Let the Fun Begin - 1965 Barracuda Project

-

WI-Barracuda

Reaction score
Well to those of you who have responded to some of my previous posts (ie. 273 vs 318 discussion, 4spd vs auto), you know I had recently purchased a 1965 Barracuda project. The project came with two cars, an automatic and a 4-speed car. The auto car was an original 2bbl, but the engines that were included in the purchase were not Commando motors. The motors turned out not to be as nice as we had hoped and so we decided to go with a late 70s 318 we scored for free. The engine builder who was going to work on getting the 318 engine into the auto car and running, unexpectedly hurt himself and is now going to have to go in for surgery and will be unable to work on the car for us. This meant the car had to come back to my garage and I will now be begging and pleading with all my car guys for favors to help get this thing up and running. Now that we aren't on a timeline to get it out of his shop, I have also decided that I am going to use the 4spd parts car and convert the auto to manual. Also there appears to be some shotty electrical work done, so thinking about going with a new harness. Recommendations?

I know that I am getting in over my head and my budget on this project, but going to be a good 3 generation project between myself, my father and my 10 year old son. I will post pictures as it progresses!

Wish me luck and please be patient with all my questions I will be posting for help and feedback on this forum! Thanks in advance for all your help going forward and all that everyone has already provided!

IMG_20190106_160056056.jpg
IMG_20190109_190143756.jpg
IMG_20190109_190207153.jpg
IMG_20190109_190228810.jpg
IMG_20190109_190258787.jpg

IMG_20181222_150630671.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like its a little less work than mine. I will be watching.
My 65 is a long way from putting an engine in.

Having 3 generations complete a car is a dream project!!! It's going to be a blast.

Take your time, but try to work on it regularly. There is a TON of knowledge on this site from members ready to answer your questions.

Looks like a fun project - looking forward to watching your progress and cheering you on.

Been there done that:lol: glad to hear another early A is getting a new life!

My wife has developed a strong liking for the older fastbacks. Her favorites are the 64-65 Barracudas and the 66-67 Chargers. I have subscribed too, and look forward to seeing the progress! :)

Great project, doing a 66 resto myself. Got my wiring harness thru Classic Industries. Good luck.

Tim

Nice project team!

Bill Evans wiring makes nice factory appearing wire harnesses if you want plug-n-play. You can specify custom things like electronic ignition, alternator, options, etc. Just tell them what you want and they make it.

So just bought an engine stand for the 318, but forgot it didn't come with bolts. Running errands now can anyone quickly tell me the bolt size I will need?

Be careful bolting the driver side exhaust manifold to the later 318. There’s a water passage bump that the 273 doesn’t have that won’t let the manifold lay flat. If you grind there’s a possibility of breaking through.

Be careful bolting the driver side exhaust manifold to the later 318. There’s a water passage bump that the 273 doesn’t have that won’t let the manifold lay flat. If you grind there’s a possibility of breaking through.

Is the bump on the head or the block? That's good info I have never heard before!

So got the engine stand set up and got it mounted last night. Didn't have much energy to do much else, plus the 4 Miller Lites with the guys, kinda set us up for the typical everyone stand around the car in the garage and just drink! :) Pulled off the valve covers and didn't see anything that really scared me and was pleasantly surprised on how well everything looks. Will tackle removing the manifold and carb next, as I would like to go with a 4bbl and aluminum manifold. Also need to remove the late 70's water pump and go with a period correct factory one.

IMG_20190113_114140270.jpg
IMG_20190113_114129114_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Do you need correct 65 exhaust manifolds? Youll need to plug those smog ports, just a zip with a MIG gun is way faster than drilling and tapping for allen plugs. Those bumps are easy to ID. Used to have a pic of 'em on here but I cant locate it.

I still have to go through all the parts I have to see if I have some. Otherwise I will need to find a set. A picture would help on those bumps cause I am not sure where they are.

Last edited:
here is an area that may interfere with a 64-65-66 273 driver side log. Just grind down the corner and plug the hole. Its not a block issue.
bump.jpg

360 into 64 post #31

Can I use the manifolds from the 273 because I think I have some extras of those in my parts or are the holes on the 318 slightly larger?

Also, I put some valve covers that look like they came off the 273, that I think would work/look better on the 318. Any issues with using the older valve covers on a new 318?

Lastly, is it not recommended to sand blast valve covers due to how hard it might be to get the sand out from the inside? Or should I just wire wheel them if I want to put a fresh coat of paint on them?

Have a great weekend everyone!

Don't sandblast the insides of the covers. If you can tape off the insides and holes and blast the outsides. Otherwise you will need to cut out he baffles to get the sand out of the crap that's inside them.

Following. Started mine 7 years ago. Have finished a lot but have a lot to do. I have reinstalled to original 273 commando.
Good luck

Sorry it has been so long since my last updates, but between work and the weather here in WI, I haven't been making a ton of progress on the car.

One quick question, can I get some feedback on a good intake and carb setup for this car? I am just looking for this to be a good driver with a little getup and good when needed. Thinking about going with an aluminum intake, but again, I will lean on everyone here for some suggestions.

Thanks!

You mentioned in your original post that the automatic car was a Commando 2 barrel. Commando's were 4 barrel engines only. If you look on the fender tag there will be a 30 under AB if it's a 2 barrel and a 31 under AB if it's a Commando.

-
Back