LD4B installation on a 75 318

-

H22A4

Does anyone read this?
Reaction score
Most of the vacuum lines on my 318 are 41+ years old so it crossed my mind that they should be replaced. I then looked closer at how many yards of line I’d have to replace and it was adding up so I thought getting rid of the vacuum lines would be a good idea. Best way to do that would be to get a pre-emissions manifold so my project/search began to upgrade my 2 barrel to a 4 barrel; I couldn’t go too wild since my car has collector plates and the insurance company is quite strict as to what modifications can be done to it without voiding my policy. I was considering a Weiand Stealth or a LD4B but settled on the LD4B since it is era correct and could be ordered through Chrysler which means it won’t void my insurance. After acquiring a LD4B the next step was choosing a carb and I settled on a 1406.

Depending on how quickly you want to do the project (and how much you want to spend) almost all of the parts are available new with the exception of the 4 barrel kick down rod that goes between the throttle bracket and carb. Year One sells an entire 4 barrel kick-down linkage down to the transmission but it’s several hundred $$ and 2/3’s of the components are not needed if you have the linkages already on your 904. I wasn’t in a rush so acquired the parts over several months.

I bounced some ideas/questions off a few members on the board here (thanks!) and some of you might recognize some of the parts. I know there are already a few threads on fabo about upgrading a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel which were helpful when sourcing the various parts required and this thread can add to the collection.

Now that the project is done, for those interested in doing the same thing, below is the complete parts list I used with equivalent part numbers

-Edelbrock LD4B intake manifold
-Edelbrock 1406 carb
-340 Six Pack coil mounting bracket (#407)
-Coil mounting bracket/ring (#8213)
-Throttle return spring, small block (#TS02)
-Throttle spring bracket, ’71 – ‘73 340 4 barrel (#736)
-Throttle cable bracket, ’68 - ’74 340/360 (#0060)
-Throttle kick-down spring, ’70-’74 (BF341)
-4 barrel kick-down rod (between carb and throttle bracket)
-Edelbrock carb linkage adaptor (1843)
-Fuel line flare fitting (AF440) only needed if you’re running a steel line to your carb instead of the suggested rubber line
-Edelbrock heat insulator gasket (9266)
-Fel-Pro intake manifold gasket (1243)
-Mopar performance valve cover gasket (MOPP5249581AB)

Tool:
-3/8” drive 9/16” torque adaptor (Proto 5118) Not required but is a must if you want to ensure the proper torque for several of the intake manifold bolts. It also prevented me from removing the distributor as I used it to remove/install the intake manifold bolt closest to the firewall that also holds the throttle cable bracket.

Here is what I was starting with:
IMG_3018_zpsqevudhk8.jpg

A few vacuum lines:
IMG_0358_zps11tlswxc.jpg

Old intake manifold removed:
IMG_3204_zpstc0ph4mk.jpg

Valve covers and air cleaner could use some TLC so a little paint stripper and sanding/sand blasting resulted in something decent:
IMG_3140_zpslivenfqm.jpg

IMG_3157_zpshbu9zs3z.jpg

IMG_3165_zpszofmgwaf.jpg
IMG_0884_zpstpanjtqk.jpg

IMG_3052_zpsas78nogb.jpg

IMG_3054_zpsxzanex66.jpg

Other parts ready for paint:
IMG_2850_zpsttju6xqu.jpg

4 barrel kickdownrod:
IMG_0966_zpse4szpz7t.jpg

Did some test fitting and ready to place the intake on. When test fitting the LD4B with the Fel-pro gaskets, the manifold bolts wouldn’t line up with the threads in the head since the gasket was too thick. Solution to that was sanding down the head side of the gaskets so the intake would site lower and allow the bolts to line up with the threads in the head.
IMG_3671_zpskxqb2unq.jpg

Since the LD4B does have coil mounting bosses, I used the 340-6 coil mounting bracket. The bracket required some grinding/cutting to clear the plenum it mounts around. As you can see in the photo, in 1975 there was a large wiring connector above the valve cover which made it difficult to mount the coil; thankfully the studs on the bracket are long so I used some washers to raise the coil mounting bracket/ring for more clearance when the coil was in place.
IMG_3717_zpsjfngci9l.jpg

Although the 4 barrel small blocks have the fuel filter up top and visible, I prefer the cleaner look of the filter being tucked away under the alternator. Plus with fuel cleanliness being a lot better now compared to 40+ years ago, needing to check the filter every time the hood is open isn’t as important. I’m not sure why Edelbrock suggests using a rubber line to the carb so I replaced that fitting with a flare fitting for the 5/16” steel hose that I then bent down to the fuel filter below the alternator.
IMG_3766_zpshqwloxn4.jpg

IMG_3826%201_zpsosairjjt.jpg

For the electric choke, in 1975 (perhaps the ’73 and ‘74’s have it too??) it had a single stage electric choke already so I reused the lead/connector that was already in the wiring loom. I double checked that it only provided power when in the “On” position which was the case. This saved time in having to run a wire off the 1406 elsewhere since it should not be connected to the coil.

