La parts on a magnum

-

janthonyg

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I currently have a 91 la engine off of a dakota that i built and is making a ticking noise that i cant find for the life of me. What i am thinking of doing is replacing it with a later magnum block but i would like to know what parts if any can i use from an la on the magnum. Cam, crank, rods ect.

Not the lifter ticking?
Everything heads down can be put in a magnum block.
All the magnum bottom end weights are different but swapping rotator and balancer as an assemble is fine. Magnum timing cover work work either

Is it a roller cam, with a double roller chain and a mechanical fuel pump?

I had a problem for a little while with a noise that I couldn't track down. Turned out a roller cam moves in and out of the block more than a hydraulic cam, which closes up the gap between the timing chain and arm of the fuel pump. Just enough that there was a witness mark on the arm from the pins in the timing chain. I tweaked the arm in a little at that spot and no issues since.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but thought maybe it would help anyway.

No i dont belive it is a lifter i have put 2 new comp cam sets on it and the tick is still there. But that info on the parts swap is helpful thanks.L4staero

Is it a roller cam, with a double roller chain and a mechanical fuel pump?

I had a problem for a little while with a noise that I couldn't track down. Turned out a roller cam moves in and out of the block more than a hydraulic cam, which closes up the gap between the timing chain and arm of the fuel pump. Just enough that there was a witness mark on the arm from the pins in the timing chain. I tweaked the arm in a little at that spot and no issues since.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but thought maybe it would help anyway.

Dionr. Thanks for the reply. If i can find that noise and save the block i will. I have a hydraulic flat tappet cam and lifters with a double roller chain from comp cams with a mopar mechanical fuel pump.

Not the lifter ticking?
Everything heads down can be put in a magnum block.
All the magnum bottom end weights are different but swapping rotator and balancer as an assemble is fine. Magnum timing cover work work either

No i dont belive it is a lifter i have put 2 new comp cam sets on it and the tick is still there. But that info on the parts swap is helpful thanks.L4staero

You can use the LA heads if you externally feed the rockers from the oil sender at the back of the block. As said I would continue to diagnose & find out what is ticking

-
Back