Let's talk... Ironhead Sportsters

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
A local car buddy of mine is also really into bikes; his dad was a real-deal biker "back in the day" and has a crazy built Shovelhead that pulls wheelies. My friend showed me that bike as well as his 1947 Knucklehead and needless to say I really want an old Harley now. He recommended I go with a Sportster because I'm 6' tall but only 150 lbs lol. Now I'm trying to find what info I can on the old Ironhead models as it seems the Evos are obviously much more popular nowadays. So what's up with people complaining about the maintenance? Tuning a carb, ignition timing, valve lash seems like easy stuff? I get the idea that most riders aren't necessarily mechanically inclined which leads me to believe if I could teach myself how to build car engines I can probably teach myself how to work on an old motorcycle.

Also regarding safety, yes it would be my first bike and YES I will be taking the rider safety course most definitely.

Any advice, stories, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

What most people cried about, over the old Shovelheads is they leaked oil, then it was the Morse-Fairbanks magnetos, commonly called Morse-Fairblanks as they had a tendency to misfire.........Electric or kick start? If kick, you will want to make sure the ratchet mechanism is in good shape, you put your whole body into kicking it, and if the pawl doesn't catch well the kick lever free swings and you knee won't feel the same for about a half an hour.............. don't ask why I know

They vibrate, it can get annoying, and nuts and bolts loosen up.........that is some of the maintenance complaints

Customized in 1976 by a Harley dealer after they took it in on trade. Still the same as it was in ‘76 last of the right hand shift. 4 speed transmission
6977CEBB-8D40-4B97-90A1-9A0F0FFEDC30.jpeg

What most people cried about, over the old Shovelheads is they leaked oil, then it was the Morse-Fairbanks magnetos, commonly called Morse-Fairblanks as they had a tendency to misfire.........Electric or kick start? If kick, you will want to make sure the ratchet mechanism is in good shape, you put your whole body into kicking it, and if the pawl doesn't catch well the kick lever free swings and you knee won't feel the same for about a half an hour.............. don't ask why I know

They vibrate, it can get annoying, and nuts and bolts loosen up.........that is some of the maintenance complaints

lol I actually just watched a YouTube video of a guy who figured out to use a block of wood just a tad shorter than the lever when it's at the bottom of its travel, totally saved his knee when it slipped because the heel of his shoe hit the block before the lever could keep going. A kick start bike would be cool but I'm leaning more towards the later Ironheads, didn't they stop offering kick start in the '70s?

I'm sure one of the first things I'd be doing once I got an old Sportster would be going around and Loc-Tite-ing all the fasteners, I've heard loosening bolts is a general issue on all older Harleys.

Get full protective gear. The asphalt is very unforgiving on your body when you dump your bike.

And you WILL dump your bike at some point.

Road rash is the worst experience you can ever have.

Get full protective gear. The asphalt is very unforgiving on your body when you dump your bike.

I thoroughly enjoyed my road rash!! If fact.......
I enjoyed it for about 3 weeks cuz it takes forever to heal!!:mad::BangHead:

Absolutely. I'm 27 but pretty pessimistic lol, "whatever can go wrong will go wrong." Not that I'm a Debbie Downer I just don't feel comfortable unless I'm prepared for the worst, to a reasonable degree. Even though my Duster never actually broke down I always drove with a bunch of tools in the trunk.

And yeah, just trying to imagine having my skin literally torn to shreds isn't fun. No way I'm gonna ride in a T-shirt and shorts, makes me cringe when I get passed on a 50 mph road in my Jeep by a guy on a bike like that.

I remember falling off my bicycle loads of times as a kid and that was maybe 10 mph? Imagining that happening at 70, or even 40, my body would be destroyed

You might want to make the Sporty your second or third bike. Cuz most guys go thru at least two on the learning curve. It ain't so much you learning to ride, as it is you learning to read all the idiot car drivers. The first thing they always always say, after they bash you is; "I never saw you". WTH? How the heck did you get a drivers license if your flipping blind......

You might want to make the Sporty your second or third bike. Cuz most guys go thru at least two on the learning curve. It ain't so much you learning to ride, as it is you learning to read all the idiot car drivers. The first thing they always always say, after they bash you is; "I never saw you". WTH? How the heck did you get a drivers license if your flipping blind......

Other cars are my biggest fear, I've got my eyes on everything when I'm behind the wheel. I live on the very edge of town next to open ranch and farm country so I'd be riding out that ways most of the time or up into the mountains, I'd try to avoid high-traffic times of day if I have to go through town. Probably get a bright reflective vest as well.

That would be all the more reason to get something in not the best shape too. Good but not perfect especially cosmetically.

Hairy experiences are a regular occurrence too.

One night, on my way home from work I came out of a blind turn and there’s a 10 point Buck standing in my lane! I downshifted, took it over into the next lane and got far away from him.

