Lap Belts NHRA Tech Inspection

-

Alex.Sciortino

Reaction score
I have a '73 Dart that when purchased, did not have any seat belts in the car. A few years ago, I went to O'Reilly's, bought a set of lap belts, and bolted them to the factory seat belt mounts. Will this pass tech at an NHRA track? I'm getting the car ready to run in January, and I don't want to get turned away because of it.

It really depends on how quick/fast you run. And, it's been my experience that how stringently things are enforced varies from track to track, and promoter to promoter, and sometimes month to month! And it will depend if you are NHRA Class racing, or just doing some casual Friday nite bracket racing.... generally speaking, you'll be OK with basic seat belts unless you're running 11.49 or quicker... and really if you are going quicker than 11.49, you should have good belts anyway.
Here are the rules from the 2018 NHRA rulebook. Sections 4A, 4, 10., and 21, 10.5. Hope this helps!

4A DRIVER RESTRAINT SYSTEM

Seat belt mandatory in all cars. Driver restraint system meeting SFI Spec 16.1 mandatory in any car running 11.49 (*7.35) or
quicker, in convertibles running 13.49 (*8.25) or quicker, and all dune-buggy-type vehicles running 12.00 (*7.50) or slower.
SFI 16.1 restraint system, when required, includes crotch strap and must be updated at two-year intervals from date of
manufacture. See General Regulations 10:5, 10:11.

10:5 DRIVER RESTRAINT SYSTEMS
A quick-release driver restraint system meeting SFI Spec 16.1 or SFI Spec 16.5 is mandatory in all cars in competition
required by the rules to have a roll bar or a roll cage. (Permitted in all other classes.) Driver restraint system must be clearly
labeled as meeting SFI Spec 16.1 or SFI Spec 16.5 and be dated by manufacturer. SFI 16.1 or 16.5 3-inch-wide shoulder
harness straps folded over and sewn to be 2 inches wide by the original manufacturer in order to fit into head and neck restraint
lips/channels are acceptable. See Class Requirements for Section 21, page 44 General Regulations additional requirements for Top Fuel and Funny Car. SFI Spec 16.1 or 16.5 Y-type belts prohibited. (In cases where the class does not require an SFI 16.1 or 16.5 driver restraint system,
the two-year recertification does not apply.)
System must be updated at two-year intervals from date of manufacture. All seat-belt and shoulder harness hardware must be originally designed to be used with each other and produced by the same manufacturer. For harness installation, see illustration. Cars using OEM or OEM-type seat may route crotch strap in front of seat instead of through seat; otherwise, install according to manufacturer’s instructions. Mandatory that units must release
all attachment points (five, six or seven, if applicable) in one action. When arm restraints are worn with a restraint system
that utilizes a “latch lever,” a protective cover must be installed to prevent arm restraint from accidentally releasing the latch
lever. Protective cover not required if system utilizes “duckbill” latch hardware. All harness sections must be mounted to
the frame, crossmember, or reinforced mounting, and installed to limit driver’s body travel both upward and forward. Seat
belts may not be wrapped around lower framerails. Under no circumstances are bolts inserted through belt webbing
permitted for mounting.

Also, some info on basic roll bars...
4A ROLL BAR
Roll bar mandatory in all cars (including T-tops) running 11.00 (*7.00) to 11.49 (*7.35), in convertibles running 11.00 (*7.00) to
13.49 (*8.25), and in all dune-buggy-type vehicles running 12.00 (*7.50) seconds and slower. Permitted in all cars.
See General Regulations 4:10, 10:6.

HELMET
For all 10.00 to 13.99 closed-bodied cars, either an open face or a full-face Snell M2010, M2015, SA2010, SA2015,
SFI 31.1/2010 or 31.1/2015 helmet with or without a shield is mandatory.

4A Roll bar in 11.0 - 11.49 cars ?
Thats an oddly narrow window !

I remember with my old barracuda when I had good belts they had to be date code current. I took the outdated belts out, but my stock 40 year old belts back in, no problem, good to go. No common sense, just stupid rules.

I was under the impression?? that if you were not in "the zone" that required aftermarket harness/ belts/ inspection, that out of date belts should be ok?? I spose it depends on the tech inspector you "run across."

