lightest a-body??

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
i been thinking. my favorite a-body is the '68 dart hrdtop(non post) but i want to build a super light car. so what is the lightest a-body? i know there is the dart light and stuff but like normal lightest. lol also what can you do to lighten them up? i was thinking glass panels and hood etc. and maby aluminum block, heads, tranny all tht but what else? it will be a street car or i would just strip it. im just curious lol

Well, you can get 'glass doors too. Lexan, swiss-cheese the frame connectors, lighten the K-member, use aluminum whereever possible &if price is no object, resort to titanium for structural parts. It reall depends on how far you want to take this lightening thing, as remember back in the day, P/S used all this PLUS acid-dipping the car.

I think the lightest a-body is probobly one of the early a valiants like 63-65.

Found this the other day when I was telling a buddy of mine that my valiant probably weighed less than this Hyundai Tiberon

1963, 1964, 1965, 1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet Specifications
The 1963-1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet was one of the Big Three's new compacts at the time, and it helped keep the automaker's sales up during what might have been lean years. Find specifications for the 1963-1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet below.
Specifications
Engines: ohv I-6, 170 cid (3.40 x 3.13), 101 horsepower; 225 cid (3.40 x 4.13), 145 horsepower; ohv V-8, 273 cid (3.63 x 3.31), 180/235 horsepower (1964-1966)
Transmissions: 3-speed manual, 3-speed TorqueFlite automatic
Suspension front: upper and lower A-arms, longitudinal torsion bars, anti-roll bar
Suspension rear: live axle on semi-elliptic leaf springs
Brakes: front/rear drums
Wheelbase (in.): 106.0
Weight (lbs.): 2,570-2,830
Top speed (mph): 90-105
0-60 mph (sec):
10.0-20.0

Ya, I think it goes without saying that a feather duster or Dart light is the lightest A-bodies. I think he is going for a standard easy to get A- body Right?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=42951&highlight=weight

I Just wanted to share the info I got
A good friend owns a seed co.
And there scales are on the money.
My 1966 Valiant 100 sedan hit the scales at 2.774 lbs.
with 3/4 tank of gas about 10 gal of gas, spare tire, Jack, small set of hand tools and my box of original ingnition system

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20007.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20017.jpg

I bet memike's car is a lot lighter than any feather duster or dart lite, they still had the door side impact beams in place and the front impact shock absorbers behind the bumpers. I'll bet they weighed about the same as a '70 duster.
I think Victoria is about as light as it gets for an a body IMHO, so memike wins again!:cheers:
Oh, and memike, you forgot to mention the pack of smokes and the lighter hidden under the seat.:poke:

hey realm, do you have a web address for the site that you reference here? or maybe you could post up 67-68 post dart/valiant #'s. thanks.

I bet memike's car is a lot lighter than any feather duster or dart lite, they still had the door side impact beams in place and the front impact shock absorbers behind the bumpers. I'll bet they weighed about the same as a '70 duster.
I think Victoria is about as light as it gets for an a body IMHO, so memike wins again!:cheers:
Oh, and memike, you forgot to mention the pack of smokes and the lighter hidden under the seat.:poke:
and the six pack on ice in the trunk:thumbup:

hey realm, do you have a web address for the site that you reference here? or maybe you could post up 67-68 post dart/valiant #'s. thanks.

My 70 Dart put in at 3330lb with a full tank of gas and a full size spare tire in the trunk. It don't have any heavy options ether.

The lightest A-body was the ’66 Darts that were hand made for the early SCCA sedan class. This predates the Trans-Am, and ran cars based on FIA, or international touring car specifications. These cars were similar to the famous “D” Darts. This allowed the cars to be “designed” by the factory, with each car company determining the accessories, and specifications for the car. The only bug was you needed to run an engine of stock capacity, so the 273 gave way to the 289. Even with that, though, the Dodge won the championship during the first year. The next year, unfortunately Chrysler decided not to compete, and the Mustangs owned the field. The specifications for the early cars were based on FIA homologation papers. The papers for the Dart were not much more than 10 pages long, whereas the Mustang had over 100 pages of allowed changes; that spelled the end of any chance for Mopar.