Since there are always questions on the kickdown rod, here are a couple of photos:
IMG_3889_zpshletizqd.jpg

IMG_3886_zpsfb3mxbc1.jpg

Finished product:
IMG_3878_zpsxnmsts1s.jpg

I also replaced the distributor cap, spark plugs and plug wires since I had some time while I waited for some parts to arrive.

Aside from a fuel leak where the fuel line enters carb, which required re-flaring the line fitting, it fired up and ran. I’ve burped the coolant system and now need to play with the idle speed, mixture screws and timing.

That looks great. Let us know much fiddling it takes to dial that carb in, and how the improvement feels.

Nicely done! It's always good to have all the info and part numbers in one thread.

The original manifold may have had a choke timer mounted to it. It is very useful to extend the life of the choke element. It's job is to cut the power to the element after several minutes. They are usually mounted to the intake. They are nothing more than a a little relay with a heater and a bi-metal bar. Since they are mounted to the intake, they are somewhat sensitive to both ambient air temp, and engine temp.I always thought they did a great job. Jus saying.

Most of the vacuum lines on my 318 are 41+ years old so it crossed my mind that they should be replaced. I then looked closer at how many yards of line I’d have to replace and it was adding up so I thought getting rid of the vacuum lines would be a good idea. Best way to do that would be to get a pre-emissions manifold so my project/search began to upgrade my 2 barrel to a 4 barrel; I couldn’t go too wild since my car has collector plates and the insurance company is quite strict as to what modifications can be done to it without voiding my policy. I was considering a Weiand Stealth or a LD4B but settled on the LD4B since it is era correct and could be ordered through Chrysler which means it won’t void my insurance. After acquiring a LD4B the next step was choosing a carb and I settled on a 1406.

Depending on how quickly you want to do the project (and how much you want to spend) almost all of the parts are available new with the exception of the 4 barrel kick down rod that goes between the throttle bracket and carb. Year One sells an entire 4 barrel kick-down linkage down to the transmission but it’s several hundred $$ and 2/3’s of the components are not needed if you have the linkages already on your 904. I wasn’t in a rush so acquired the parts over several months.

I bounced some ideas/questions off a few members on the board here (thanks!) and some of you might recognize some of the parts. I know there are already a few threads on fabo about upgrading a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel which were helpful when sourcing the various parts required and this thread can add to the collection.

Now that the project is done, for those interested in doing the same thing, below is the complete parts list I used with equivalent part numbers

-Edelbrock LD4B intake manifold
-Edelbrock 1406 carb
-340 Six Pack coil mounting bracket (#407)
-Coil mounting bracket/ring (#8213)
-Throttle return spring, small block (#TS02)
-Throttle spring bracket, ’71 – ‘73 340 4 barrel (#736)
-Throttle cable bracket, ’68 - ’74 340/360 (#0060)
-Throttle kick-down spring, ’70-’74 (BF341)
-4 barrel kick-down rod (between carb and throttle bracket)
-Edelbrock carb linkage adaptor (1843)
-Fuel line flare fitting (AF440) only needed if you’re running a steel line to your carb instead of the suggested rubber line
-Edelbrock heat insulator gasket (9266)
-Fel-Pro intake manifold gasket (1243)
-Mopar performance valve cover gasket (MOPP5249581AB)

Tool:
-3/8” drive 9/16” torque adaptor (Proto 5118) Not required but is a must if you want to ensure the proper torque for several of the intake manifold bolts. It also prevented me from removing the distributor as I used it to remove/install the intake manifold bolt closest to the firewall that also holds the throttle cable bracket.

Here is what I was starting with:

A few vacuum lines:

Old intake manifold removed:

Valve covers and air cleaner could use some TLC so a little paint stripper and sanding/sand blasting resulted in something decent:

IMG_3165_zpszofmgwaf.jpg

Other parts ready for paint:

4 barrel kickdownrod:

Did some test fitting and ready to place the intake on. When test fitting the LD4B with the Fel-pro gaskets, the manifold bolts wouldn’t line up with the threads in the head since the gasket was too thick. Solution to that was sanding down the head side of the gaskets so the intake would site lower and allow the bolts to line up with the threads in the head.