A few nights after that, a groundhog ran across the road, right under my bike (between the front tire and rear tire). My butthole puckered and swallowed the seat, the only thing going through my mind was “I’m going to eat pavement!” Because if my rear tire catches him, it’s all over. Just missed him by a couple inches, thankfully.

Hairy experiences are a regular occurrence too.

One night, on my way home from work I came out of a blind turn and there’s a 10 point Buck standing in my lane! I downshifted, took it over into the next lane and got far away from him.

A few nights after that, a groundhog ran across the road, right under my bike (between the front tire and rear tire). My butthole puckered and swallowed the seat, the only thing going through my mind was “I’m going to eat pavement!” Because if my rear tire catches him, it’s all over. Just missed him by a couple inches, thankfully.
Scary for sure! My wife’s cousin was killed on his bike after hitting a groundhog on a back road at 60 mph.

Bikes can be a lot of fun, but equally dangerous. A good healthy respect for the risks and preparations for the worst along with good gear are an absolute requirement.

Inertia is an unforgiving *****.

PLEASE buy a 4stroke 250 dirt bike the same day.

Only ride the dirt bike for 6 months before you fire up the HD.

You cannot imagine the ways you can hurt yourself and I would like to read how much you enjoy riding later in the spring!

A valuable internet site for Ironheads is xlforum.net/forums. Sportsters are just about all they do there.

When you do ride, be on the defensive at all times. Pretend nobody sees you.

Way back when I had a '79 Ironhead Sportster (brother's dual quad '57 300-C frame in the background) and now I've got an '04 rubbermount Roadster 1200. Xlforum has been a valuable resource for me, just like this site.
79_SportsterXLS_Poulsbo03.jpg

DSC03068.JPG

Last edited:
A local car buddy of mine is also really into bikes; his dad was a real-deal biker "back in the day" and has a crazy built Shovelhead that pulls wheelies. My friend showed me that bike as well as his 1947 Knucklehead and needless to say I really want an old Harley now. He recommended I go with a Sportster because I'm 6' tall but only 150 lbs lol. Now I'm trying to find what info I can on the old Ironhead models as it seems the Evos are obviously much more popular nowadays. So what's up with people complaining about the maintenance? Tuning a carb, ignition timing, valve lash seems like easy stuff? I get the idea that most riders aren't necessarily mechanically inclined which leads me to believe if I could teach myself how to build car engines I can probably teach myself how to work on an old motorcycle.

Also regarding safety, yes it would be my first bike and YES I will be taking the rider safety course most definitely.

Any advice, stories, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
I’m 5’9” @ 190lbs. Your 6’ frame would IMO be a bit happier on a larger bike. Having owned a ‘03 XL1200C Sportster, is we’re I get my opinion from.

The pro to the sporty is they are better handling turning radius and quick off the line next to the larger bikes. The Sportster topped out at 115. The bigger V twins will go higher, but take a little longer to get going.

The Sportsters draw back which I kind of stated is top end. 115 mph. Lower in torque and hp and a small gas tank. The shorter wheel base can be a little tougher ride.

The typical peanut tank is 3.3 gallons. With the typical bolt on parts, exhaust, better air cleaner, jetted up carb with a screaming eagle ignition, the power went up in a big manor and I didn’t loose any mileage. I averaged 50 mpg’s and the best recorded mileage was 60 in sub 60 mph traffic during rush hour. Slow non stop movement in the 45-60 mph range. I noticed a big mileage drop at 70 & 70+. Lowest I recorded was 40-ish mpg.

The latest big V twins are now getting similar mileage if you keep the throttle relaxed. This is due to the F.I. & overdrive transmissions they now come with.

I would push you to a new bike. The evolution engine is newer, better, more advanced over the older engines which are becoming more and more difficult to get parts quickly for. There more reliable. Less cranky and troublesome. With only filter changes and spark plugs to contend with, they should be largely trouble free.

I love to see the older bikes up and running but it seems to me that all I hear are owners bitchin about something & not riding.

If and when I do this again, it will be a big V twin bike with overdrive. Ether a street glide or Dyna Wideglide. Which they stopped making the wideglide and dyna series.
I still love a carb over the FI. Which has the normal fly by wire split second hesitation.

The ole Iron Head, the best sounding Harley ever made. The ominous potato...potato...potato belching forcibly from the chrome shorty's accompany with a small wisps of blue smoke. Get the points set right and the carb dialed in, and they run and sound great. The XL models 1957-85 had the overhead valves, cast iron heads, there were some “hot” models thrown in with the mix.

Have mine for about dozen years or more, doesn't get out as much since I upgraded to a larger newer bike. So I will enlighten you with a few tidbits I have encounter over the years with the sporty.

