Let's talk about trucks

-
My 95 Dodge Ram racked up 300,000 miles (most by me) but I had to start babying the trans to get it to shift right. Other than the normal stuff like water pump and fuel pump, tune up parts, it was super reliable with its 5.2/A500 combo.

My 95 Dodge Ram racked up 300,000 miles (most by me) but I had to start babying the trans to get it to shift right. Other than the normal stuff like water pump and fuel pump, tune up parts, it was super reliable with its 5.2/A500 combo.
I would take a 318 MAgnum in a heartbeat.

My last 2 daily driver vehicles have been manual transmissions, specifically to avoid potential $X,*** transmission issues.

You Yankees in the rust belt. WHY don't you all take a vacation down SOUTH and buy a used truck? You drive it back and wife drives the other back.
Reminds me of seeing the bottom side pis of your Northern project cars on here, and the owner is so excited as he prolaims it so much better than 99% of the worse ones! I just say "oh chit!"
We flew down to Texas last December and picked up a clean '99 Tahoe with with just over 100k miles on it. Drove it 1600 miles back home. Paid $9k for it. We keep it off the road once the salt hits the ground. Have an old '96 Suburban that's a victim of the salt that I drive during the winter months. Great running truck at over 200k miles but the rust is going to retire this thing completely in the next 2-3 years. Then it'll be a parts truck only. Man, do I envy you all outside the salt belt that see 300k+ miles on a vehicle and the body is still intact.
30630D1F-8EE3-4F54-8D7F-3A0DA0224B36.jpeg
FFC4BA06-336A-4287-8C66-6BF5228F62C6.jpeg
E1143B76-1D3B-493F-B41B-FC6FEAB0D7F7.jpeg

Last edited:
We flew down to Texas last December and picked up a clean '99 Tahoe with with just over 100k miles on it. Drove it 1600 miles back home. Paid $9k for it. We keep it off the road once the salt hits the ground. Have an old '96 Suburban that's a victim of the salt that I drive during the winter months. Great running truck at over 200k miles but the rust is going to retire this thing completely in the next 2-3 years. Then it'll be a parts truck only. Man, do I envy you all outside the salt belt that see 300k+ miles on a vehicle and the body is still intact.
There's a lot of um runnin around here, too.

Personally, I am a Ford guy, especially when it comes to trucks. The last 2 later model Chrysler products that I've owned were just crap. A 2005 Magnum R/T that puked the transmission at 100k miles, and an '03 Ram hemi that the motor **** the bed at 130k, and was a rust bucket.
I really like the older "square body" GM trucks, had several of them, but I find that the newer ones are not very comfortable. Drivetrains seem to be solid though. Known a few people that owned Tundra's, their only real complaint was fuel economy.
I'm looking at buying a newer F-150 or Expedition in the near future, at least I'm hoping to.

Rust ain't all bad

This week I've been working on the plow truck (05 superdookie) and I needed to run some wires from the back into the cab

Didn't even need to drill a hole, just lift the carpet!

20220824_103433.jpg

When I was looking I decided "NO" OHC engines of any kind (I didn't want a 4 whanger). Since there are no Mopar pushrod V8's since? 2000? except the hemi, GM has the LS based, and we -don't- want- a - Ford--------that leaves the Cummins 6, the LS GM stuff, and a hemi Dodge. Many of you remember I had a nice V6 98 Ranger--pushrod--that got wrecked. The OHC that replaces it has something like 3 or 4 timing chains and you pretty much must pull the engine to replace them

All this "partly" is why I'm now tearing apart my 2WD Cummins and a 4WD donor to make a 4WD Cummins out of

Personally, I am a Ford guy, especially when it comes to trucks. The last 2 later model Chrysler products that I've owned were just crap. A 2005 Magnum R/T that puked the transmission at 100k miles, and an '03 Ram hemi that the motor **** the bed at 130k, and was a rust bucket.
I really like the older "square body" GM trucks, had several of them, but I find that the newer ones are not very comfortable. Drivetrains seem to be solid though. Known a few people that owned Tundra's, their only real complaint was fuel economy.
I'm looking at buying a newer F-150 or Expedition in the near future, at least I'm hoping to.
From 73-79 Ford made the best trucks on the planet. I'm glad I have one.

Looking for something about 10 years old you say? My brother has had a 2007 Silverado since almost new. OK, so that's 15 years old, but I would think that any Chevy or GMC in that generation would be pretty much the same (2007 - 2013). That thing has been crazy reliable for him, with about 260,000 miles on the clock right now. He has the LTZ, which has the 6 liter engine. I'm not a Chevy guy myself (or a truck guy for that matter), but I can't argue with how well his truck has held up.

I just found this article from back in the day but I didn't read it: Tested: 2007 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4X4

Two things..
First my 98 ram is in near mint condition underneath.. If you're going that route I'd be looking outside the rust belt... The 5.9 Magnum can be had for $200 at the pick & pull with a 6 month warranty....
My wife got a new car last year and we figured when it was paid for we could get me a new truck... I looked at a new dodge gas engine 4×4 no large upgrades... 80+k !!!!!!.... Wayyyyy out of my league... So I bought a project 74 club cab power wagon and "over time" did a ground up restoration... New problem.. I did such a good job it's to nice and I'm not comfortable leaving it alone :BangHead:...

