LA318 Pistons for performance build????

-

318ute

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Can anyone tell me what would be the best piston for a performance 318 build?
Hyper's or Forged and what is on the market these days?

I have done a little sniffing around for a forged piston but TRW seem to be the only option but the comp is not great and they seem a tad heavy compared to the KB's!

Thanks in advance.

318ute,
This is what we use for mild race and street use, we use 86 -90 pistons as they are .020 taller compression distance than that of the old LA engines pistons. Then top that off with a set of 302 heads mildly ported and you have a combo thats good to over 400HP. The pistons can be either cast or hyperutectic styles, but for the weight savings I would use the hyper's, as they are stronger than the factory cast too. You can also run NOS too in moderation if you so please. The cost is less than that of forged, a set of cast pistons go for around $80.00 to $100.00 and the hyper's are $190.00 to $210.00 depending where you get them from. Hope this helps.

Thew 318 is hard to shop for in the piston area. Your not alone.
Federal-Mougal also makes pistons for the 318 in a cast Hyper-U. I do not know much about them though.
Your best bet is more likely the KB piston if the trick BJRracing dosen't fit the bill.
Performance wise, the Hyper-U piston is best for street to mild race. The froged piston is best for hard core builds.
The only thing to watch out for with a Hyper-U pistons is timing. You do NOT want it to ping (Detonation) at all!

-
Back