license plate restoration

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
i need a set of 1968 CA black license plates restored. If you google license plate restoration, there's many places that come up and seem to do great work. Have any of you used anyone specific? The average cost is from 150-200 for a set of plates to be restored...

Why not do it yourself? Paint stripper, straighten any bends, spray the base color then paint the raised letters/numbers with a good artist's brush. Take your time, set it aside when you get tired and come back to it till you're done. If you decide you really can't do it, then send it out. I googled 'diy license plate restoration' and got some good tips.

Why not do it yourself? Paint stripper, straighten any bends, spray the base color then paint the raised letters/numbers with a good artist's brush. Take your time, set it aside when you get tired and come back to it till you're done. If you decide you really can't do it, then send it out. I googled 'diy license plate restoration' and got some good tips.
That what im going to do as soon as i get a 65 plate :cheers:

I was able to pick up a 1969 (for the Barracuda) and a 1971 ( for the Dart) at a small car show here in town on Saturday, $5.00 for the pair. I plan on getting them blasted, then painting them myself... but I was thinking more along the lines of masking the numbers and shooting them instead of using a brush.

I wonder how the guys at the penitentiary do it? Hmmmm.... maybe I'll do some investigating.

If there is any damage to the plates, straighten them out and then send to CudaChick and have the black done in powder coat. Then you can finish the off color.

You save your old ones and get new ones. Same cost or cheaper than restoring your old ones. The guy that does them will only ship them to a different state than you live. They are for "display purposes only". But everyone run them.

I forgot the company Troy used to get these. I can find out.

Attachments

• Troy9_11_11Dart12.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 775
I vote do it your self pride will take over. Besides you will need the money for that ticket. oops did I hit a sore spot.... just pokin a little humor.

I vote do it your self pride will take over. Besides you will need the money for that ticket. oops did I hit a sore spot.... just pokin a little humor.

haha yea!! no ****! LOL ill do 'em myself and tape em off like that guy in the link butterball posted. :)

i got lucky i found a new never used 1972 1a my county plate for the duster

Clean it up, shoot it black, hand brush with yellow.
The same way my 48 tag was done on my Willys.
It will cost you less than 25 bucks, super simple.
I can provide a clear pic if you need one.

If there is any damage to the plates, straighten them out and then send to CudaChick and have the black done in powder coat. Then you can finish the off color.

Thanks for the props! (Psssssssst, I could fix the damage and finish the off color too. Custom stuff is my specialty. :-D)

In good ol NY you are allowed no touch up or repaint of old plates at all.

Same thing in California. I dont think its enforced. Also California plates from the 60's are reflective and require a special paint.

Old to new vintage license plate restoration
Daniel Wosepka
714-421-1428

He says he will do any state, any color, any set.
He is in Huntington Beach, Ca.

Same thing in California. I dont think its enforced. Also California plates from the 60's are reflective and require a special paint.

Old to new vintage license plate restoration
Daniel Wosepka
714-421-1428

He says he will do any state, any color, any set.
He is in Huntington Beach, Ca.

im not sure if what you are saying is correct...The CA black plates I have are not reflective in any way....looks like regular black and yellow paint to me...

There's more to this than meets the eyes ...

The black with yellow plates ran from 01/01/1963 - 31/12/1969 .
Their passenger car sequence was 3 letters followed by three numbers
( 383 WON , for instance ).

Then , the 1st letter = the year that the plate was issued ( the "W" in the above example means it's a late '67 / early '68 calendar year issue , and would be correct for a late '67 and earlier passenger car ) .

The "black" has a reddish tone to it , a metallic tone ; the "yellow" is School Bus Yellow . Finish is a semi-flat finish .

The blue with yellow plates surfaced late in the 1969 calendar year , with personalised plates becoming available in January 1970 .
A black / yellow personalised plate will get you a ticket IF the cop feels like using this gaffe as P.C.

The best rattle can blue I've found for the "blue" is Krylon Blue ; again , the "yellow" is a School Bus Yellow .

7-character plates didn't arrive until c.1980 (excepting the personalised plates ) ; and commercial plates contain only 1 letter .

I applaud you for fixing / repairing original plates for your car !
Nothing takes away from the looks of an otherwise nice vintage car than those ugly *** white , 7-character Ca plates :mumum: .

You save your old ones and get new ones. Same cost or cheaper than restoring your old ones. The guy that does them will only ship them to a different state than you live. They are for "display purposes only". But everyone run them.

I forgot the company Troy used to get these. I can find out.

Most of the restored plates I have seen the colors don't look right. That new "display" plate looks outstanding in color match. Although the spacing seems off. I would be interested in doing some of those display plates for the garage. Front and back of course.

new never used from 1972
and i can run this on the car my 72 duster

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 496
-
Back