Larger calipers

-

Robbie2734

Lambcharger
Reaction score
What effect does a larger bore caliper have on front disk brakes? Also, has anyone used the yellow EBC pads on their cars and how much improvement did you see?

Says the yellow pads are a track pad or for SUVs. When it comes to brake pads, track parts are, normally, not better for the street.

Because.... The pads work better when they have some heat in them. Track pads may provide worse stopping power than a basic OEM replacement when cold or in normal day to day driving situations.

I would contact the manufacturer, tell them your intended use, and go with their recommendation.

What effect does a larger bore caliper have on front disk brakes? Also, has anyone used the yellow EBC pads on their cars and how much improvement did you see?

the larger bore increases stopping force or reduces peddle effort. you can think about it like this. between 2 set ups peddle effort is the same so that's X psi in the bore and one set up has a 1 square inch piston and the other has a 2 square inch. the one square inch piston will exert X pounds on the pad and the 2 square inch piston will exert 2X pounds. basically psi times surface area = force.

Actually, the info page said they work as well cold as hot. I have the red ones in my daily driver (power brakes) and they are scary good. They took some getting used to. I'm getting ready to put the new motor/kframe in and wanted some input on how well they'll work on manual brakes. The pads I have now are ok but I'm always looking for a good upgrade.

the larger bore increases stopping force or reduces peddle effort. you can think about it like this. between 2 set ups peddle effort is the same so that's X psi in the bore and one set up has a 1 square inch piston and the other has a 2 square inch. the one square inch piston will exert X pounds on the pad and the 2 square inch piston will exert 2X pounds. basically psi times surface area = force.

Thats what I wanted to know, I take it you should go with a larger MC then???

Thats what I wanted to know, I take it you should go with a larger MC then???

as in volume or mc bore?

one with more volume for your larger caliper bore, yes or check your fluid constantly

one with a larger mc bore, i don't know, i think its just your preference. im pretty sure its smaller mc bore = less effort more travel, larger is the opposite.

I just purchased and installed the EBC green stuff pads on my 67 fish and they're great for my everyday driver. The front discs now grab like they never have and are very predictable. The green pads won't tear up your rotors either, I highly recommend them!

I also went with 7/8" rear slave cylinders and arced the rear shoes so they wouldn't grab and lockup prematurely.

It's all "relative"

Larger MC bore = heavier pedal effort, less pedal travel

Larger caliper or wheel pistons = less effort, more pedal travel

Larger rear pistons with no other changes = more rear brakes compared to front

If you are talking specifically about the 73-up A body disc brake swap, then I have done this on my 64 SF. I went with the larger 11 3/4 rotors and saw no real improvement. Added the larger 76 duster/aspen calipers, and had no brakes with the 15/16 bore MC I used with the 10 3/4 rotors and 73 Duster calipers. Went to a 1 11/32 bore MC and got my pedal back. Added the EBC brakes, and feel they work great. no need for power assist. With the larger volume of the later calipers, they need to be matched with a MC that will move enough fluid to fill the caliper.

If you are talking specifically about the 73-up A body disc brake swap, then I have done this on my 64 SF. I went with the larger 11 3/4 rotors and saw no real improvement. Added the larger 76 duster/aspen calipers, and had no brakes with the 15/16 bore MC I used with the 10 3/4 rotors and 73 Duster calipers. Went to a 1 11/32 bore MC and got my pedal back. Added the EBC brakes, and feel they work great. no need for power assist. With the larger volume of the later calipers, they need to be matched with a MC that will move enough fluid to fill the caliper.

I have the 73 calipers and the 11 3/4 rotors with the 15/16th bore MC. I intend to change the pads first for either the red EBC or yellow EBC pads. If that gets me where I want to go I'll leave it that way. If not, it's the MC and caliper change. These stock pads just aren't working as good as I think they should. It's a ton better then drums but not as good as I want to have. I've been spoiled by the EBC's on my DD.

yes...you should make sure the hydraulic ratio is to your liking.I have the later 2 3/4" cuda calipers on my '70 Duster with a 1" master.Bled the brakes and it seemed like there was a lot of pedal travel.
when i road tested it i was surprised at how effortless stopping was.Car stops quickly long before pedal ever gets hard... like power brakes.
.. after things wore in and rear brakes adjusted themselves the pedal travel is less.

Thanks for the input guys, I now have a direction. I'll let you know how this works out.

-
Back