Leaf spring left and right, 7 1/4 rearend

-

Penstarpurist

Reaction score
So I have a few questions. My son is wanting to replace his sagging leaf springs. 71 valiant, 318/904, 7 1/4 rearend. First question, are leaf springs the same for the 7.25 and the 8.75 dimensionally? I ask because in his research he can't find specific 7.25 springs. They go by year of car and engine. Secondly. I see that there is a left and right side spring. When I swapped the 7.25 to an 8.75 in our big block duster I didnt realize that was the case, and don't remember seeing the even/odd numbers. Sure they were there, just didn't register seeing them. And I wire wheel cleaned them. Do I need to worry if they are wrong. If so do I need to drop the rearend ro check or can I distinguish by one being thicker or anything?

sometimes one side will have an additional leaf, but I doubt a 5 leaf pair has a specific side . Put in 64 Barracuda, they only came with a 7.25. I think they (A's) all are 2.5 wide with a 5/8 front spring eye.

Last edited:
The ones in our duster were out of a 340 car. They appear to be the same thickness and are the same leaf count. I'll search under 64 barracuda for them and see what comes up for them. And then maybe cross reference the numbers over to the others just to see if they are the same or there's a common.

The dimensions of the leaf springs were the same, at least from ‘67 to ‘76 regardless if it had a 7 1/4, 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 rear end. Only difference would be how many leaves they would have. Slant 6 cars would have had fewer leaves than 340 cars.

The dimensions of the leaf springs were the same, at least from ‘67 to ‘76 regardless if it had a 7 1/4, 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 rear end. Only difference would be how many leaves they would have. Slant 6 cars would have had fewer leaves than 340 cars.
Thanks for clarifying that. I was dreading having to unbolt the rearend to look.

-
Back