Let it begin

-
Well progress was made last night and now I have lots of clean up to do , with the motor out the engine bay looks a lot dirtier . Keeping a slant 6 balanced out of the car was a small challenge when I started removing control arms and accessories .

IMG_20181106_184507.jpg

IMG_20181106_184512.jpg

IMG_20181106_185523.jpg

Heres an update , I wanted to detail the engine bay a little bit before I installed the motor . I still have a little more to do but heres a few pics .

IMG_20181201_131953.jpg

IMG_20181201_131958.jpg

MVIMG_20181201_132001.jpg

Well I should get the motor installed this weekend . I had a couple of shims made for my motor mounts because I was nervous about clearance with the (Doug's) headers . I did a test fit tonight and so far I'm very impressed with the fit , I'll see how it goes once the motor is back in . Here's a couple of motor pics .

IMG_20181212_191303.jpg

IMG_20181212_191317.jpg

Every piece fits, no modifications needed.

Yep. I used 10x2.5" BBB drums and backing plates off a 1974 7.25 on my 8.75 rear. Everything bolted right on.

I got the radiator and shroud mounted today . I also started on the fuel lines and learned that push lock fittings are not easy but I think they are worth the effort . My goal is to fire this motor by new years day . I've never heard this motor run so I'm hoping I don't have to undo all my effort but if it happens it happens .

Well I'm back . after some illness and being busy with work I'm getting things done again . I finished the fuel system , checked for leaks and all is good . Next up will be the ignition and prime the oil system . I'm going to have a lot of cleaning up to do , I've been setting things up in a temporary mode . I just want to hear the motor run . More to come

Last edited:
OK here's another update , I'm starting to put the front suspension back together with new ball joints and tie rod ends . I got everything ready to go back together when I stumbled on a disc brake set up at the swap meet that had all new ball joints and bushings ready to install . So now I've gone this route which is what I needed to do anyway . I want to say thanks to my68barracuda for the loan of his ball joint socket . More pics coming

OK I haven't posted for awhile but I'm down to installing the new master cylinder and doing the final plumbing of the cooling system . I hope to drive around the block sometime next week (if its not raining) and start my list of what needs to be corrected . I installed my new proportion valve last night and I would like to ask Chrysler who thought it was a good idea to mount it in such crappy location ? In case anyone missed my other post , I found that a 98-99 Durango driveshaft is a perfect fit with conversion joints for my set up . They can be had pretty cheap from the bone yard . I did a lot of things twice out of ignorance and parts not being what they were suppose to be but I feel pretty good about how things have turned out . I will post some final photo's/video when I'm done . I will probably never do this kind of swap again mainly because I don't relax and enjoy the process . One satisfying thought is when something goes wrong I know who to blame .

On that whole proportioning valve thang, i bought a GM type for my car and my sons car along with tubing kits from inline tube that included gravel guard and various fittings. I plan on mounting the valves to brackets under the master cylinders on each car using chevy S-10 valve mounting brackets. Then i will route everything from there.

First reason i went for the GM valve types is availability on the cheap, second reason mounting points on the valve being a bolt in on an S-10 bracket which will fit to a 2 bolt mopar master cylinders mounting studs getting it up off the framerail to an easier servicable position. Third reason sons car will be 4 wheel disc with explorer 8.8, i need a disc/disc proportioning valve. 4th reason gonna plumb both cars exactly the same using my 67 as a template. Only difference will be rear axle hard line on explorer axle. Fifth reason is i use whatever works for my applications and appears right to me. Using a hyundai tiburon antifreeze puke bottle works and appears stock to the untrained eye. Pix are in mock up stage

downloadfile-101.jpg

Last edited:
I put my proportioning valve under the master cylinder like you plan to do.

IMG_4481.JPG

-
Back