Leed disk brake conversion kit

-

Sirensong

Reaction score
I’m sorting through the possibilities and options for my 67 Barracuda. It currently has power drums.

Can’t find much feedback on this Leed kit I’m interested in.

1967 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA Leed Brakes FC2001-8405 LEED Brakes Front Disc Brake Conversion Kits | Summit Racing

Has anyone used it or know how plug and play the kit is? I’m looking for a one stop package that has all the parts. Being in Canada sourcing stuff is a little trickier.

Any other advice or options very welcome. Cheers.

I have this kit on my Satellite and it is very good. I got it through PST. Very easy install and works well. Leed Brakes customer service is also excellent. The brake booster did fail after about 3 years - most of the kits use the Chinese gold ones, so instead of replacing with another cheap one I had a local brake shop adapt one from a modern Holden or Ford that's made in Australia.
From memory it uses Mustang pads so they are easy to replace amd readily available.

I've seen those offered here in Ontario. A local parts store is a distributor. I dont have any 1st hand knowledge, but I would make sure pistons, calipers, rotors are readily available. Good luck and keep us posted.
I’m sorting through the possibilities and options for my 67 Barracuda. It currently has power drums.

Can’t find much feedback on this Leed kit I’m interested in.

1967 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA Leed Brakes FC2001-8405 LEED Brakes Front Disc Brake Conversion Kits | Summit Racing

Has anyone used it or know how plug and play the kit is? I’m looking for a one stop package that has all the parts. Being in Canada sourcing stuff is a little trickier.

Any other advice or options very welcome. Cheers.

Sirensong,

I used SSBC-USA front disc brake kit A153 on my '71 Dart GT. I wanted to keep the 5 on 4" small bolt pattern Rallye wheels (I also have the factory SBP 8 3/4" rear end).

It was a very complete kit. I'd use them again.

Sirensong,

I used SSBC-USA front disc brake kit A153 on my '71 Dart GT. I wanted to keep the 5 on 4" small bolt pattern Rallye wheels (I also have the factory SBP 8 3/4" rear end).

It was a very complete kit. I'd use them again.

I’ve looked at that kit, but SSBC went out of business so I’m hesitant to buy old stock that might not have support.

I’ve read in some place the Leeds kit is essentially the same kit? I’m very new to Abodies so trying to download all the info I can.

I’ve looked at that kit, but SSBC went out of business so I’m hesitant to buy old stock that might not have support.

I’ve read in some place the Leeds kit is essentially the same kit? I’m very new to Abodies so trying to download all the info I can.
I just got the SSBC front disk conversion kit for SBP, 14” No need for replacement of spindles. Only issues so far is stuck lower rear bolt!!

Ya I get that. But when you need new pads or rotors what do you get from the parts store? Is it easily available
I’m a newbie at this stuff but In my research, yes I believe everything should be available,,,, I hope

SSBC went out of buisiness tho. This is why I haven’t really considered that kit. No support for it anymore.

They were bought out, the brand name is back up and running.

But with any aftermarket brake that is a consideration, who makes the consumable parts and where can you get them. It’s not a slam dunk for factory parts either though, just look at the availability issues with some of the SBP brakes. But the 73+ Mopar disks were used on most of the RWD Mopars up until the ‘90’s, so that stuff should be available for quite awhile.

They were bought out, the brand name is back up and running.

But with any aftermarket brake that is a consideration, who makes the consumable parts and where can you get them. It’s not a slam dunk for factory parts either though, just look at the availability issues with some of the SBP brakes. But the 73+ Mopar disks were used on most of the RWD Mopars up until the ‘90’s, so that stuff should be available for quite awhile.

I did not know that thanks. Is the 73+ stuff what the SSBC kit uses?

I did not know that thanks. Is the 73+ stuff what the SSBC kit uses?

No. The SSBC stuff is aftermarket, and some of it only SSBC makes. If I remember correctly some of the parts are modified Mustang KH disk parts.

DoctorDiff sells 73+ mopar based kits, everything is reproduction 73+ Mopar parts so all the wearing parts can be replaced at any local parts house if you want.

This is the standard 10.95" kit, basically the same exact stuff a 73+ A-body would have come with. Not sure if you're switching bolt patterns, but they're available in both the 5x4" and 5x4.5" pattern. The nice part, even if you are keeping the 5x4" pattern, is that if you wanted to upgrade to BBP later all you'd have to do is buy regular 73+ rotors.
10.95" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 1)

Or if you're running BBP wheels in a 15" or larger diameter you can get the 11.75" kit, which is still just 73+ spindles but with the later, larger 11.75" rotors from a B/R body. That kit isn't listed as being available for the 5x4" pattern, but, you could ask. The 11.75's with the larger 2.75" piston calipers make a big difference compared to the stock 73+ 10.95" rotors with the '73-'75 A-body 2.6" piston calipers, I ran them on my Challenger for like 70k+ miles. Even on a '72 Challenger with 275/40/17's on all 4's they did a great job on the street.
Mopar 11.75" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 2)

Cass @DoctorDiff is very knowledgeable, he can definitely help you with what you need specifically to convert your car to either one of those kits

No. The SSBC stuff is aftermarket, and some of it only SSBC makes. If I remember correctly some of the parts are modified Mustang KH disk parts.
As far as I can tell, this is correct. SSBC sells a caliper bracket that mounts calipers very similar to the KH four piston versions to drum brake spindles. The rotors look to be re-worked Mustang pieces. The pads may be the same as those which fit the KH calipers. The rotors are proprietary, and I believe the calipers are too. So, when SSBC goes out of business again, owners of their kits will again be stuck for replacement parts, again.

I called them a few months back to clarify some points. Their rebuild shop only works on SSBC products, and not OEM KH calipers. I asked if they would consider modifying Mustang rotors to work with Mopar A-Body KH brake systems. They weren't interested in discussing it.

B52’s!! Saw them in the 80’s great music
Absolutely one of my favorites. They're going on a farewell tour starting next month. I'm not sure if Keith Strickland will be with them or not. He quit touring a few years back, but might return for the finale. It's hard to believe it's been more than 40 years since I first heard Rock Lobster.
Tour — The B-52s (theb52s.com)

-
Back