LGB trains for around Christmas tree

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I am looking into a set of LGB G scale trains for around the Christmas tree. I have some clankety cheapie Lionels right now that i would prefer to replace with something quieter. I dont know much about them except that what i see looks to be prewar German prototype, and the sets i have found that they are trying to do as "American" prototype tend to look like their German 040 switcher with american detail touches like a cow catcher, smokestack, and pulling european styled passenger cars. These sets tend to be the more inexpensive sets. And its only for around the tree. Will be run maybe 2-3 weeks out of the year and put away. They still kinda look wonky that way with the German loco and cars dolled up to appear like american looking stuff. I know the kids wont know the difference, but i will. Anybody know more about these. How well built they might be? Maybe any other information i might have missed. I think the G scale equates to 1/32 scale or thereabouts. First pic below is their German prototype, pic number 2 is their "American" prototype.

Screenshot_20171108-195212.png

Screenshot_20171108-195231.png

Yeah they are a log of fun. I got my Circus set when i was about 10, now my kids play with it too. and misc tanker, car transport, etc...
Dad has this with a caboose. They are VERY well built afaik and rather collectable. solid brass rails last forever, though you will want a set of scrubber pads mounted to the bottom of a wieghted freight to clean them up while you play.

Dad has this with a caboose bought new in 1985 still out every year. My train is only a couple years newer.
http://www.gscaletraincenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/lgb-train-sets-231802220096912120.jpg

LGB stuff is top notch as far as running gear. It doesn't get better. I agree though, some of their stuff has a "toy like" look. Also, they do have a toy train line, but even that shares the same running gear as their top of the line.

Thanks for the advice. I may decide to piece something together using one of their quazi american looking locomotives and some more american looking rolling stock. Maybe a flatcar or gondola i can put small wrapped presents on/in and a caboose. May end up being a little more expensive this way than just buying an RTR set but in the end i might just be happier with how it all looks.

Digging around online, found this. LGB starter steam train passenger set, and freight set. Closer looking to what i want. Apparently walmart will sell it with free shipping, and no tax. If i apply for a walmart credit card they will take $35 off too. I got a classic industries card sitting just waiting for the next sale they run to get all my seat upholstery. If i pull the trigger on one of these it will prob be the passenger train set. It seems easier and cheaper to buy freight cars as seperate items online in case i want to "switch it up"

Screenshot_20171111-075516.png

Screenshot_20171111-075607.png

Another option i am concidering is piecing a G scale set together out of used stuff. I have a nice autopulse tracker trollier transformer power supply. I used this for HO stuff i had years ago when i was a teenager, and more recently on the clankety lionels i have been using the past few years. I have found out its adequate for the power requirements of LGB g scale.

I have scale O gage 2 rail, all built up from kits from weaver models, atlas, etc, including a nice AHM 080 steam engine kit that was an awesome build, however with small kids in the house theres just too many delicate pieces on these to get broken so they are stored away.

I figure the G gage is a bit more robust, and bigger making it easier to handle for little hands.

LGB trains is top notch, my dad has been collecting them since 1982. If you can find them they have a very nice Christmas train set (difficult to find). The track is great, if it gets dirty you can clean it with a piece of drywall sanding paper, (no need for the expensive track cleaners).
If you have the time, check you local papers and see if there is a Toy train show in your area, generally you can pick up very nice sets at very decent prices.

Tightest circle is 52" outside diameter. Its going to be too big with our livingroom, tree and all. I decided to nix doing this, and maybe tune up the old lionels for the next few years.

Thanks for the advice. I may decide to piece something together using one of their quazi american looking locomotives and some more american looking rolling stock. Maybe a flatcar or gondola i can put small wrapped presents on/in and a caboose. May end up being a little more expensive this way than just buying an RTR set but in the end i might just be happier with how it all looks.

They do make some very American locomotives such as this. I have one of these, myself.

#50.jpg

Its all just cheap ****. All plastic. Knuckle couplers that only one end operates. The other end is a dummy. Plastic loco shell. Roller drum chugger with plastic beads in the tender. Kids enjoy it. I may buy some 036 lionel fastrack with the moulded in ties and painted ballast to upgrade it a bit, or just clean it up and put it out there with the tin rail. Nice switcher Rusty. I love the big scale stuff.

Last edited:
-
Back