left over parts 360 build

-

skrews

Reaction score
So after 12 years of hotroddin/racing my junk and working at an engine shop I've amassed quite a collection of used/pulled off engine parts. Thought to myself why not build a motor with all this stuff thats why we save it right. So the plan became this, put together an engine with as much used, cast off, and factory stuff for as cheap as possible . I had a bunch of 360 cores so I plucked out the most used up one I had (already .030 over) not wanting to use a good one on a motor that was going to be built this cheap. Went through my crank collection and had a nice one out of a Magnum. Used the rods from the Magnum motor too, ground the balance pads off, polished the beams, resized with ARP bolts I pulled out of set rods that were improperly resized. Bought a set of Sealed Power hyperutectic 4 valve relief flat top pistons with moly ring set for $130 off Ebay. Also got the bearings and gaskets there for cheap too. Used a set of 596 heads with 1.88 MP valves I had on the shelf and 1.6 Milodon valves scored off Craigs list. Pretty good port job yielding 235/180 CFM @28" (192/131 CFM stock). Told myself I wasn't going to get carried away on the heads for this thing, but that didn't happen. Assembled them with some Comp 926 single springs and 10 degree locks/retainers I pulled off my worn out 340. Shaved them 50 thou. got to down to 57cc. The block got the full treatment sonic tested for good thickness, square decked, mains line honed, honed with deckplate. Weight matched the internals and balanced the crank with an LA 360 damper and B&M flexplate. Screwed the short block together with an OEM windage tray from the parts pile, a low mile Magnum oil pump, and a $45 Ebay oil pan. Used a .484 Purple Shaft cam and double roller timing chain I ran in my 340 for a season years ago. Just to satisfy my curiosity I mapped out the specs on that cam. Mopar says 284 advertised duration, 241 @.050, .484 lift. Wrong, its actually 294 adv., 238 @.050, .480 lift and 143 @.200. Thats a slow lobe profile, not sayin its a bad cam but it aint what Mopar says it is, and it aint what a lot of guys think it is when it comes to agressiveness I remeasured it 3 times to be sure. Compression worked out to 9.7 with my heavily cut heads and my .050 down the hole 8.5 comp. pistons. Capped it off with a spread bore iron 360 intake with the EGR junk plugged, the carb pad opened up to match a square bore adapter, and port matched ( had to slot the holes a ways ). Used a set of heavy duty stamped MP rockers and replacement pushrods out of my buddies blown up 360. Old M/T valvecovers from the swap meet. In to this thing for about $500.
On to the dyno with 1.75 headers and a 750 doublepumper on a 2" tapered spacer
428 HP @ 5700
449 TQ @ 4300
With an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap everything else the same
442 HP @ 6000
460 TQ @ 4700

In my 3350 lbs Duster it runs 7.5 at 89 1/8 mile and 11.8 at 112 1/4 mile
8" 4500 stall converter 904, 4.56 gear, 28" slick 1.57 60 ft. time
I figured that this thing would only hit about 375 hp and run mid 12s :toothy8:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl2jA6zHDb4"]360 on the Dyno - YouTube[/ame]

At 14HP & 12 Ft. L s of torque under the RPM, I'd say the factory intake was preeeeety good.
How did you measure the cam?
I ask this because of the extreme diff. In readings.

Used a large dia. degree wheel and dial indicator off of the lifter. I think we all have read or heard the wives tales about the old .484 cam. How its so aggressive and nobody has bested it in 30 years bla bla bla. Then there's all that silly crap In those Mopar engine books about how you get the duration @ .050 by multiplying the advertised dur. by some number like .850 as I recall. So I had to know the truth and direct lifter measurement is the only way to get the real facts. I was shocked that they are as far off their claimed specs as they are, so I rechecked it twice same numbers every time. I have profiled dozens of cams this way to verify specs and most manufactures are very close if not dead on.

Not a engine guru but I would have certainly thought it would have been closer to 360-380 horse. That's quite impressive. Must have been some good work on those heads.

In revisiting this thread, that was really a good run.
I thought about the HO levels produced against the thoughts on power output.
Going back in my memory, MP had there early create engine, the 360/360 that used that same MP cam with a single plane IIRC & stock 2.02 heads.

I love the fact of the dyno showing the power prowess of the iron intake everybody ether throws away or trashes the ability. It just shows what I have been saying for years is true.
The OE intake is t so Danm bad!

I sold that motor a few years back. Ulimately ran 11.00 at 119 with a swap to a solid cam and better converter.

I'm trying to build about the same thing using years of aquired parts to go summer racing with 318willnotrun. Just for fun.

What gear were you using in your Duster?

Current motor is an even cheaper down and dirty build that runs 10.5s at 126.
Screwed together from parts from several blown up motors, scraps, and and left overs.
Used everything, and I mean everything.
SRP flat top pistons out of 2 blown up 360s. Used rings from said blown up 360s. Used bearings from my old race motor. Used oil pump made from pump gears out of one pump, and the housing from another. Used .528cam. used timing chain. Used circle track Chevy motor take out valves, valve springs, locks, and retainers. 273 iron rockers. Heavily worked 596 iron heads flowing 265/185 that I rescued from the scrap pile. Heavily reworked M1 intake from one of the blown up 360s.
Only new parts were the gaskets, rear main seal, and paint.

I think it runs pretty good all things considered.

0526180803.jpg

What cam did you reuse in this motor?
Did you use the Duster agin?
Got a build on this one too?

Last edited:
I'm not much for leftovers, but this one you served up nice. Nice !

What cam did you reuse in this motor?
Did you use the Duster agin?
Got a build on this one too?

Same car 72 Duster
904 with 5800 vert
4.56 Dana
28x10.5 tire
750 spare parts build Holley
11.75:1 comp (heads milled .070 55cc)
1.75 Super Comp headers
50/50 91 pump gas / AV gas

DSCN1635.JPG

Used timing set?!? Come on man, have some self respect.

Just kidding, cool build.

I'm trying to build about the same thing using years of aquired parts to go summer racing with 318willnotrun. Just for fun.

What gear were you using in your Duster?
LOL.... 2nd time I've been called "318willnotrun"... :D
I'm just half tempted to beat ya with a 318 ……. by 318willrun :D
:lol:

-
Back