Lifter options

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I’m working on the finally assembly of my 440. Cam is a early 2020 version of the XE285HL.

That said, I’ve been seeing a BUNCH of lifter failures of comps stuff made 2020 to present. Lots of them. Some by very reputable shops even.

So I’m wondering if I would be better served to swap the lifters to something better?

Can one run roller rockers on a hydraulic flat tappet? Really don’t want to swap out to a full roller from a budget stand point. But also don’t want to eat a lifter and send metal through out the fresh engine.

I recently used a new set of Lunatti hydraulic lifters with no issues. Yes, roller rockers can be used with hydraulic flat tappet lifters. 65'

I ordered a Comp kit from Summit a couple of years ago for my son's 440. Mopar part # on the box, but the lifters were sloppy. Measured the diameter...Ford lifters. Summit exchanged the box with another set of Comps. Same thing...Ford lifters. Then they swapped the Comp box for a Crane box. Still haven't fired the motor up so we don't know, but you have no idea what will be int he box...

I pulled my Comp. Hyd. lifters on my RB 500 and put Elgin lifters (Go fiqure) I also added stronger c clips to them. That was 6 years ago.

I pulled my Comp. Hyd. lifters on my RB 500 and put Elgin lifters (Go fiqure) I also added stronger c clips to them. That was 6 years ago.
Thanks! I’ll go find a set!

If you do NOT want lifter failure, find some 25+ yr old lifters & have them re-faced.

You are hearing about Comp failures because of the simple reason that they outsell all the other cam companies. Same crap-anium material.

Always heard you want a matched set of lifters made or recommended by the cam company you are using.

Like now Jegs has the mopar performance 340 cam with lifters kit back in stock now for around 325.00.

For the big blocks cam with matched lifters 429.00
Think this is the Roadrunner cam.

Screenshot_20221004-050541_Firefox.jpg

If you do NOT want lifter failure, find some 25+ yr old lifters & have them re-faced.

You are hearing about Comp failures because of the simple reason that they outsell all the other cam companies. Same crap-anium material.
I’m not even sure who does that these days.

I’m not even sure who does that these days.

Schneider Cams has a guy that does it for them. He does very nice work. I know they don’t do it in house because I had several questions and the guy at Schneider didn’t have a clue. So they gave me his number.

I have an older Comp Cams 1.5 ratio roller rocker on my XE285HL in my 340. No issues on break in.

My Summit cam just had a lifter issue. It is not the lifter bore as the engine block used was checked and tested by myself for an easy spinning lifter in the bore before assembly. This is the blocks 3rd cam. The 4th has broken in well. It is a Comp Thumper cam. 231@050, in a 10.5-1 - 360, Edelbrock head and chink knock off intake w/headers.

Thinking I’ll just get me a set of Mopar big block solid lifters and send it. At this point, May as wel.

Thinking I’ll just get me a set of Mopar big block solid lifters and send it. At this point, May as wel.
I picked up a solid cam and lifter set because I don't like the sound the hydraulics
make with the HL cam I'm currently using. Hoping to switch over soon.

So I’m working on the finally assembly of my 440. Cam is a early 2020 version of the XE285HL.

That said, I’ve been seeing a BUNCH of lifter failures of comps stuff made 2020 to present. Lots of them. Some by very reputable shops even.

So I’m wondering if I would be better served to swap the lifters to something better?

Can one run roller rockers on a hydraulic flat tappet? Really don’t want to swap out to a full roller from a budget stand point. But also don’t want to eat a lifter and send metal through out the fresh engine.
Find a used set of original Mopar hydraulic lifters and have them reground, disassemble and clean thoroughly before use.

No recommendations, but I haven't heard of a solid lifter failing, but I'm sure with 50,000 members there's going to be somebody here that has plenty of times but I haven't....
Is there any thing to keep in mind if I put solid lifters on a hydraulic flat tappet cam or does the cam even care?

Is there any thing to keep in mind if I put solid lifters on a hydraulic flat tappet cam or does the cam even care?
Well that's something I've never tried and I'm not sure what the difference would be. I've always just got a solid lifter cam or when I had my cam reground I let them know I was going to use solid lifters..

Well that's something I've never tried and I'm not sure what the difference would be. I've always just got a solid lifter cam or when I had my cam reground I let them know I was going to use solid lifters..
I would probably call Ken at Oregon cam and ask him..

I would probably call Ken at Oregon cam and ask him..
Was just thinking the same exact thing. I’ll do that. Thanks

Should have just gone solid roller cam to begin with but oh well

Using solids on a hyd lobe, just keep the lash tight; have done it many times. Comp Cams has at least one series of lobes that can be used with hyd or sol lifters. They also have roller cams that are hybrid.

Set the lash 0.004-6", hot.

Was just thinking the same exact thing. I’ll do that. Thanks

Should have just gone solid roller cam to begin with but oh well
Well I like the idea of rollers I tend to stay away from that number one budget number two I had a friend with with a 440 and a cuda that lost one of the roller tips. It just seems like solid flat tappets seem to produce the less problems in the long run..

Doing a 360 for a Friend and got a Crower Baja Beast cam, very mild torque app for his 75 Power Wagon 4spd. No lifters came with it. Got a set from Ricks Mopars on E-Bay. He states they are made by an original Mopar supplier. I guess we shall see how it works out. I have a set of lifters rat holed from a MP 509 big block NIB that I will use some day. Got the 509 in a package deal when I was building the 470 in My Duster, went solid instead.

I was looking into it more, I’ll give Ken at Oregon a call today. I will also give Rhodes lifters a shout out too

-
Back