Lathe and tire machine opinions

-
Dont waste your time trying to cut late model rotors. Getting a good finish is difficult. I think the new stuff is ground, instead of using a cutter/bit.
I will clean up the occasional drum to remove a ridge for easier install but thats like 2x a year.
For the older stuff, go for it. I paid 200 for mine about 6 years ago.

Yeah, the more I think about it, as much as I want a lathe I just don't know how much I need or would ever use it. Lol, other than just having one to have it. Though if I run across one for $200 like you did, lol, it would be going in my shop for sure.

Yeah, the more I think about it, as much as I want a lathe I just don't know how much I need or would ever use it. Lol, other than just having one to have it. Though if I run across one for $200 like you did, lol, it would be going in my shop for sure.
I tripped over it, and its there if i need it. Old as the hills, but tough as nails. Fmc, two seperate machines.

I've used Ammco Drum/Rotor lathes for more than 45 years. I bought my own Ammco 4000 lathe about 7 years ago. The one in your picture is a very early Drum Only lathe. The one I bought does Drums/Rotors/Flywheels. I paid $800.00 for it with very little tooling. I have paid about $1000.00 for extra tooling and can now turn any drum or rotor up to 1 tons. Ammco in my opinion is the best there is. Plus They last for ever! I'll be passing this machine on to my grandson, Bucket Head, when I die.

Ended up buying a lathe for $400. (Penstarpurist) It maybe one of the one's you were looking at. The guy apparently had two of them. He came down to $400 pretty easy and you might be able to do better. I used to do this on my metal lathe but setup on different vehicles takes a bit of time. Now it will be much easier. The thing came with everything including the wrenches, spare belt and a ton of adapters. I just need to spruce up the bench it runs on a bit. The casters are shot.

Last edited:
-
Back