Lets see your small block 4-bbl throttle return spring setups.

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
This is what I have:
Throttle Return Springs.jpg

My buddy thinks I should switch to something like the Mancini Racing set up seen here:
mancini-racing-throttle-return-kit-234.jpg

What do you have?

Your buddy is right, your set up pulls the throttle shaft back at all times and will wear the shaft faster.

I like the Mancini setup but I like to see the throttle cable and the return spring in a straight line with one another with a minimum amount of angle to the throttle stud.

Mancini setup looks stock, and I've never had issues with properly adjusted factory linkage. I've heard of frustrations getting Lokar setup properly tho.
Good to know about the constant pull on throttle shafts!

I run the Lokar set up on my 64 440 B-body. It works fine for me and has a cleaner look.
The Mancini set up mounts the return spring forward and above the throttle shaft. The Lokar set up mounts the return spring rearward and below the throttle shaft.
As far as throttle shaft wear. I really do not see any difference between the two.
Any spring mounted to a linkage set up, creates a constant preload on a pivot bearing no matter where its mounted.

100_5043.JPG

This one is from All Star. It was their "Mopar" one but it didn't fit the stock cable. I contacted them to make them aware and they weren't overly concerned that their product didn't work in its intended application. I switched to a Lokar cable since the stock was getting too short and used the "GM" cable end and everything worked. The mount at the throttle lever needs to pivot and I put some silicone grease on it. Ideally this should have a plastic bushing and thrust washers but after my conversation with All Star those concepts we're probably beyond them.

I don't have an Automatic.

upload_2021-10-11_7-33-59.png

I had to make a 1” riser block on my throttle linkage, to get it to pull somewhat in line. I used the AR Engineering high rise intake throttle cable bracket, & throttle return spring bracket. Seems to work more smoothly now.

73E4107E-9867-4798-94B8-86EB21B4E353.jpeg

6C46B7E5-7A37-488F-A40F-4BF5979A5CCA.jpeg

I like the Lokar setup. Mostly for aesthetics. I just like the look of both cables being aft of the carb with nothing stick out forward. Just my two cents.

That setup DANO has is idea. Notice that the direction of pull from the cable is focused more directly against the return spring instead of using the throttle shaft as a cantilevered pivot point for the forces between the spring and cable. This is the way the carburetor companies illustrate the linkage as the correct way of setting it up. Adding a kickdown makes a little more hassle, but nothing a little extra creativity can't contend with.

That setup DANO has is idea. Notice that the direction of pull from the cable is focused more directly against the return spring instead of using the throttle shaft as a cantilevered pivot point for the forces between the spring and cable. This is the way the carburetor companies illustrate the linkage as the correct way of setting it up. Adding a kickdown makes a little more hassle, but nothing a little extra creativity can't contend with.

You mean I got something right?!!!! I'll take it!!

-
Back