Lift off to hinged

-

wirenut

Reaction score
hi folks
Has anybody tried grafting something to a lift off hood or deck lid to allow factory hinges to bolt up? Got a duster race car with lift off stuff and find it to be a real hassle.

I went to my old friend Mr. Google, and he came up with over 3 million hits on this subject. So somebody was trying to do it. One reference came right back to this forum.

AAR Fiberglass hood hinges

Most lift off hoods and deck lids are race weight. As such I don't think any feasible about of added material would be enough to support the hinged weight. Why not buy a bolt on hood?

Most lift off hoods and deck lids are race weight. As such I don't think any feasible about of added material would be enough to support the hinged weight. Why not buy a bolt on hood?

I recently thot about this same thing, I use a lift off hood because of an ex broken neck. I don't have the stock hood hinges, or hinge pins for that matter. I saw aftermarket billet hinges that look like they could be adapted to diff. cars, but were in the 6-$700 price range !
Lift of hoods are a pain in the a$4 when in the garage and off !

Years ago I had a lightweight pin on hood that I wanted to attach to the hinges. I fiberglassed a thin piece of wood on each side to line up with the stock hinges, drilled the holes and bolted it on. I had to pop off the springs and use a prop rod but it worked fine.

From dealing with both pin on and hinged in my lifetime, I can tell you lift off is a major pain in the Butt. My 69 Dart has a bolt of AAR 6 pack hood and my 68 Barracuda has a Body Source bolt on Hemi hood. Sooo much better!

-
Back