LCA identification

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there a guide somewhere that can be used to Identify LCAs???
I tried to use the number stamped into the side but it isn't a part number and I can't find a list of these "casting" numbers by year and model.

It would be great to be able to ID A body vs B-body and year brackets.

How do you tell them apart if they don't have sway bar tabs?

I ended up with two pair of B-body LCAs with tabs (I think - the tabs are on the top of the LCA at one end) and would like to see them find a new home but I can't figure out what years they fit...

I don't Gamble. but I'll Gar-un-tee, if ya post some measurements/ pics, one of the other, more, knowledgeable members here will help you out!

A Body LCA's have the letters VL stamped into the front

B & E body LCS's have either
RW or BJ stamped into the front.

I ended up with two pair of B-body LCAs with tabs (I think - the tabs are on the top of the LCA at one end) and would like to see them find a new home but I can't figure out what years they fit...

If the tabs are on the top, outboard side, of the LCA's, then they are officially 66-69 tabbed, for the B body cars.

Last edited:
well that solves part of the mystery - the pair of LCAs that I'm working up for my 70 Dart are stamped as follows:
VL over RF on the right side and VL over LF on the left side

If it was a snake it woulda bit me...

Jim, do you know which is the earlier stamping (RW or BJ) ?
Makes no difference.
Sometimes back in the old days, you could find RW stamped ones on the E body cars.
No difference than B body ones if sway bar mount tabs aren't on them.
They weren't going to shut down the assembly lines if BJ stamped ones were used up in the LCA assembly line bins.

I'm familiar with 62-72 B body cars, and they are all stamped with the RW letters.

Jim - also wanted to thank you for the videos you posted about rebuilding LCAs - saved me a world of frustration and resulted in a much better job...
:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

Jim - also wanted to thank you for the videos you posted about rebuilding LCAs - saved me a world of frustration and resulted in a much better job...
:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:
Now your talking about the wrong "Jim"
That's Jim Lusk, a long time friend of mine.
I am JIM VALUCKAS, (hemi71x) a totally different animal. lol

Is there a guide somewhere that can be used to Identify LCAs???
I tried to use the number stamped into the side but it isn't a part number and I can't find a list of these "casting" numbers by year and model.

It would be great to be able to ID A body vs B-body and year brackets.

How do you tell them apart if they don't have sway bar tabs?

Post a photo and we can probably I.D. them for you.

-
Back