Since the LD4B does have coil mounting bosses, I used the 340-6 coil mounting bracket. The bracket required some grinding/cutting to clear the plenum it mounts around. As you can see in the photo, in 1975 there was a large wiring connector above the valve cover which made it difficult to mount the coil; thankfully the studs on the bracket are long so I used some washers to raise the coil mounting bracket/ring for more clearance when the coil was in place.

Although the 4 barrel small blocks have the fuel filter up top and visible, I prefer the cleaner look of the filter being tucked away under the alternator. Plus with fuel cleanliness being a lot better now compared to 40+ years ago, needing to check the filter every time the hood is open isn’t as important. I’m not sure why Edelbrock suggests using a rubber line to the carb so I replaced that fitting with a flare fitting for the 5/16” steel hose that I then bent down to the fuel filter below the alternator.

For the electric choke, in 1975 (perhaps the ’73 and ‘74’s have it too??) it had a single stage electric choke already so I reused the lead/connector that was already in the wiring loom. I double checked that it only provided power when in the “On” position which was the case. This saved time in having to run a wire off the 1406 elsewhere since it should not be connected to the coil.

Since there are always questions on the kickdown rod, here are a couple of photos:

Finished product:

I also replaced the distributor cap, spark plugs and plug wires since I had some time while I waited for some parts to arrive.

Aside from a fuel leak where the fuel line enters carb, which required re-flaring the line fitting, it fired up and ran. I’ve burped the coolant system and now need to play with the idle speed, mixture screws and timing.
Great info on an upgrade. Thanks

How does it run? And have you asked about dual exhaust qualifying as an allowed modification according to this insurance company?
Really get a kick in the pants boost in power from a 4 bbl and dual exhaust.

That is a great write up, and I have bookmarked to be able to refer to it in the future.
Have you considered a new insurance co.?
C

The original manifold may have had a choke timer mounted to it. It is very useful to extend the life of the choke element. It's job is to cut the power to the element after several minutes. They are usually mounted to the intake. They are nothing more than a a little relay with a heater and a bi-metal bar. Since they are mounted to the intake, they are somewhat sensitive to both ambient air temp, and engine temp.I always thought they did a great job. Jus saying.

Yup my old manifold has a single stage choke timer on it; are you suggesting I place that before the electric choke on the carb so the choke is not "hot" all the time?

How does it run? And have you asked about dual exhaust qualifying as an allowed modification according to this insurance company?
Really get a kick in the pants boost in power from a 4 bbl and dual exhaust.

I sent in photos of the car when applying for the plates with the dual exhaust so they approved it.

That is a great write up, and I have bookmarked to be able to refer to it in the future.
Have you considered a new insurance co.?
C

Thanks. I wish I could consider another insurance company but it's a monopoly here so I have no other choice than to go with the Government insurance company.

So I've spent some time doing some carb tuning and checking the timing and then took it for a couple of test drives. It definitely has more "giddy-up" so I'm pleased with the results so far. I still need to figure a couple of things out though.

1) The thermostat housing is weeping a little so I'll need to remove it and try sealing it again.
2) I hear a vacuum leak but I haven't been able to figure out where it's coming from.
3) I've adjusted the carb (set idle speed and then adjusted the mixture screws) for maximum manifold vacuum. Manifold vacuum is 18 in-Hg with an idle speed of 725rpm in park and 580rpm in drive. My initial timing is 0 degrees.
At 1,500rpm my total timing (mechanical and vacuum advance) is 16 degrees with manifold vacuum of 22
At 2,000rpm my total timing is 27 degrees with manifold vacuum of 23
At 2,500rpm my total timing is 43 degrees with manifold vacuum of 23
At 3,000rpm my total timing is 44 degrees with manifold vacuum of 23

From all the reading I've done, 44 degrees is quite high. If I change my base timing to something BTDC (since all the reading I've done indicates I should be somewhere around 5 to 10 degrees BTDC), I should also adjust the vacuum advance pot so there's less vacuum advance? I'm running the stock distributor which must have a slower curve for the emissions equipment that used to be on the car so perhaps a new distributor would be a good idea too??

You definitely need more initial timing then 0.

Try 10-14 degrees BTDC for your base timing instead of 0 like you have it now. Start at 14 and take it for a good ride to see if it pings or detonates with the vacuum advance disconnected. Try a hot start to see if it cranks hard. If it does any of those things try 12 degrees and try again. 44 isn't high with the vacuum advance hooked up. One you get the timing set for 32-34 degrees of initial and mechanical advance hook up the vacuum advance and test drive it.

