la/mag cam info

-

jazak5

Reaction score
trying to gain some knowledge

acquired a TBI roller cam 360 la

will a magnum cam fit or somewhere I had seen a mention that the lifter bores are different? along with the fuel pump eccentric deleted ...

Besides a regind on my current cam are there other options and what is the durability/max out of spring pressures and lift on the factory roller lifters ? Motor had 87.000 miles on it prior to pulling it and it looks clean inside...

Will a magnum cam fit? Yes.
BUT
A Magnum cam uses a short nose that will not accept a fuel pump eccentric, unless you use the Hughes adaptor.
Magnum cams are designed for a 1.6 rocker ratio, LA cams are designed to use a 1.5 ratio. Use of a Magnum cam in your LA will alter the lift specs.
Lifters, and lifter bores, are identical between the LA rollers and the Magnums.

Last edited:
Will a magnum cam fit? Yes.
BUT
A Magnum cam uses a short nose that will not accept a fuel pump eccentric, unless you use the Huges adaptor.
Magnum cams are designed for a 1.6 rocker ratio, LA cams are designed to use a 1.5 ratio. Use of a Magnum cam in your LA will alter the lift specs.
Lifters, and lifter bores, are identical between the LA rollers and the Magnums.
my motor has the fuel block off plate/haven't removed it yet to see if there is a la cam in it ...

my motor has the fuel block off plate/haven't removed it yet to see if there is a la cam in it ...
Roller LAs used a long-nose cam (at least every one that I've had apart). Some had an eccentric, others omitted the eccentric and just used a deeper cupped retaining washer; but are still able to take an eccentric.
All have had timing covers with the boss for a mechanical fuel pump, some used a block off plate, others did not have the center oval machined out (easily remedied).

Roller LAs used a long-nose cam (at least every one that I've had apart). Some had an eccentric, others omitted the eccentric and just used a deeper cupped retaining washer; but are still able to take an eccentric.
All have had timing covers with the boss for a mechanical fuel pump, some used a block off plate, others did not have the center oval machined out (easily remedied).

Good to know...I have a 360 roller cam sitting in the box I want to have reground by Oregon (if they still do that) and slide it into a roller 318 block for my wife's '65 Dart. I know it will require some longer pushrods due to the reduced base circle, but that's easy enough...

-
Back