I was under the impression?? that if you were not in "the zone" that required aftermarket harness/ belts/ inspection, that out of date belts should be ok?? I spose it depends on the tech inspector you "run across."

that is how LVMS interprets the rule book....roll bar not needed....sfi belts not needed...

I remember with my old barracuda when I had good belts they had to be date code current. I took the outdated belts out, but my stock 40 year old belts back in, no problem, good to go. No common sense, just stupid rules.

Agree , mine has been in the sun but about 20 times, lives in a locked metal garage, and will be out of date by the time the next mopar race will come around . Good thing they don`t check them to close at that race. Think it`s a money maker, u can look and feel of a harness and tell if it`s old or mistreated , cut , altered or had anything spilled on it .

NHRA finally got some sense about the seat belt 2 year rule. They only need to be date certified IF the class requires the 16.1 or 16.5 belts, which is quicker then 11.50 in the 1/4 mile, for a "body" car, or 13.50 for convertables. If you run 11.50 or slower (13.50 for converts) you have the choice of the GOOD belts or stock OEM belts. If you opt for the GOOD belts, the 2 year date rule does not apply. They can be older.

PS: I had outdated Good belts in my 13 sec 66 Barracuda, back when the 2 year rule was in force, and my belts were outdated. Whenever tech brought up the date issue, I would grab the stock 50 year old belt from the back floor, and say "no problem, I'll just put these back in". That ended that issue.

PPS: It is to your advantage to make sure whatever belt you use is in good condition, regardless of how new or how old it is. Remember it is your butt that is tied in. You don't have to be a quick car to have an issue. I ran against a fast car, that had a problem (I think a wheel locked up), maybe 300 feet out, and he came over into my lane. I came close to "T-boning" him.

Last edited:
NHRA finally got some sense about the seat belt 2 year rule. They only need to be date certified IF the class requires the 16.1 or 16.5 belts, which is quicker then 11.50 in the 1/4 mile, for a "body" car, or 13.50 for convertables. If you run 11.50 or slower (13.50 for converts) you have the choice of the GOOD belts or stock OEM belts. If you opt for the GOOD belts, the 2 year date rule does not apply. They can be older.
They are typically a bit non tolerant on the date code if you are under the 11.5 marker. It is a pain

They are typically a bit non tolerant on the date code if you are under the 11.5 marker. It is a pain
It would be more of a pain, if the belt broke. But I get the point.
But the line has to be drawn somewhere, and it is drawn at the point where you are required to have a roll bar or cage.

It would be more of a pain, if the belt broke. But I get the point.
But the line has to be drawn somewhere, and it is drawn at the point where you are required to have a roll bar or cage.
Agreed, everyone has to deal with it in their own way. Tech inspection is always a crap shoot no matter how hard they try and take the gray out. When I get frustrated over yet another different interpretation of the same rule. Rather than vent on the guy doing the tech I try and put myself in his position. If I was responsible for the safety of all the guys running that day I would be as diligent as I could be to ensure everyone was safe. When you really think about it the guys doing tech are typically passionate about the sport and at many tracks donating their time. It is the same for me when I pull range duty I try and always put the shooters safety first over all else. Long story short, overall the tech guys do a pretty darn good job in a tough spot. Apologies for the rant but many of us volunteer in a wide array of venues and it is the same principal. No good deed goes unpunished! Hah!

I always thinks its funny that I can run with my 50 year old stock belts, but you need to replace your four point belts every two years!

I always thinks its funny that I can run with my 50 year old stock belts, but you need to replace your four point belts every two years!
Not any more. If the rules allow you to run your stock belts (full body vehicle, slower then 11.49in the 1/4), then you are exempt from the 2 year rule for aftermarket belts. The rule was changed sometime between the 2007 rule book,(I don't have the books in between) and the 2010 rule book. So the two year belt rule has been obsolete for at least 8 years. This is why you need to READ the current rule book.

Just a FYI, for those that have OEM belts and would like to upgrade, but don't because of price, hit the swap meets. Many times you can buy used belts that are outdated by 1 or 2 years from someone that has to meet the 2 year rule. Just make sure to look them over real close, for defects. This is the time of year to start looking. Quick cars with 2 yr old belts will have to update for the 2019 season.

Most junk I run is in the 13 second zone.I get my used belts from the next door neighbor. He runs a Stocker. He said that he could send them in to have re-certified but it costs more than buying new.

-
Back