I run 19 degrees initial timing, 15 degrees of mechanical advance which takes until at 3,000rpm to fully come in and 20 degrees of vacuum advance hooked up to a ported vacuum source without any issues. This give me the best power and economy that I've found for my engine. That is 54 total degrees and I probably have more compression then you do.

That turned out really nice. And great write up. I would track that vacuum leak down before tuning. If you have a leak and fix it you will have to do everything over again.

1) The thermostat housing is weeping a little so I'll need to remove it and try sealing it again.
I bet your leak is coming out around the housing bolts, try some sealant or thread tape on the bolts. That's usually the source of the leak if you used a good gasket.

Looks great!
I know for a fact you'll feel the differance when those secondaries kick in!

Jeff

Played around with the timing light and vacuum gauge and found out the stock distributor has 22 degrees of mechanical advance (all in by 3,000rpm) and 24 degrees of vacuum advance. When turning the distributor, vacuum kept increasing up to 25 degrees initial which I thought was way too high so I backed it down to 11 and then adjusted the idle speed which brought it down to 7 degrees BTDC. I'll take it for a test drive tomorrow when the weather is better to hear how it sounds. Total timing is now 53.

32-35 degrees of total initial and mechanical timing at 3000rpm(since by then all the mechanical is in) would be right about where you want it.

Hook your vacuum advance up to a ported source and try it. 7 degrees of initial is still to low. 10-13 degrees initial should be about right.

Did some more tuning on the car and now have initial timing set at 14 degrees. So far no issues starting it after it's hot so I'll keep it there for now. With mechanical and vacuum advance "all in" I'm up at 60 degrees. No pinging when matting it going up a steep hill but then it's not summer weather anymore around here. I might consider getting the distributor recurved this winter.

Also noticed the transmission wouldn't kickdown when matting it so adjusted the kickdown linkage. The description below I got from another thread so I'm not taking credit for it but it explains what one needs to do. Transmission kickdowns now!

"Here's the correct adjustment procedure. With the engine OFF, lock the gas pedal on the FLOOR with a pedal jack....or someone's foot. Then make sure the carburetor linkage is open ALL the way. After verifying and or correcting that, look at the kickdown linkage. With the throttle still opened ALL the way, the kickdown linkage should be all the way BACK towards the firewall. [I noticed my kickdown linkage still moved back/down about a 1/4". Since my middle linkage rod isn't adjustable where it connects to the pivot point on the throttle bracket, it meant adjusting it down at the transmission]. If it is not, adjust it accordingly. Finally, get under the car and look at the kickdown rod where it goes into the lever on the transmission itself. If you can push the lever on the transmission BACK at ALL, you should adjust it so that it is ALL the way BACK towards the REAR of the car with the throttle still ALL the way on the floor. [Mine wasn't all the way back]. You may need to readjust at the carburetor when finished on the bottom. But when you are done, the transmission lever AT the transmission MUST be ALL the way BACK when the throttle is ALL the way open. [I've included a picture below but it just meant moving the rod with the red arrow on it forward until the pin connected to the end of it (one with the hitch pin) was far enough back so it was in with the lever all the way back under WOT]. Lastly, the kickdown MUST have a return spring on it. Not just on the carburetor, but also on the kickdown linkage itself to pull it ALL the way FORWARD when the gas pedal is released. Failure to have this spring installed can result in very hard shifting going into drive, reverse and second gear."

Since I've played with the timing and idle I'll recheck the idle mixture screws to ensure I'm not running too rich/lean. The 1406 so far is a pretty simple carb to work on (which is what everyone else says).

The intake and carb, plus advancing the timing has really woken up the engine; it's got a lot more giddy-up! My '75 has the fuel pacer option (low budget vacuum gauge which lights up the drivers side top fender mount signal light when manifold vacuum is less than 4). I kept it connected after the upgrade and it's been interesting seeing how often it comes on now.

Last edited:
IMO you should check your timing with the vacuum advance unhooked and the timed port plugged. Then after you get your total set you can hook it back up. Sorry if I missed this and it was already mentioned.

IMO you should check your timing with the vacuum advance unhooked and the timed port plugged. Then after you get your total set you can hook it back up. Sorry if I missed this and it was already mentioned.

No confusion on that. :thumbsup: I checked the timing with the vacuum advance unhooked and timed port plugged at various engine speeds to determine what my mechanical advance was. I then hooked up the vacuum advance and went through the same engine speeds to find out what my vacuum advance was.

-
Back