If I had to choose a truck from the big 3 I’d pick a Ford with a 5.0.
I had one and absolutely hated it
Sluggish pig

One day it backfired at the boat ramp and caught fire...I stood there for 30 seconds seriously contemplating dropping it in neutral and letting it roll into the lake

(And I'm STILL catching flack for owning that truck on here)

Sluggish pig

One day it backfired at the boat ramp and caught fire...I stood there for 30 seconds seriously contemplating dropping it in neutral and letting it roll into the lake

My buddy has one 2014 F150 and he drives the piss out of it. It has tons of power near 400HP not so much for towing. I like my old dodges but I personally wouldn’t own a dodge truck unless it was a diesel.

Sluggish pig

Not the same 5.0 as your Bronco was, besides from what I have heard about it, that Bronco of yours was a poorly modified pos. The Coyote 5.0 is a very good motor, makes a ton of power and is decent on fuel.

i drove a 91 sb dodge that i put together and drove it for about 10k miles. neighbor had a 99 dodge 2500 4x4 quad cab he wanted to sell. so i paid 500.00 for it. runs like at top. 91k on odometer. since then, a 2012 ram 4 door arizona truck came up for sale close to home here in ill for 8000.00. i jumped on that like a sailor that has been out to sea for 12 months. i still have about 10-12 trucks to put together/sell/trade/scrap when i get time. i have 4 magnum engines and 3 la sm blk sitting in garage to put in some of them. i will use one of them for a back up i guess. seems to be a lot of trucks on fake book but no one wants to admit whether they sold them or not. most are way too high priced. i can't give my sb away for under 4k. so who knows.

If I "had to" get a Ford truck it would absolutely have to be of an age where I could get a 300-6, a 302, a 351w or maybe even a 360. Or it won't be mine.
Id looked at some Fastenal trucks a few years ago and wish I'd have gotten one then of I was gonna end up with one anyway. I ended up getting mine from a Chevy/Buick dealer instead of straight from Fastenal and I didn't get as good of a deal as I would have from them. They're not selling near as many these days as they were, and when they are they have more miles on them than the ones they were selling a few years ago and they are wanting more for them when they do sell. The only reason I got something that new was because while I wanted to go back to a full size anyway, my 99 Dakota it replaced, did so only because of the frame being in questionable shape near the passenger side front leaf spring hanger where the front and back sections overlap.
But if I was gonna make a change, I was at a point where I didn't have enough cash in hand, needed some bank assistance to make it happen //and that was the oldest truck that they would loan anything on.
Honestly I'd rather have had a 68-87-ish dodge (I know that covers a couple of body styles)
As I like how they ride and handle so much better than the newer one, and I definitely don't need all the electronics. Or particularly WANT them.
I have had several dodges from 78 to 97, and now this 12. I don't see many older ones but those I do aren't rusted as bad as many I see made in the 2000s ... I fear for the life of this 12 body wise, I know a guy who has an 11 and it looks like it's lived its life next to the titanic and was recently drug up. I see 200-teens ford's daily, all rotted out at work. The 2005-11ish are especially notorious for the bed support rails disintegrating. I've seen a few 08-10ish f150s with Holey, rotted frames already.
This 85 d150 I have I can still read the painted stenciled numbers on it's frame. Granted, for a northern Indiana truck that's the exception, but I'm gonna take that one and run with it....
It needs more bodywork from the past owner being basically blind than from rust.
I have never owned any brand besides Dodge and didn't see any reason to change now.
I did buy a 5 gallon bucket of NHOU undercoating that my 12 will be getting douched with underneath here before the salt flies. But I still have a 96 Dakota 4wd that will continue as my winter mule to keep the 12 out of the salt and slop as much as possible.

One thing that was a must was a 8' bed and a V8
I wanted to avoid another white truck but I did have to concede that one, to get the rest of what I was after.

I currently drive a rusted out 2005 Hemi Ram 1500 (150,000 miles). If I had to look for a different pickup it'd be either the same 2004-2005 Ram or a 2003-2006 Chevy Silverado 1500. Don't care the miles just a southern pickup without the rust.

I will own nothing with VVT or MDS.

Last edited:
Sluggish pig

I thought that was a Bronco with a 351.

I have been a Dodge truck man all most my whole life.
Made a big mistake back in 13 and was talked into a Chevy and it was not even close to what I had in my Dodges and I have had many at my age of 75.

From the D models up to my 2016 Ram I have now and drive the 1985 from April thur Sept. here in Michigan.
CIMG0292.JPG

I have been a Dodge truck man all most my whole life.
Made a big mistake back in 13 and was talked into a Chevy and it was not even close to what I had in my Dodges and I have had many at my age of 75.

From the D models up to my 2016 Ram I have now and drive the 1985 from April thur Sept. here in Michigan.View attachment 1715985604
Looks much like the one that I have in my garage slowly bringing it back to life

-
Back