LCA torque

-
I guess you don’t know any good mechanics then!

I’m not claiming that I torque every single nut and bolt to spec, but I absolutely torque major suspension components to spec. The LCA pivot nuts are supposed to be torqued to 145 ft/lbs, that’s well beyond just “tight”

The LCA pivot nuts don’t have cotter pins either.

That certainly won’t hurt anything, but since the poly bushing rotates on the pivot pin it’s not necessary like it is for the rubber bushings.
Some suspension parts there isn't any room for a torque wrench

I guess you don’t know any good mechanics then!

I’m not claiming that I torque every single nut and bolt to spec, but I absolutely torque major suspension components to spec. The LCA pivot nuts are supposed to be torqued to 145 ft/lbs, that’s well beyond just “tight”

The LCA pivot nuts don’t have cotter pins either.

That certainly won’t hurt anything, but since the poly bushing rotates on the pivot pin it’s not necessary like it is for the rubber bushings.
I've known some great mechanics actually, but not all of them could afford torque wrenches, impact guns, guess most people would have called them shade tree mechanics. The one's I that I knew could pretty much fix anything. Sometimes you have to do with what you have.

I don't know anyone who uses a torque wrench on lug nuts not even tire stores

I recheck mine every time I get home from getting new tires. On the last set I got, with a 135ftlb spec, some weren't even 80. I don't trust anyone when it comes to that kind of stuff.

I recheck mine every time I get home from getting new tires. On the last set I got, with a 135ftlb spec, some weren't even 80. I don't trust anyone when it comes to that kind of stuff.
Unfortunately that's true. So far, when I check out someone else's work it's been okay but you never know

Had a brother in law that almost had his engine lock up, he just happened to see oil on his driveway and come to find out the oil filter was just barely on the engine, that's how the clown that changed his oil left it. People don't care

Had a brother in law that almost had his engine lock up, he just happened to see oil on his driveway and come to find out the oil filter was just barely on the engine, that's how the clown that changed his oil left it. People don't care
Exactly! My dad got home from an oil change once and noticed oil dripping on his driveway. Turns out, the 'tech' who did the oil change in his new truck barely left the drain plug finger tight. Not double checking these types of things (or not doing the job yourself in the first place) is a recipe for disaster.

I've never rechecked a suspension part after I've installed it and never had any problems. Most suspension parts I use a 1/2" breaker bar or a ratchet. Even when I was in tech school the instructor's never used a torque wrench much. There's no room for a torque wrench for upper shocks, or the upper control arm in most cases

Lol.

You can’t get a torque wrench on the UCA bolts?

Like I said before, I’m not talking about every nut and bolt on the car. If you lose an upper shock nut you’re not going to lose control of the car. If you lose an LCA pivot nut you very well might. The LCA pivot shaft and nut is clearly a specialized fastener with a specialized torque spec.

I've known some great mechanics actually, but not all of them could afford torque wrenches, impact guns, guess most people would have called them shade tree mechanics. The one's I that I knew could pretty much fix anything. Sometimes you have to do with what you have.

A “great mechanic” without a torque wrench can’t perform any kind of specialized service properly. Doesn’t matter how great they are, they can’t do great work without the required tools of the trade. And a really great mechanic would understand that, and not do work in a sub par fashion.

Exactly. There are service intervals for a reason! You’re supposed to check all that stuff, just like you’re supposed to follow the lubrication schedule for all the wearing suspension parts that have zerks. Basic stuff!

I'm compiling a list... thus far Dan The Man does not:
  • buy anything online
  • torque anything except head bolts
  • buy expensive oil
*this list is preliminary and subject to change per post by DTM -Mgmt

Lol.

Like I said before, I’m not talking about every nut and bolt on the car. If you lose an upper shock nut you’re not going to lose control of the car. If you lose an LCA pivot nut you very well might. The LCA pivot shaft and nut is clearly a specialized fastener with a specialized torque spec.

A “great mechanic” without a torque wrench can’t perform any kind of specialized service properly. Doesn’t matter how great they are, they can’t do great work without the required tools of the trade. And a really great mechanic would understand that, and not do work in a sub par fashion.

Exactly. There are service intervals for a reason! You’re supposed to check all that stuff, just like you’re supposed to follow the lubrication schedule for all the wearing suspension parts that have zerks. Basic stuff!
I'm just saying that I've driven a car for years and never checked any of the suspension system for being tight
Lol.

