Lawnmower Question...

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I have a 2008 model Troy Bilt 42" cut rider. The deck height is controlled with the typical handle next to the seat and has a cable attached to the deck that raises and lowers the deck to correspond with where the handle is. My question is are these cables prone to stretch over time? I just recently leveled the deck and sharpened the blades for the season's end and it seems like I do not have much height adjustment left on the deck. The cable is in good physical condition with no frays or broken spots.

Yup, cables stretch. And they stretch more than one might think.

There is an era of dirt bikes that came with cable operated rear brakes. That cable would stretch like a ****. At the start of the day you had a good rear brake. By 30-35 miles in (depending on terrain) you’d be out of brake with your butt puckered on a long downhill.

Not only do they stretch, but if they are in a jacket the anchor points of the jacket can affect "effective length" not only at the ends but along the cable.

The anchor points for the deck are probably worn,
holes enlarged or shoulder bolts worn.
This will make deck run lower.

You check your tire pressure could be the deck is getting closer to the ground, maybe someone has put on a few lbs over the summer (just kidding)
:rofl:

I have a 42” cut troybilt rider as well. I bought it because of its cheap price and thats the only thing I like about it. Don’t get me wrong, it cuts grass but there has to be better riders out there that are reasonably priced. It definitely is no Simplicity or Deere.

I have a 42” cut troybilt rider as well. I bought it because of its cheap price and thats the only thing I like about it. Don’t get me wrong, it cuts grass but there has to be better riders out there that are reasonably priced. It definitely is no Simplicity or Deere.
They are all made by MTD.

Chit, I like the HECK outta mine. It's got the Kohler engine on it and it's been flawless. Even though the cable may be stretched, it's still adjusted right. Just not "much more" adjustment there. Runs and cuts great.

I've got a 95 model Craftsman 42" riding mower with an 18 hp Kohler motor. Sucker runs like a champ, but everything on it is about wore out! Steering it is like driving a dirt track car it has so much slack in the steering. My deck is controlled by linkage rods and all the holes where that stuff moves is worn out to egg shapes...lol. My yard is sloped and bumpy, and when I mow, I pretty much ride the mower like a dirt bike. Poor old mower has 3 tires in the junkyard and the other one on a banana peel.....but it just keeps hanging in there. I'll keep it until it's no longer repairable because we have a lot of leaves in the fall, and the 3 can bagger that fits on the mower saves me untold hours of raking and blowing leaves.

I've got a 95 model Craftsman 42" riding mower with an 18 hp Kohler motor. Sucker runs like a champ, but everything on it is about wore out! Steering it is like driving a dirt track car it has so much slack in the steering. My deck is controlled by linkage rods and all the holes where that stuff moves is worn out to egg shapes...lol. My yard is sloped and bumpy, and when I mow, I pretty much ride the mower like a dirt bike. Poor old mower has 3 tires in the junkyard and the other one on a banana peel.....but it just keeps hanging in there. I'll keep it until it's no longer repairable because we have a lot of leaves in the fall, and the 3 can bagger that fits on the mower saves me untold hours of raking and blowing leaves.
Pfffhhhtttt. I don't mow in the fall and winter. I barely keep the leaves blown off the walk. We have a nice size maple tree right out front and we kinda like it when it drops the leaves. When they all finally fall off, I will blow um around in a circle at the base of the tree.

-
Back