Lifters

-

oley340

Reaction score
Good morning I have a stroked 340 with a comp cam hydraulic roller and i hurt the lifters (7000 RPM shift) I cant find any replacements thru usual wholesalers Jeggs, summit comp cams ETC. can I install solid roller lifters on a hydraulic cam shaft? Thank you

There's a thread on this subject, somewhere on here. You can also check out Enginemasters, as they had a recent show about this subject. Paul.

Good morning I have a stroked 340 with a comp cam hydraulic roller and i hurt the lifters (7000 RPM shift) I cant find any replacements thru usual wholesalers Jeggs, summit comp cams ETC. can I install solid roller lifters on a hydraulic cam shaft? Thank you
When you say you "hurt the lifters" what is broken?
Those lesser quality Comp lifters are capable of 7000+ rpm
Check out Crane lifters for a replacement
Yes you can run a solid roller on some Hyd cams, this is a hot topic and you need to do a lot homework before making the swap.
Street engine or track?

Last edited:
When you say you "hurt the lifters" what is broken?
Those lesser quality Comp lifters are capable of 7000+ rpm
Check our Crane lifters for a replacement
Yes you can run a solid roller on some Hyd cams, this is a hot topic and you need to do a lot homework before making the swap.
Street engine or track?

They got really noisy in the dyno we tried to adjust but to much play, cam is fine. Its mostly a street car but I take it to the track 5 or 6 times a yr. It has a comp xr 292 with 1.6 rocker arms.

Comp lifters? they were hurt when you pulled them out of the box. :rofl::rofl:

Okay help me understand, you say it's a street oriented motor a 340 stroker that's going to see 7,000 RPMs 360 stroke 4-in stroke what are we talking about here.

Its a 68 340 motor stroked to 416 steel crank H beem rods forged pistons 10.0 comp 430 gears,727 3800 stall trans brake. I don't want it to buzz 7000 so I will drop the rear gears back to 390s

They got really noisy in the dyno we tried to adjust but to much play, cam is fine. Its mostly a street car but I take it to the track 5 or 6 times a yr. It has a comp xr 292 with 1.6 rocker arms.

If you pumped the lifters up you probably have some bent pushrods. Better check um out.

Very typical poor quality of the Comp retro fit roller.
The same thing happen to me, you have to run almost zero preload and they are still noisy IMHO

Ok what lifter do you suggest?

Any high quality hydraulic roller with the heavy duty snap ring holding the plunger in instead of that bullshitty wire retainer clip. I would look maybe at Lunati.

Its a 68 340 motor stroked to 416 steel crank H beem rods forged pistons 10.0 comp 430 gears,727 3800 stall trans brake. I don't want it to buzz 7000 so I will drop the rear gears back to 390s
I take it you dont do alot of highway cruz'n.
A stop light rabbit

Nope has a gear vendor as well 75 mph at 3000

You do know that you will have to remove the heads to get the lifters out.
So the smart route is to find a replacement lifter that is short in length so that when this happens again you can leave the heads on.
Let me know what you find as I am in the same boat as you.

You do know that you will have to remove the heads to get the lifters out.
So the smart route is to find a replacement lifter that is short in length so that when this happens again you can leave the heads on.
Let me know what you find as I am in the same boat as you.

Yes it sounds like an awesome setup. Can I ask what kind of heads you use I'm curious because most seem to want to stall out with 416 around 6,000 RPMs

FYI, if you click on reply you can comment on the same screen.

After you check for hurt parts and chuck the Comp lifters into the circular file, just stay hydraulic and go with a set of Morel lifters. BTW, which comp profile are you running? They're EXPENSIVE, but you may be in the profile zone where you would benefit from the .810 roller diameter lifters.
Set# Pair# BodyD RollD Description

5321 5320 0.903 0.700 MOPAR SB .903D STREET PERF HYD ROLLER
FITS MAGNUM ENGS OR EARLY LA SERIES BLOCKS

6072 6071 0.903 0.810 MOPAR A RACING .903D T/B (HI RPM) HYD ROLLER
DO NOT USE OIL HEAVIER THAN 5W40

7358 7357 0.903 0.810 MOPAR A RACING .903D T/B (HLT) HYD ROLLER

Yes it sounds like an awesome setup. Can I ask what kind of heads you use I'm curious because most seem to want to stall out with 416 around 6,000 RPMs
I'm using fully ported eddy heads flowing 290 @ 600

-
Back