Leaking fresh air box??

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just noticed today that my fresh air box door when I opened it in the driveway was full of water?? The carpet on the floor was drenched. I think the stupid sponge rubber donut I bought which seals it around the lower cowel pan is leaking. I ran some water in the outside cowl louvers and sure enough water started dripping down into the fresh air box. The seal is brand new. Is there some way to tighten the heater box upward to maybe stop the leak or am I on for the remove the whole heater box deal. Oh, it is a 72 a/c car as well??

I have to remove/rebuild (Detroit Muscle) my heater box. The 1” lip up above the round seal is rusty. You could also have plugged up drains.

Your seals are fine. Inside the cowl area are raised ridges around the fresh air drops, probably 1" high or so. You can feel them if you reach in there. That means your cowl is getting 1" or more of standing water in it; so that means your cowl drains are plugged, most likely with leaves and other incidental debris.
The drains are located on the sides of the cowl, behind the fenders above where the hood hinges attach.
Fish some wire or something similar up the drains while flushing the cowl with water from above through the grate; you'll know when it frees up. Try to flush as much as you can out of there, then repeat on the other side.
It would be easier to explain with a pic, but I don't have one handy. Maybe someone else has one they can post up.

are your wiper washers hooked up? there is a sheet metal screw hole directly above the drivers fresh air vent on the cowl under the hood where the 1 into 2 transition is. you know where the washer hose from the washer reservoir hooks to on the cowl. it will leak right into your floor board from the fresh air vent there.

-
Back