Lifter opinions

-

Jonnylightening

Reaction score
This past weekend i took my Aspen out for a drive. I did a holeshot and when i went from 2nd to 3rd it started missing. Left outta it then realized I had no oil pressure. I jerked it off the road ASAP. I was thinking the worst at first then the miss came back to mind. Maybe a lifter colapsed and jumped out of the bore? Tonight I pulled the valve covers and YEP! Thats it. I swapped EQ heads so im running Summit brand AMC style Hyd. Lifters. Now im not knocking Summit but im kinda hesitant on buying those lifters again. So question is what lifters would you guys recommend? For now im im na stick with the hyd. Lifters but next engine its itsna be mech. Roller

Crower has some cam saver lifters that add more oil to cam. I know this is not the issue but those might be a better choice. Not many choices left any more. Also Roads lifters are known to be good. Again these are for getting more duration cams to gain back low end so that may be a plus.

Check out this video. This guy rebuilds lots of engines and talks about lifters and he says Comp Cams and Howard’s Cams still make quality products.

Did it bend the pushrod? Did you roll the pushrod on a flat surface to see if it’s bent?
Were the EQ heads on that engine long? Were the heads purchased assembled?

What failed in the valve train that allowed the lifter to come out of the bore? It’s not usually a problem with the lifter. Make sure the wire clip is still in it that holds the puck in the top. Sometimes they break or the push rod knocks it out.

Two major lifter mfg and offshore
Crower and Isky offer the best ones
so do others but you have to be careful
Rhoades also has the cam saver mod
Howards shows cam savers for chevy bug them about mopar
check with Dart19666 for dealer pricing from Crower if that helps

Did it bend the pushrod? Did you roll the pushrod on a flat surface to see if it’s bent?
Were the EQ heads on that engine long? Were the heads purchased assembled?
I still have to check the pushrods. The heads were checked by a machine shop and they have been on for 2 years.

What failed in the valve train that allowed the lifter to come out of the bore? It’s not usually a problem with the lifter. Make sure the wire clip is still in it that holds the puck in the top. Sometimes they break or the push rod knocks it out.
The lifter colapsed causing the rocker to go loose.

Get lifters with the heavy duty flat snap ring plunger retainer instead of the sissy wire clip. Also make sure the pushrods are not too short.

Can anyone post me a link for the Howards lifters? Mine are the flat tap hydraulic oil through. Also whats the quality like on Hughes? They have performance lifters with the C clip.

Another question? If my cam is still in good shape should i just keep it in there or should i get a new one? I have mixed feelings about new lifters on old cam

What oil through pushrods are you using and how did you determine proper length? Adjustable checking pushrod?

edit. Assuming LA 360.

What oil through pushrods are you using and how did you determine proper length? Adjustable checking pushrod?
They are comp cams moly pushrods. Yes i used an adjustable checker. The engine has been broke in and ran for over 1000 miles. I romped on it every now and again along with several burnouts. I cheaped out on lifters with the Summit brand so....you get what you pay for.

if they have snap ring and made in usa or usa mfg good
wire clip not so good
you can buy direct from hylift johnson
idk if howards sells the lube saver lifters- they just show chevy
Crower and others do PM Dart19666 for the long deal
I did then DIY

Right now im using the Summit 1789 cam. I was kind of thinking about going with the Hughes whiplash? My heads are already equipt with the Hughes 1110 springs. I was shooting towards the howards lifters. Any opinions?

IMHO there isn't a decent hydraulic lifter on the market. They ALL suck buttermilk.

It's so simple and quick to lash valves, and if you buy a decent cam you shouldn't need to lash the valves more than once a year, if that, why bother with those nasty, squishy, leaking turds?

whip lash bondage? designed to put a big lobe in a low compression motor but vacuum sucks and not for stock manifolds
usually not the right answer

-
Back