leaf spring inspection..what to look for??

-

turbofreek

batcrap crazy racing team
Reaction score
like the title says. i still have my stock multi leafs and i am about to throw a serious power gauntlet at them. what do i need to look for inspection wise to make sure they will stay together at least for a couple of hits with 1000rwhp on off the transbreaks?
smith race craft assassin bars,
double adjustable shocks from strange they are custom valved like a mercer/sanstuff
solid front bushings, 7/8" offset stock rear shackles. adjustable ride height front and rear boxes they mount to.
im concerned with how the clamps are to be like? and what to look at before i order split monos for the car. pic of all in a pile basiclly

IMAG0014_zps0vtfrqvy.jpg

Wow! a 1000hp engine and transbrake and you need help with what to look for on leaf springs?
OKAY
1) Look for wear and cracks in all the leafs or twists.
2) Make sure the center bolt is tight and not worn.
3) Replace the end bushings if cracked or mushroomed out. Look for excessive spread at the eyelets.
4) Dependant on if you are allowing the springs to "fan" when loaded... replace the spring pack clamps.
5) Always use new u bolts and nuts. Light oil when tightening them.
Good luck. When in doubt- replace them. You've come this far.
Joe

well actually more like 15-1800whp but not totally lost on the leafs. i just dont wanna buy new monos when i am going ladder bars very shortly after a few tnt weeks go by and winter sets in.

i was more wondering about the leaf clamps themselves. i have 2 that have some wiggle in them(1 per side both same spot on leafs). the rest of the leafs are fine. all the bushings and eyelets are new custom soli pieces. even the new hangers are adjustable to boot.
i intended to ditch them and have ladder bars under the car but ill save it till winter time to do that. as i will be buying larger double beadlocks for bigger tire fitment. i dont have 5k to drop on wheels right now.

-
Back