Late 72 Slant 6 w/Buick Turbo Questions

-

Poboyross

Reaction score
I have a late 72 Slant 6 w/904 and stock 8 3/4 rear. Just had the head redone, already had hardened seats, all cylinders at or above 120psi. I currently have a Super 6 setup on it w/electric choke, but am having the original 1bbl manifold milled to accept the whole Buick Turbo 6 draw through setup. I'm trying to get my facts straight on what is required to successfully run it. Here's what I've found concensus on:

-Does NOT need an intercooler
-CAN use stock fuel pump

That's about it, LOL!!! Everything else I can find, folks are arguing about every other feature. My setup does have the inlet/outlet for running coolant through it from the engine, and came with a stock Quadrajet carb. I was planning on running a J pipe from the stock exhaust manifold instead of cutting it up to weld on a flange. I also know I'll have to run a T off of the oil pressure fitting into the turbo, and draining back down to the pan. There's a heck of a lot of fittings on this Buick setup, many of which I'm not sure that I need for my situation. Does anyone have a good diagram of what IS needed, or photos of their setup?

What is your overall goal? Just a cool cruiser? I've seen a couple of videos of these setups on youtube.
Good luck.

My goal is just to have a fun cruiser with some more pep than the 2bbl setup is giving me. I looked up some of the setups on YouTube but couldn't find any using the Buick blow through setup. I'll go search again.

What is your overall goal? Just a cool cruiser? I've seen a couple of videos of these setups on youtube.
Good luck.

I had a Monte Carlo with that set up, no intercooler. guess it really depends how aggressive you plan on getting

I would block all of the ports on the plenum. Buick needed them for emissions, you don't. Hook up the water ports to the heater hose. The stock fuel pump won't keep the carburetor full of gas.

Why wouldn't you want an intercooler? That's essentially free horse power.

ive heard of people running an inter cooler on draw thrus somewhere. Bad idea. the intercooler would essentially become an accumulator and throttle response would suck. The fuel would want to condense to the heat exchanger. And not to mention having a pressure vessel with fuel inside is a bomb. One backfire and your hood is off.

Better to install water injection if you cannot control boosted temps.

-
Back