Lift Off Hood

-

Garys72Duster

Reaction score
20201012_175149.jpg
72 Dart Swinger, wanted to make it into a lift off hood. I'm always workin on the 318, so removing the hood makes access so much easier. I removed the hinges (no small task), then I cut around the perimeter of the metal bracing. Removing this metal made the hood lighter. So now I'm ready to finish sanding, and paint the underneath of the hood. Removing the 48 year old glue between the hood and bracing is no easy chore, either. Here's a pic of the underneath portion. The Hood Scoop was on there when I bought the car.

Last edited:
That thing still has to weigh a lot to lift.

What does that weigh, do you know?

My cortina steel hood with all the bracing removed, and a scoop, is quite a bit lighter than my real A12 liftoff hood. I think the bracing weighs more than the hood itself. I am interested in what yours ends up weighing.
(Granted, my cortina hood is WAY smaller than your duster.)

Last edited:
That thing still has to weigh a lot to lift.

What does that weigh, do you know?
Checking it with a B Room scale, comes to 42.5 lbs. I was guessing 44. If a F Glass hood for an A Body weighs 15 lbs (guessing), that makes this one about 27.5 lbs heavier than a F Glass hood. Not bad, for no more than a little work and effort. 2 more hood pins will cost 12.50, (I had 2). Plus I won't be hitting my head on the safety latch anymore! LOL. Or hurting my back, trying to lift the old one off the hinges. And the motor accessability is so much better with no hood on there, not to mention the Hot Rod look it adds to the car. I'll post more pics as it comes along. Next step, black semi gloss enamel for the underside. Another $4.
By the way, 67 Dart hood on C List Denver, for $100. Good condition.

Race weight fiberglass and street weight are quite different. A real A12 liftoff is about 32 lbs, so are the repops. The race weight is about 20.

Race weight fiberglass and street weight are quite different. A real A12 liftoff is about 32 lbs, so are the repops. The race weight is about 20.
So I'm only 10 lbs heavier than a production F Glass hood?

I have 2 cars with lift off 'glass hoods. I did it because I wanted the lightest set up possible. Mine are very light.

You'll find out how heavy your 40 lb. hood is really quick when you're working on it and need to get under there a lot. I'll bet you'll leave it off for a while after the third or fourth time.

Make sure you remove it and look under when you think there's something wrong, probably no big issue, but if something's wrong, and you don't look... Who knows?

Be careful on a windy day. Don't scratch the paint when you find a place to put it.

Keep the hinges. Take the springs off. Take the catch off and use two pins on the front.

My back hurts just thnking about that awkward position you need to be in when you lift that 40 lbs.!

I'm not negative, just practical.

What scoop do you have on your hood? Does it have a front opening you can get your hand in? I find the easiest way to get my hood off, is to put my hand in the scoop, palm up, and just pluck it off. Easier than trying to grab by the edges.

What scoop do you have on your hood? Does it have a front opening you can get your hand in? I find the easiest way to get my hood off, is to put my hand in the scoop, palm up, and just pluck it off. Easier than trying to grab by the edges.
I'm not fit enough to do it alone, my son helps me with it. I got the 2 front hold downs done today. Will post a pic of the hood and scoop when the rear pins are completed.

-
Back