Last plastic painting question, I hope

-

Inspector71

Reaction score
68' Barracuda instrument cluster: as posted already, the only thing wrong with it is the black paint is faded and flaking off and the chrome is mostly gone. Mechanically, it is fine. I have sanded it all down to the plastic. Having painted the glove box trim, I realize the chrome won't quite be as bright as factory but the colors will match. Taping to paint the 3 colors, black, silver, and chrome is challenge enough but now I'm told I need to use a primer made for plastic. So I go to O'Reillys' (not a courteous or friendly bunch anytime I've gone in there) and they no, I need to spray an epoxy (they don't have) on the plastic and then use regular primer. What is correct about any of this? Thanks for the help...

Just get an adhesion promoter. It's made for plastic parts & works well...

Demon Turn Signals 001.jpg

The biggest part of painting plastic and getting it to stick is cleaning it with a wax and grease or plastic prep remover( an alcohol and water mix will also get it done) Wipe it down a few times and use some kind of adhesion promoter. There are several different spray bomb varieties on the market. I'm not sure if the auto parts store would have it. I usually source it from a paint jobber. I don't think epoxy primer is suitable here. I would source some plastic primer in a spray bomb as well. With plastic less is more. A thick build up of paint will not hold up as well.

68' Barracuda instrument cluster: as posted already, the only thing wrong with it is the black paint is faded and flaking off and the chrome is mostly gone. Mechanically, it is fine. I have sanded it all down to the plastic. Having painted the glove box trim, I realize the chrome won't quite be as bright as factory but the colors will match. Taping to paint the 3 colors, black, silver, and chrome is challenge enough but now I'm told I need to use a primer made for plastic. So I go to O'Reillys' (not a courteous or friendly bunch anytime I've gone in there) and they no, I need to spray an epoxy (they don't have) on the plastic and then use regular primer. What is correct about any of this? Thanks for the help...

nope none of it is correct. regular primer will peel if no adhesion promoter is applied just use adhesion promoter(follow directions) and paint. primer isn't needed and makes the paint thickness go way up and you lose detail. primer is not needed unless you are trying to hide sanding scratches.

I used several processes to paint my instrument bezels. For prep work I didn't sand anything, I used the "original yellow top Easy Off oven cleaner" it has lye in it and make your parts come out great! cleaned it with soapy water dried after that it got a light coat of adhesion promoter (most are good) I used bulldog adhesion promoter over at the upholstery shop I am working at for any plastic parts. then the paint.

before cleanup
DSCF3757.JPG

after oven cleaner
20151206_145753.jpg

painted using spray chrome
-0842.jpg

can't find the radion bezel pic but here is the speedo cluster and converting it over to white face guages.
DSCF4162.JPG

This is fantastic information. You all really know your stuff and, I'm sure you know, you just saved me from making a gazillion mistakes (like having to paint the trim piece for the glove box eight times and it's still not right). 66DVERT: I cannot believe what I'm looking at. I have never seen better work anywhere and I've looked a long time. How did you get it to lay so well, shine like that, and chrome to look, well, better than factory? I still can't believe my eyes!

This is fantastic information. You all really know your stuff and, I'm sure you know, you just saved me from making a gazillion mistakes (like having to paint the trim piece for the glove box eight times and it's still not right). 66DVERT: I cannot believe what I'm looking at. I have never seen better work anywhere and I've looked a long time. How did you get it to lay so well, shine like that, and chrome to look, well, better than factory? I still can't believe my eyes!

thanks for the compliment. I paid a guy to spectra chrome it . (actually I ended up using his equipment since he couldn't get it to lay down right on 2 pieces and agreed to let me try my hand at it.) I masked and painted all the rest of the stuff after a light clearcoat was put on the chrome to keep it bright and shiny. after 3 years it's a bit "tinted" but it went to a very light bluish hue instead of the yellow that everyone says clearcoat will do . I (a friends setup @549.00) used this to do some other stuff and it came out "okay" but now as good as the spectra chrome application. DIY Chrome Kit, Hydrochrome Spray on Paint | Future Chrome
here is a youtube of spray can chromes

yes I used spaz stix mirror chrome spray and it wasn't too bad at all. some of my other stuff has been sprayed in it and still look good after 2 years

I'm testing out a silvering solution that goes over plastic and then gets clear coated to preserve it. sort of like doing a mirror but in reverse ,silvers on the outside. I use automotive 2 part clearcoat so It helps withstand yellowing(or blueing) better

thanks for the compliment. I paid a guy to spectra chrome it . (actually I ended up using his equipment since he couldn't get it to lay down right on 2 pieces and agreed to let me try my hand at it.) I masked and painted all the rest of the stuff after a light clearcoat was put on the chrome to keep it bright and shiny. after 3 years it's a bit "tinted" but it went to a very light bluish hue instead of the yellow that everyone says clearcoat will do . I (a friends setup @549.00) used this to do some other stuff and it came out "okay" but now as good as the spectra chrome application. DIY Chrome Kit, Hydrochrome Spray on Paint | Future Chrome

yes I used spaz stix mirror chrome spray and it wasn't too bad at all. some of my other stuff has been sprayed in it and still look good after 2 years

I'm testing out a silvering solution that goes over plastic and then gets clear coated to preserve it. sort of like doing a mirror but in reverse ,silvers on the outside. I use automotive 2 part clearcoat so It helps withstand yellowing(or blueing) better

Your work is outstanding. So good, I copied your pics to show others. When I started on the Barracuda, I knew nothing. If not for the help I've received here, I never would have started. I was waiting until I had the money to pay someone to do it all or for some saint to come along and do it. Neither will ever happen. It's up to me which why am so thankful for your help.

A bit late to say this but... You should not have sanded plastic, especially the areas that get chrome. Chrome reflections amplify the slightest imperfections. When I repair and/or modify plastics I must sand the welds, sand to reshape, etc.., so I use the finger nail buffing blocks sold at dollar tree to rub the surfaces back OEM smooth. These small strips of various material will peel off the foam block as needed. A lot of rubbing.

Oops, I sanded but you all would strangle me if you the grit. What was I thinking. From now on, I ask first. Thanks for this really valuable help.

Oops, I sanded but you all would strangle me if you the grit. What was I thinking. From now on, I ask first. Thanks for this really valuable help.

you can limit the damage of sanding by working up to 400,600,800,1500 grit and then polish it with headlight (toothpaste will work too) renovator polish and buffer ball. you just want to smooth out the grooves that sandpaper makes. you will lose some definition on the lines if you sand so go easy on the heavy grits.

I had to do that on the only lockable glove box door I had that I wanted to use. to repair it was a ***** I went to 3000 grit but I think that was overkill for the amount of chrome on it.

-
Back