My gas tank only holds about two gallons of gas, which makes the journey about 60-70 miles on a good clear windless days. Riding with a group of people makes you the most unpopular one in the posse, repeat gas station refills. Sustained highway speeds are not enjoyable feet and fingers start to feel numb, 60 mph is tops, the extra gear much needed. The engine wins over the brakes, the rear brakes shoes are always oil soak, front brakes drums (if you have them) are twitchy, they like to really catch hold and then they just let go, and catch again with much greater force.....front disc much improvement. Always with points you have to carry a set and spark plugs and tools, to change out. I have the “buck-horn” type handle bars which only encourages the feel of the bike in a disastrous way. You sit on top of the bike, the small front tire and steering rake makes the bike way over sensitive, you have to be on top of your game to make last minute life saving decisions. Being in the tall bracket the foot pegs are right under my hips making you sit in a hunch over position. Forward controls are a must if you going to live with the bike. Kickers are manly, but a few beers later not so much...get the electric cunt button, better yet get a kicker with the electric start.....have both. Just to let you know the newer the bike is the better the refinements are, engine, brakes, and steering.

My thoughts, the (old) iron head would not make a good first bike, as others have stated. Start with a dual purpose bike, and learn your limits, practice your skids. Better to show up at the DMV with a cute little bike and then a rip snorting sporty. Good luck with your bike, safe journeys......

IMG_3378.JPG

Worked on a few back in the day when I worked on HD's for a living. Even restored a '79 Sportster.

My advice? STAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY AWAYYYYYYYYYYY

Buy a new sporty, '04 and newer if you want a Sportster. You'll spend more time fixing the Ironhead than riding it, and they're not easy to fix. They're simple, but the fixes usually involve completely overhauling whatever it is you're digging into.

And then whatever it was is still a POS.

Not worth it.

People talk about buying a dirtbike or a small displacement bike to start, and how you are going to get hurt, blah blah blah....don't let it get to you.

When I was 16, I learned how to ride on a 1976 Harley Electra-Glide, which belonged to my dad. My dad and I built a 1973 Triumph 750 Bonneville street tracker for my first bike. I still own the Triumph, and I own the Electra-Glide, along with a 2012 Harley Road King that I bought new.

I've been riding on the street since 1995, and never had an accident. That's not to say there haven't been incidents in that time, but if you ride carefully and pay attention, you'll be okay. Buy whatever kind of bike you want and enjoy it. That said, an Ironhead Sporty is going to keep you busy with maintenance and work.

I’ve been riding bikes for 30 years, but I’ve only ridden one iron head sportster and couldn’t wait to get off of it. I would not recommend that bike for your first bike if you really want to ride. If you want to learn how to work on bikes then it might be the one.
For a first bike I recommend the Klr 650. You can find a used one cheap, large aftermarket, and very versatile bike. Wear a helmet and boots and pretend you are invisible. If you can sit down and eat it in one meal go ahead and run over it, if not take evasive action.

I got off a lot.
Bucked off, pushed off, and sometimes just fell off,lol.
I got better at getting off.
The bikes not so much, always lots of damage.
When the kids came along, I had to give it up, 3 more mouths to feed needed a full-time Daddy. I took it up again 10 years later,as bikes were still a cheap commuter , but that was short lived. By that time I was in my 40s and the thrill was gone.A few years later I sold everything.

Tell ya what,
I loved the 64 XLCH I rode for a while. but..... I was uncomfortable. I was not a fan of the buckhorn bars and might have liked the ride better with more of a straight bar. Hi way driving was rough and I was replacing parts after almost every ride! During the divorce I did not have the ability to hang on to a "show" piece that I wouldn't ride and the Barracuda needed my attention. Another " wish I wouldn't have sold it" moment.
Me I would buy a bigger bike next and newer. save my retro for the 4 wheel type.

DSCN0230.JPG

View attachment 1715256323

DSCN0229.JPG

ok, my first bike was an '84 xl 1000cc ironhead sportster. still have it but bought an '02 1200 simply because i was tired of fixing it. parts will vibrate off and it really needs a fifth gear. that said ,it's a nice bike and fun to ride. po did a lot of mods to it. did i mention the drag pipes? it's loud but that saves lives, right?

Thanks for the responses guys... so i'm trying to make comparisons in my head to cars, I know it's not very accurate but it sounds like old Harleys aren't the kind of beefy over-engineered vehicles like our old Mopars? I was hoping it would be possible to "bulletproof" an Ironhead; I know once I replaced the original worn-out drivetrain in my Duster it was reliable enough to drive anywhere and most any work I did on the car was tuning or upgrades. Sounds like an old Sportster won't work like that?

Big twins don't really interest me, even the new Sportsters are frickin heavy and FAT! Really didn't like the way I had to muscle those bikes just to get them upright off the kickstand. I'm not sure how much long- distance riding i'll be doing either, i'll have to think about that some more.

If I did get one i'm leaning towards something incomplete that I could modify into more of a "tracker" style bike I could take off-road a bit.

Also some background about me, I taught myself how to build engines and work on my Duster from square one. No dad or uncle to show me the ropes just pure passion for old vehicles. I'm not afraid to learn a whole new machine and rebuild it into something unique, I just figured a motorcycle is smaller and less complex than a car and can give similar thrills for a lot less money (but it's much less safe, yes I know).

-
Back