Lift 440 fully dressed +trans with this?

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
So, I want to use this to re-install rather than miscellaneous chains hooked on 4 points because that setup generally pissed me off during the pulling process.

Amazon.com: Mr. Gasket 33027G Engine Lift Plate: Automotive

according to the reviews, one person lifted a 400 Pontiac / 4 speed setup attached to an RPM intake. that seems similar to my weight. Pontiacs have heads made out of large boat anchors.

440 w 727, ac, ps, headers. Will be bolted to a performer intake. I will bolt to all 8 carb bolt holes on the intake if that helps. Not sure if structurally it would matter to the intake.

Any experience with pulling a whole setup with one of these intake mounted plates?

mrgasketengineliftplate-jpg.1714735271.jpg

View attachment MrGasketEngineLiftPlate.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thousands of people use those, the thought of all that weight being held up by 4 little tiny 7/16ths bolts threaded into old cast iron or alum. threads just creeps me out LOL, so personally I wouldnt use one but all those other people trump my one personal opinion.
I use a chain unless the trans is comming out too then I have the fancy leveler thingy.

Well, the performer has 8 bolt holes in the carb mount. I could run 8 grade 8s thru the plate. My primary concern is the manifold giving out in the carb mount area.

Well, the performer has 8 bolt holes in the carb mount. I could run 8 grade 8s thru the plate. My primary concern is the manifold giving out in the carb mount area.

It'll be heavey as hell on the trans end with that.
I also don't think I'd trust the intake to do it, as I would be more concerned about the intake to head aluminum before the riser or bolt holes.

I don't think I could bring myself to use the plate only.

I dropped a '55 270 polysphere attached to a 3 speed manual using one of those plates at a salvage yard. Now, part of it was a bit of a "bounce" out of the chain hoist at the yard, but that little extra shock sheared all 4 intake studs. No damage to the cast iron intake. Now granted a '55 270 poly is almost as heavy as a 270 Hemi, but it's probably pretty close to the same weight as a fully dressed 440 and 727. And of course I was using the intake studs that had been in the car forever, not a new set of bolts. Still, I would be careful.

What are you installing the 440 in? I assume it's not a car, because you don't have much control of the angle on the engine/transmission with that plate. I used one to drop the 340 into my Duster, but that had to be done without the transmission because of the spool mount K and Milodon road race pan on my 340. They're pretty much only good to lower a level engine straight up and down.

It was crammed in there by the Brits in 74. I have to put it back. We have been restoring and doing some upgrades to the engine bay and doing some engine work.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGZB4srgR4k"]JensenRev - YouTube[/ame]

had the engine on a test stand.

In an Jenson Interceptor?!!! :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :thumbup:

But yeah, you're going to need a load leveler for that. And a really big shoehorn. And a lot of patience.

SUM-G1021_ml.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1021

I grew up working on Austin-Healey's in my old man's resto shop. Beautiful cars, but the Brits sure did have some different ideas about, um, "engineering". ;)

I've done LA V-8s with the plate and without the trans. I used studs and nuts to secure the plate to the intake (one was a Performer). I made sure the studs were completely seated in the manifold and the nuts snug against the plate. No problems with any of the lifts.

The load leveler makes it easier to adjust the angle of the dangle in the middle of the lift than it is with a plate.

IDK how Jensen originally installed the engine. If it's like the A-body, it may be a cleaner install to drop the K-member and install from the bottom.

Home built three of these out of 1/4 plate. Can't count the number of engines they've pulled and installed.

If your putting a 440 in a a-body you will need a load leveler for sure. The plate wont let you angle the transmission safely.

Yea... ahhh.. Going to have to build a setup that hooks to 4 corner intake bolts I reckon. :)

IMO, The intake bolt hole threads are barely enough to torque the intake. Don't need to be pulling the threads out of those. I try to use the bottom holes on the heads alternator boss.

Yea the thing is, the engine is fully dressed. I am not pulling parts back off other than the carb. I'm going to make a bracket that attaches to 4 intake bolts, one on each corner.

Well, I have gone for a walk around the local metal / scrap yard for an hour and decided that for 50 bucks and 2 or 3 hours of welding and fabricating, I could have a bracket that mounted to the engine. While walking around the scrapyard I decided to look at this on the phone:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-Ton-Capacity-Heavy-Duty-Load-Leveler-60659.html

So, I can level a honda according to this, so I will trust it to 1000 pounds and attach to my engine. I hope I can get one tomorrow morning cause this 440 needs to be holding down the nose of the Jensen by tomorrow night.

We did the 383/727 in my son's Dart with a load leveler. Really had to angle the engine/trans to get it into the car. I've seen lots of people install engines with those plates, but I can't get beyond the fact your holding up a very heavy (and probably expensive) engine with 4 studs going into an aluminum manifold with 5/16 threads. Cast Aluminum isn't the toughest material and a used manifold is bound to have a damaged thread or two. Imagine the studs pulling out and dropping your expensive engine and crushing the radiator support......... I just sleep better using bolts into the ends of the heads.....

Attachments

• DSCN2231s.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 365
I did mine ( 360 - 4 Speed ) with one.....
Had my doughts but it was good in the long run

Attachments

• IMAG0115.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 333

We have done a 440, 360LA and a stroked 360 Magnum each with 727 transmission with a home made lifting plate that bolts on the carb pad.

-
Back