Late shifts after new torque converter.

-

LivewireBlanco

Reaction score
904 transmission, installed a Hughes 2500 torque converter and I can't get the shifts down to normal. It'll hold 1st great until 6000 rpm when floored and shifts 1-2 at 25 mph at cruise. It won't shift 2-3 until im on the highway at high rpm.

I've also tried disconnecting the kickdown and it lowered my 1-2 shift to about 10 mph but it never shifted 2-3.

what kind of valve body? i.e. stock, RMVB, forward pattern?

Is reverse delayed?
Nope. And everything was fine before the new converter. One thing though, when lowering the transmission I still had the kick down cable connected and the lever got pulled hard enough to bend it. Didn't notice until it was almost on the ground. I bent it back but could that have moved something inside? Like an adjustment to it?

Will do. It'll be a while. Wife's grandmother passed away yesterday so my free time is going to be limited this week. Actually, I know there is something connected inside that arm because disconnecting it lowered my 1-2 shifts but I didn't want to go passed 40 and i still didn't have 3rd gear yet.

Transgo shift kits are good, pumps in park and neutral.

Sounds like the kickdown needs to be set up from scratch again, especially with that cable setup. Oldkimmer is good at this.

Basically you want the kickdown pressure arm full on, at the same time the throttle is wide open.

But again Oldkimmer knows best. Can take some tweeking to get it just where you want it when you get it close.

Transgo shift kits are good, pumps in park and neutral.

Sounds like the kickdown needs to be set up from scratch again, especially with that cable setup. Oldkimmer is good at this.

Basically you want the kickdown pressure arm full on, at the same time the throttle is wide open.

But again Oldkimmer knows best. Can take some tweeking to get it just where you want it when you get it close.
Kickdown is set, this might be wishful thinking but I'm hoping I'm a quart low. Fluid in neutral is on the low side of the dipstick mark. Still in the range but im going to add some and see.

Ok topped off with fluid, might be a tad high but definitely not low. Was about 3/4 quart low from full. Took it for a drive and same thing, dropped the kickdown to where full throttle 1-2 shift is back to about 5000 RPM which is where it was before the converter change, still no third until about 55 mph.

1. What is your engine?
2. What is your carb?
3. What are your rear end gears?

These guys will get you going again. ....might be frustrating but hang in there!
I'd rather have these guys helping me than a transmission shop!

Jeff

Well that's a nice setup with highway gears.

Have you ever adjusted the Bands on the 904. That is one of the first things a person does when working with shifting issues on the transmissions. That and change the fluid and filter. Can look in the pan at the same time to make sure there is no major debris in the bottom or plugging the filter.

Trans fluid nice and bright Cherry Red ?

The frustrating thing is it wasn't having this issue until I changed my torque converter. Also, the reason I changed my converter was at 65 mph I pull 3000 rpm. That's a lot higher than 25 inch tires with 2.76 gears should so I figured torque converter was slipping since it shifts hard. I thought the old converter was too "loose".

Well that's a nice setup with highway gears.

Have you ever adjusted the Bands on the 904. That is one of the first things a person does when working with shifting issues on the transmissions. That and change the fluid and filter. Can look in the pan at the same time to make sure there is no major debris in the bottom or plugging the filter.

Trans fluid nice and bright Cherry Red ?
Brand new fluid after converter change, filter is new also. I've never adjusted bands before. Would the adjustments be the same with a transgo shift kit?

Brand new fluid after converter change, filter is new also. I've never adjusted bands before. Would the adjustments be the same with a transgo shift kit?
Yes the Band Adjustment would be the same with the Transgo shift kit.

Want to get some help from a mopar person to adjust the 2 bands, or get a good manual that shows how to do it properly. Good youtube videos on the subject too.

Careful not to leave the bands too tight, that can screw up your trans.

Anyhow if it was working good with the stock converter, bands are probably not the issue right now.

-
Back