Lares 16 to 1 manual box?

-

951mopar

Reaction score
I just received a new manual steering box from Lares. It is a fast ratio 16 to 1. I was wondering if anyone on here has has any thoughts or experience with them? It is really light weight. I am converting from power steering to manual.

I'm at work I will put a photo up later this weekend. I ordered it through Bouchillon Performance. I thought it was theirs, but it is manufactured by Lares.

I have a box from Lares on my 83 Chevy 4x4 and it works great, I have to order up a 16:1 mopar box and give it a try.

Update the part number I order from Bouchillon Performance is 18831. Lares part number would be 8831, box for 1967-1969 Barracuda. Sorry for any confusion.

So this is a new casting? I thought the 16:1 was a stock box with a new worm and a longer pitman arm?

It's probably the same box. The manual box is aluminum -- he was converting from the very heavy iron power steering box, so it would seem light to him. Just a guess, though.

So this is a new casting? I thought the 16:1 was a stock box with a new worm and a longer pitman arm?

It appears to be a new casting, box looks to be cast iron not aluminum like the stockers. But otherwise it looks very similar to the originals, if the picture is to be believed. Flaming River has been making a 16:1 box, but it doesn't look similar to the originals. That's what I run in my Duster, and I run it with 275/35/18's up front. A little hard to park, but amazing once you hit about 10mph.

As for the 16:1 ratio boxes themselves, it's only a different worm gear, the pitman is the same length as all the other manual pitman arms. The ratio change comes completely from the worm gear. The fast ratio pitman and idler arms are for power steering, and produce a 12:1 ratio.

The one I have is aluminum. I will post a photo this evening

Ok, good to know. Hard to tell from the stock picture, if that's even the same box. The originals were aluminum. The flaming river 16:1 boxes are steel, but like I said they don't look stock either.

my bad, I was thinking of the T/A fast ratio stuff. !6:1, Tighter bumpstops and longer pitman arm for the faster actuation. Carry on...

No. You are converting from power steering to POWER steering as it will take a LOT of power to steer at low speeds. lol

my bad, I was thinking of the T/A fast ratio stuff. !6:1, Tighter bumpstops and longer pitman arm for the faster actuation. Carry on...

The T/A's had the same quick ratio manual boxes as the earlier A-bodies. The ratio was 16:1, and they weren't unique to the T/A's (and they weren't marked for a T/A either). They use the same length pitman and idler arms as standard manual steering boxes. Starting in February of '71 the 340 Cuda's and Challengers also got fast ratio steering.

The power steering boxes were different, and they were marked "TA", cast right onto the power steering box. The worm gear had the same 16:1 ratio as every other power steering box, but the fast ratio arms change the ratio to 12:1. The power steering pump also output a higher pressure and had a different part #. Internally the worm gear was different as it used heavy duty bearings etc..

Here's the TSB for the 340 Challengers...

D71-19-4%20Page%201.jpg

D71-19-4%20Page%202.jpg

My Valiant station wagon came with the 16:1 box. I have 235/60's on the front and it steers great. I don't do a lot of parallel parking but at low speeds it takes some muscle.

-
Back