

Are you sure the pump is the correct rotation?

Might be a reason for a diferent tread???

How about you post some photos

Wtf is going on here? Doesn't matter if it is a solid or clutch fan, they are both attached to the water pump via BOLTS! CHEVYS have studs to attach **** to the water pump. What many have suggested already, buy fine thread bolts and be done with it. They were coarse thread factory. Many replacement parts nowadays are bullshit.

Grade 5 would suffice, but grade 8 would work too. And get nuts the same grade.
Though I don't think they show the ratings on bolt grade on studs in the bins, they are understood to be a better grade than all thread. I don't think most all thread is even grade 2. That stuff bends and twist s like taffy

They do show the grade on the bins. However they didn't have what I needed. Thats when I started the thread. They didn't have much as far as a fine thread on a class 8. Just the Allen head which as I previously stated would probably cause clearance issues

I just ordered some grade 8 fine thread bolts and I plan to use lock washers. Thanks all

You CAN get grade 5 and even grade 8 threaded rod, but you won't find it at "Ace."
We are in the same boat here. POS fastenal bought out the local bolt place, which was not that great, and then moved the damn thing clear out N of the airport. Not only is it a "fair piece" but it is on the so called "highway" with more stoplights added every day. It can be 1 1/2--2 hour trip if you hit it wrong......It's only 8 mi one way on the clock, but a terrible mess of traffic at times.

Our semi local fastenalls are now ran by appointment only lol. They aren't manned unless you make an appointment. Hey fastenall dude can you open your shop so I can buy 4 bolts or a foot of all thread. Its comical.

You don't. I would rather have better bolts than lesser. No other reason. Use whatever bolts you want on your fan.

How about drilling out the holes and helicoil them to the correct size for your factory bolts?

-
Back