Leak at Speedo Cable???

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
I’ve noticed some fluid build up around the hex nut that secures the speedo cable to the speedo gear adaptor housing.

Thinking the inner seal on the adaptor housing was the culprit I ended replaced both the inner seal and o-ring.

Cleaned everything off, went for a drive and noticed fluid in the same spot. I assume if the inner seal is good, fluid should not get past it and possibly leak out of the speedo cable, correct? I’ve attached a picture of after the seal had been replaced and found fluid in the same spot after the drive.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

169C59BB-91CA-4F60-A696-3FF9BFAA5416.jpeg

You did right, you probably have some residual oil still in the cable. Did you fully drain the cable oil by pointing it downward? Is the inner seal installed correctly with the sharp side of the seal pointing toward the source of the oil?

What Murray said. It take a lot of brake clean to get it all out. The cable sucks that fluid up in there.

IMHO: Leave the oil in the cable. A small spot or two on the driveway is better than a dry cable. Grease is best to lubricate the cable but looking at the pics- your cable looks original and may need some love after all these years. The dripping will stop with use and heat.
Syleng1

When I disconnected the cable I did not let it hang down and drip because it never occurred to me that some of the oil would work its way up the cable. I did not install the seal myself. I purchased an assembled unit from Brewer's Performance, but the seal did look correctly installed.

It is the original speedo cable and works for the most part (needle bounces a bit), but based on everyone's advice here I think I'll just leave it as is - thanks.

-
Back