Let's talk about trucks

-
Only thing worse then metric is the system they use to measure tires, that's a mixed bag of nuts right there
Yup and thing about it, the old alpha numeric was fine. E 78 14. What's not to understand?

My buddy has one 2014 F150 and he drives the piss out of it. It has tons of power near 400HP not so much for towing. I like my old dodges but I personally wouldn’t own a dodge truck unless it was a diesel.
I absolutely think the diesel thing is a personal preference. Just like a manual transmission or an automatic. Also intended purpose and so forth....
I think the debate is probably ongoing...

I bought a 10 avalanche last november. 200,000 miles (320,000km) on the clock.
$8000 canadian. I personally wouldnt buy a ford or a dodge truck, simply due to repair costs. Leaking intake for example. Ford and dodge 4-5 hours, chevy LS 1 and a bit.
Spark plugs? Chevy wins hands down. Drawback, cam and lifter issues,oil pressure issues. But used replacement engines are a dime a dozen,$1000 gets a decent drop-in.
As far as the box limitations, i have flat deck trailer,dump box trailer and an enclosed trailer so im not the least bit concerned.
Fold back seat down, can haul 8 foot lumber and its locked in and out of prying eyes.

I do have a newer truck 17 Ram 3500 which I bought new and it has been a fantastic truck, but it sucks fuel hard and rides stiff. I still have it.

I have also had some other newer trucks, and did not keep them long.
19 Tacoma, decent truck, excellent fuel mileage, but it was a 4 cyl, my wife drove it once and said it did not have enough power to fight its way out of a wet paper bag, I would have to agree, it was gutless. Traded it for a 19 Ram.

19 Ram 1500 standard cab short box, I should have kept this truck, good mileage V6 it was a nice overall balanced truck for my needs, I still had the 3500 for heavy hauling. Traded the 1500 for a Challenger.

I did pick up an 85 D150 short box a few weeks ago, I am seriously thinking about using it for my daily driver and selling the Challenger.
The D150 is a 440 727 8.75 so kinda a toy, that will still haul 2x4's and do truck stuff.

Okay now, I think we need to define "modern conveniences." What I really want and need is air conditioning, and maybe being able to hear Waylon would be nice. Maybe what I meant was to say I wanted air conditioning. LOL
Plenty of old stuff has AC.

Okay now, I think we need to define "modern conveniences." What I really want and need is air conditioning, and maybe being able to hear Waylon would be nice. Maybe what I meant was to say I wanted air conditioning. LOL
Waylon would be nice, but each time I see the title of this thread it sounds like this

Sorry

Only thing worse then metric is the system they use to measure tires, that's a mixed bag of nuts right there
I agree. Not that US standards were all that great. But metric made it worse.

When I built my 74 power wagon I put 23,000 BTUs of AC in there... If you grab the billet handles on the four-wheel drive twin sticks you're liable not to be able to let go of it as they make freeze to your hand LOL... And lots of sound deadening in there so I can hear the radio...
PXL_20220207_222519770.jpg

Last edited:
I just found a nice looking 05 Dakota in Chicago. Damn thing has a 4.7. They are either good or toast.
Agree. I had a 4.7 01 Dak (almost 290k when sold) that lived a hard life of clutch dump burnouts and me using it as a construction truck. That was a Good one! I have a 07, 3.7 now with a cracked head and a leaking rear main. We've been driving it all over Florida working in it daily for almost a year.... a good one? I dunno, but it's Damn Tough! My old 02 Ram 5.9 with almost 300k was a 4 door beast with a factory tow package, and 6 way heated leather seats with king and queen a/c. Advance Auto Hub bearing killed it. Should have left the slightly loose factory one on there.... my 00.Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo had OVER 300 k on it when it got cut off and totalled last Christmas.

Last edited:
Air is a must for me. I will say I enjoy my truck with the power windows and locks so I think I need those. The next truck will get remote start and keyless entry if it doesn't have it. Both my 96's have ok radios. I don't need much. The newer trucks have a computer screen which I don't need. I use navigation on my phone as well as all the features it is capable of. Oh and 4 wheel drive. The snow can get pretty deep here.

This is the last year for the Ram Ecodiesel. It's a shame because it has around 12,000 lbs towing capacity and 400+ lb/ft torque. I had one for a little while and got 32 mpg on a trip to Oklahoma and back to San Diego. I should have kept that truck.

This is the last year for the Ram Ecodiesel. It's a shame because it has around 12,000 lbs towing capacity and 400+ lb/ft torque. I had one for a little while and got 32 mpg on a trip to Oklahoma and back to San Diego. I should have kept that truck.
That sucks. They are killing all the good stuff..

88-98 or so GM truck is the best truck GM ever built. Rides like a car and works like a truck. Easy to work on. My 88 can knock down 19 mpg. 170000 miles 5.7 (350 ci. for you metric challenged folks) the 700r will scratch ‘‘em into second on a good day. Mine is a regular cab. One of the next collector trucks I believe. Much like the Dodge. Ford, not so much.

88-98 or so GM truck is the best truck GM ever built. Rides like a car and works like a truck. Easy to work on. My 88 can knock down 19 mpg. 170000 miles 5.7 (350 ci. for you metric challenged folks) the 700r will scratch ‘‘em into second on a good day. Mine is a regular cab. One of the next collector trucks I believe. Much like the Dodge. Ford, not so much.
A friend had one of those. Had a girdle for the accessories one the front. Very prone to cracking. And kinda a pain to play with. Other than that, the Zombie was OK. Good utility truck. Saved my dog from the pound....

A friend had one of those. Had a girdle for the accessories one the front. Very prone to cracking. And kinda a pain to play with. Other than that, the Zombie was OK. Good utility truck. Saved my dog from the pound....
No girdle on mine. I need to put in the mechanical 4wd engagement though. Tired of that heated servo thing.

I really feel for the folks who have to deal with rust.

this can actually happen to a truck anywhere in the world. The design had no provision to let water escape the pocket that the strap slides into. It fills up with water and there’s no weep hole to let it out, so it sits in there and rusty out the pocket and the strap pulls out. The bracket to fix the problem has an escape route for the water.

This thread is making me want to work on my "White Zombie Express" 1980 step-side.

I've let it go to hell in the pole barn the last few years.

Needs tires an a few hours getting it running again.

...and I'll just comment on the P-metric tire sizes...

The plus is they give an actual width, albeit in metric format.
That makes it easier to calculate sidewall height as well.
Plus, then you know that all say- 235 width tires are the same width (or are supposed to be).

Last edited:
You gonna start rd x ing me again?

What's your beef?

You gonna argue that a "235" tire is not 235 mm wide?

This thread is making me want to work on my "White Zombie Express" 1980 step-side.

I've let it go to hell in the pole barn the last few years.

Needs tires an a few hours getting it running again.
You should be shamed. What engine?

This barely fits as in it's about a minivan, which are "trucks" according to the parts listings.
but when differentiating between 2 possible parts for a given vehicle, why are all measurements in MM these days??? I had a grand caravan in yesterday, and supposedly there were 2 possible (different) rear brake rotors it could have come with. When I had the parts guy on the phone he asked me if the rotors were 232 mm. My question was " do they show an inch equivalent?" My tape measure shows inches not mm.
I ended up having to find an inch to mm conversion on the phone to be able to answer the question and (hopefully) wind up with the right ones.

-
Back