Lifter question

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
I know its a bad idea to use used lifters on a new cam or a used cam its not matched too. Is there any way of telling if the lifters are "mated"? I got this engine that I know nothing about when I tore it down it looks to me that been ran very little if any at all. There is still break in goop on the lifters and cam lobes as well as the intermediate gear. I don't see any wear or pattern on the lifters. This is a budget build id love to not have to buy lifters what do you guys think run em or replace them? I'm gonna degree the cam that's in it and see what it is but I plan on replacing it with a mp 508 cam.

20211004_185735.jpg

20211004_185741.jpg

20211004_185745.jpg

20211004_185756.jpg

20211004_190040.jpg

20211004_190045.jpg

20211004_190048.jpg

20211004_190050.jpg

New cam, new lifters. If you disassemble after running it, make sure lifters go back into the same hole they came out of and you will more than likely be ok. Use assembly/ break in lube upon reassembly and breakin oil. Use breakin procedure for a rebuilt engine.

I just used new lifters on an old cam just fine. I am no expert though, but do not move locations if reusing lifters, or that will be bad results that wipe out lifters or lobes etc.

Definitely if you run a new cam buy new lifters…

My feeling is if you are not changing cams and marked the lifter locations and none look bad, reuse. If you lost the location of any lifter, you are already screwed, sorry.

Im swapping in a used cam. And I was hoping to use these lifters with it. I don't think the engine was ran if it was not for long from the looks of it. I know there is alot of unknown in play they could have been used before they were put in this engine for all I know.

One thing that Hughes Engines recommends is to rotate cam with a speed handle on cam center bolt. See if all the lifters rotate, if they all do probably good to go. One of those lifters looks like it has vertical scuff marks.

One thing that Hughes Engines recommends is to rotate cam with a speed handle on cam center bolt. See if all the lifters rotate, if they all do probably good to go. One of those lifters looks like it has vertical scuff marks.
That's a good trick ill try that out thanks

They've been run before, but not much. The vertical scuff marks mentioned is a dead giveaway. I would make sure they rotate on the cam you're going to use them on and if they do, bust it off and break it in like new. It'll be fine.

They've been run before, but not much. The vertical scuff marks mentioned is a dead giveaway. I would make sure they rotate on the cam you're going to use them on and if they do, bust it off and break it in like new. It'll be fine.
Good deal thanks

I know its a bad idea to use used lifters on a new cam or a used cam its not matched too. Is there any way of telling if the lifters are "mated"? I got this engine that I know nothing about when I tore it down it looks to me that been ran very little if any at all. There is still break in goop on the lifters and cam lobes as well as the intermediate gear. I don't see any wear or pattern on the lifters. This is a budget build id love to not have to buy lifters what do you guys think run em or replace them? I'm gonna degree the cam that's in it and see what it is but I plan on replacing it with a mp 508 cam.

View attachment 1715801201

View attachment 1715801202

View attachment 1715801203

View attachment 1715801204

View attachment 1715801205

View attachment 1715801206

View attachment 1715801207

View attachment 1715801208
Those lifters are well used look at the scuff pattern on the outside of the lifter from the lifter bore, which is normal as long as they were rotating.
If you plan on using them on a different cam have them resurfaced.

Last edited:
Kinda looks like a used cam to me.

When you get it out clean it up good, take more pics.
Looks like the lifters have the circle of rotation on them. Maybe just from spring and rotating it over..idk.. but looks used. Better pics might help.

-
Back