Late model mustang wheels on early A's?

-

Streetwize

Reaction score
I was thinking a cheap and easy upgrade would be the mid 2000's 16" 'Halibrand' style V6 mustang wheels, has anybody run anything similar and are there any offset or suspension clearance issues to be aware of?

Here's a quick snapshot of the wheel I have in mind on a mustang

Also how wide a tire can I run?

For shows and track events I plan to run the 15" cop wheels with drag radials, but for daily driving I'd like to have a modern directional tire with good handling and wet traction.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 516
There is/was a duster for sale here in Oklahoma on craigslist that has some mustang wheels on it I believe. But im not sure if they used adapter spacers or something.

Biggest problem I've run into trying to use late model wheels on 66-74 Mopars (besides radical offset) is that the Mopar spindle sticks out too far.

I really like a certain style of jeep wheel, and they bolt up and clear the UCA, but that darn spindle.....

Perhaps using a torque thrust style center cap would be aesthetically acceptable.

Talk about irony...now everyone uses 5 on 4 1/2.....but now there's the spindle issue...

The big problems are back space and the inner rim hitting the upper control arm, at least on an 18x 8.5 with 6.3 back space (2006 GT rims) on an early A. I have the 18 x 8.5 rims on both ends, with a 225 x 40 front, 255 on the back. I had to move the springs into the frame rails and use a wide rear out of an Explorer out back, and a set of triangular A arms up front to gain room for the inner edge of the rims. The fronts fit great now, full turning radius, the rears are maxed out and have 1/2 inch clearance in the tubs both inside and out at normal ride height. It gets tighter down lower so lowering the car with 255s is not a good option.

I added these aftermarket mustang wheels to my 66. 18x8 fronts 18x9.5 rear. leaf spring relocation kit along with 1/4 spacer in rear, no mods on front. no rubbing.

I used a set of 04' v6 stang wheels for rollers and they rubbed BAD on the the fender. Running mustang spares right now until I order proper wheels.

-
Back