When the Trans-Am rules from the SCCA came along, it was intended to level the playing field, with all cars not being able to weigh less than 3200 lbs, and all engines at a maximum capacity of 5000 ccs. It wasn’t till the E-body cars that Mopar got back in to it, although somewhat half heartedly.
In 1967, Ron Grable ran a specially prepared ’67 Dart, which was really a remnant of any interest by the factory. This car like the ’66 cars was specially made, with a number of chassis tricks. Unfortunately in order to build a 5000cc engine, it had to be based on the 318, with an early pre LA 318 truck crank which had a shorter stroke. The car also had to run a custom flywheel, as the crank had a different offset, and rear seal from the later engine. Grable’s effort didn’t have factory sponsorship, or the money necessary to make the custom engine parts that would have been necessary. Grable’s '67 car has been more or less “restored,” and is running the vintage circuit, although the current car is running a much more powerful and modern engine based on a 340; an engine that the original car never saw.

The early cars were hand made, and all the panels were acid dipped to the point that the hood would droop if you lifted it in the middle. The cars then could be tuned to set the weight distribution to best favor handling, although the weight of the fully prepared car was around 2600 lbs; give or take.

I know this because I had race cars in the same garage as the Grable effort, and saw the ’66, and ’67 just about every day.

I was gonna say the honey dews in the traveler cooler! 66,s YES!!!

My '65 barracuda is preatty light as well.

Absolutely. YOu cant touch a 64-66 A for lightness. Feather duster only had aluminum bumper and hood hinges, Anemic 6 and lean 1bbl carb for great mileage. My 65 weighs 2850 with a Big block. At 2750 stock weight (give or take a few) you can go 360 (+20 lbs) AL heads (-40) AL intake (-25), AL radiator (-10) Headers (-0) AL steering box (-10) AL transmission (-?) AL driveshaft (-5) remove rear seat (-50) remove pass seat (-50) lexan glass (-10 for rear only) Move battery to rear, remove carpet and underlining (-20) you are at <2500 now w/380 HP. Do more race stuff like ditching heater core, blower, fiberglass hood, bumpers and other and you can get a seriously lean street car. Even the rims goiing to some stock car style Light rims can save 15 lbs at every corner.

Ya, I think it goes without saying that a feather duster or Dart light is the lightest A-bodies. I think he is going for a standard easy to get A- body Right?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

thats exactly what im looking at. how are the 67+ darts? thats what i am really liking but want it super light. my goal is about 3 lbs per horse and looking for around 700+ hp lol. BIG hopes lol

thats exactly what im looking at. how are the 67+ darts? thats what i am really liking but want it super light. my goal is about 3 lbs per horse and looking for around 700+ hp lol. BIG hopes lol and would like to have heater, carpet, seats, street legal bumpers. i want it to be able to be a daily driver but also a street killer

Absolutely. YOu cant touch a 64-66 A for lightness. Feather duster only had aluminum bumper and hood hinges, Anemic 6 and lean 1bbl carb for great mileage. My 65 weighs 2850 with a Big block. At 2750 stock weight (give or take a few) you can go 360 (+20 lbs) AL heads (-40) AL intake (-25), AL radiator (-10) Headers (-0) AL steering box (-10) AL transmission (-?) AL driveshaft (-5) remove rear seat (-50) remove pass seat (-50) lexan glass (-10 for rear only) Move battery to rear, remove carpet and underlining (-20) you are at <2500 now w/380 HP. Do more race stuff like ditching heater core, blower, fiberglass hood, bumpers and other and you can get a seriously lean street car. Even the rims goiing to some stock car style Light rims can save 15 lbs at every corner.
Geez pishta, sounds like you did your homework. Most impressive!

I will take a 67 to 69 Valiant 2 dr. With a six auto 2,680 lbs. The larger wheel base (small as it is) tips the scale for me over the pre 67 A bodies.

The motown missle shaved 25 lbs from a hemi block and i knew one person who drilled out the center of his spindles. Later killed in crash when spindle broke.

-
Back