Exactly. There are service intervals for a reason! You’re supposed to check all that stuff, just like you’re supposed to follow the lubrication schedule for all the wearing suspension parts that have zerks. Basic
I've never checked on any of the suspension parts. I'm not saying that it's not a good idea because it probably is. And yes I can get a torque wrench on the LCA, it's that I've never done it myself. Other than you guys on here I don't know anyone that has. Torquing the wheels, even dealerships don't do that and I don't know of any tire stores that do either. I understand what you're saying and I agree with you

I'm compiling a list... thus far Dan The Man does not:
  • buy anything online
  • torque anything except head bolts
  • buy expensive oil
*this list is preliminary and subject to change per post by DTM -Mgmt
:rofl:

Why buy online when I can get it the same day. I torque ALL engine parts, I never said that I don't buy expensive oil, I personally don't have a use for expensive oil. And I don't mean to sound disrespectful but as I said earlier I never knew of any repair shop or dealership that torques wheels or suspension parts. I've done alot of suspension work and never had any problems of any kind. Put that on your list.

Truer words have never been spoken.

• Hasent posted a photo of a mopar he currently owns
Isn't he the one who keeps asking about a thousand different things and has never posted anything he owns or has ever owned? I put him on ignore again so I don't know. Scratch that. Don't answer me. I don't wanna know. LOL

Truer words have never been spoken.

Just a quick side note, every tire store I have used for the last twenty years or so all torque lug nuts on wheels.
Les Schwab, All over Pacific North West
Daves Tire, Fargo ND
Multiple tire stores here in North West Arkansas
I worked in several tire stores and not one mechanic everused a torque wrench when putting on the wheels.

I worked in several tire stores and not one mechanic everused a torque wrench when putting on the wheels.

So you never worked in a good tire shop either, add that to the list.

Do you really think that the corporate tire shops, in this age of litigation, would trust the teenagers they employ with just randomly tightening lug nuts? One wheel comes off and kills somebody and they’re potentially out millions. Repeat that a thousand times a day, think about that. I mean WalMart bought oil vacuum machines at all their auto care centers so their techs never had to remove an oil pan drain plug. Just so their techs can’t forget a drain plug.

Impacts with torque setting bud. They’re a thing.

Just a quick side note, every tire store I have used for the last twenty years or so all torque lug nuts on wheels.
Les Schwab, All over Pacific North West
Daves Tire, Fargo ND
Multiple tire stores here in North West Arkansas
Even in the late 70s/early 80s we always did. Then, they found those "torque sticks". Surprisingly, if you regulate the air pressure right, they are pretty accurate. Of course you need to get quality ones too. Still though, there's no replacement for a torque wrench.

Even in the late 70s/early 80s we always did. Then, they found those "torque sticks". Surprisingly, if you regulate the air pressure right, they are pretty accurate. Of course you need to get quality ones too. Still though, there's no replacement for a torque wrench.

Yeah I don’t get why Dan thinks they don’t torque the lug nuts to a spec. There’s several ways to make sure the lug nuts get torqued to at least a minimum spec in a setting like that without using a specific torque wrench.

Iron,
I haven't read the whole thread, but could you extend the wrench you are using by slipping a piece of pipe [ or similar ] over it to exert more leverage without busting yourself. I do this on the dampener nut on my GTO, 160 ft lb reqd, 9/16" NF thread. Exact tq on that big nut would not be critical

That's probably the correct way to go. I torque cylinder heads and other engine parts but that's pretty much it
I also mainly torque just internal engine, clutch/flywheel, transmission, differential and wheel bolts/nuts. Brakes, suspension, and things loke water pumps, intake manifolds, power steering pumps and alternators just get tightened. I have NEVER had any problems.

I also mainly torque just internal engine, clutch/flywheel, transmission, differential and wheel bolts/nuts. Brakes, suspension, and things loke water pumps, intake manifolds, power steering pumps and alternators just get tightened. I have NEVER had any problems.
I cannot say never. I've had a few things loosen up over the years. Probably because I was tired, been workin all day, blah blah blah. There's no denying torquing things down verifies things are good and tight. That's why most everything on vehicles has a torque spec.

Tight is tight, too tight is broke. Les Schwab fuped some of my stuff. I rotate my own these days. Those strobe mark torque tubes need to be calibrated.

-
Back