Linkage Adjustment for Neutral Safety Switch?

-

Mike Price

Reaction score
My 1967 Dart with a 727 Torqueflite will engage the starter in neutral, but not in park. Once in awhile it will engage in park, usually after the car is warmed up. The engine has been pulled twice in the last year. Can anyone give me a simple explanation on how to adjust the linkage to alleviate this problem? Thanks!

I have the same problem, and in my case it's a problem with the insulator being loose on the manual valve lever in the transmission.

In park and neutral positions the lever allows the neutral safety circuit to be grounded allowing you to crank the starter.

If the insulator moves slightly on the manual lever, it blocks the circuit from grounding.

I installed a ground wire from a bolt to the starter circuit grounding terminal on the starter relay to bypass the neutral safety circuit.

Only potential problem is the car can be started in any gear.

My 1967 Dart with a 727 Torqueflite will engage the starter in neutral, but not in park. Once in awhile it will engage in park, usually after the car is warmed up. The engine has been pulled twice in the last year. Can anyone give me a simple explanation on how to adjust the linkage to alleviate this problem? Thanks!

Unless you have pivot points in the linkage that are too sloppy you should be able to put the selector in park and loosen the adjustment point in the rod and then retighten it.
This can allow the linkage inside the trans to center on the park position.
Of course there are possible reasons other than this (like a worn switch) but it works a lot of the time.

Unless you have pivot points in the linkage that are too sloppy you should be able to put the selector in park and loosen the adjustment point in the rod and then retighten it.
Of course there are possible reasons other than this (like a worn switch) but it works a lot of the time.
You hit the nail on the head. The first thing to do is a linkage adjustment. I had a Dakota pick up do the same thing. I adjusted the linkage and reset the indicator on the dash and all is well.

Thanks for the advise! Is there a diagram or pic you can post indicating the operation to do this?

Thanks for the advise! Is there a diagram or pic you can post indicating the operation to do this?

Not without knowing your specific linkage configuration, but they are usually at a pivot point in the linkage.
A bolt through a small block that keeps a rod from moving, or some other device related.

These pics show a couple of types.
Even though one is a kickdown rod the adjuster type still can apply to shift linkages.

kickdown.jpg

linkage.jpg

Not without knowing your specific linkage configuration, but they are usually at a pivot point in the linkage.
A bolt through a small block that keeps a rod from moving, or some other device related.

These pics show a couple of types.
Even though one is a kickdown rod the adjuster type still can apply to shift linkages.

View attachment 1715153446

View attachment 1715153447
Thank you very much. As my mother often told me, "you're a hands on learner"

I have exactly the same problem . I have adjusted the linkage 20 times and it goes out of adjustment every time . Brand new transmission , brand new neutral safety switch , old linkage . The safety switch may be the problem . (cheap product) If I change the switch I'll get a bath in tranny fluid . This is what I'm going to try before I take a bath : disconnect linkage , place transmission in neutral , place shifter in neutral , reconnect shifter linkage . If you have to move linkage to connect up there is a problem with the linkage which must be modified . This must be done right or bad things can happen . If this doesn't solve the problem it may have a bad switch . Stay safe , Tom

I have exactly the same problem . I have adjusted the linkage 20 times and it goes out of adjustment every time . Brand new transmission , brand new neutral safety switch , old linkage . The safety switch may be the problem . (cheap product) If I change the switch I'll get a bath in tranny fluid . This is what I'm going to try before I take a bath : disconnect linkage , place transmission in neutral , place shifter in neutral , reconnect shifter linkage . If you have to move linkage to connect up there is a problem with the linkage which must be modified . This must be done right or bad things can happen . If this doesn't solve the problem it may have a bad switch . Stay safe , Tom
Thanks Tom- I'm going to try adjusting the linkage first.

Thank you very much. As my mother often told me, "you're a hands on learner"

Once the adjuster is loose, sometimes just a little jiggle by hand will allow the rod to move in the adjuster.
Basically what you are doing is taking any tension off the rods when the lever and trans are both in the park position allowing it to self center.

I also have to do this. Which rod are you talking about adjusting?

Mike , you may need to modify the linkage and that's o.k. Trailbeasts' lower drawing shows an adjustable "front rod assembly". I do not have that . My adjustment is on the "rear rod". No biggie . However the ratio may be incorrect , which , will never get the adjustment right . If this occurs you may have to cut the "front rod assembly" and either add or subtract material in order to get the linkage correct . Trail and error or "hotrodding"

I have the linkage that DanaDart posted . #21-46 . Disconnect the "front lever", put tranny in "N" from underneath , put shifter in "N" . Insert "front lever" . If it won't slide in adjust the "swivel assembly" @ the control lever until the "front lever" slides in without moving the shifter or the tranny lever . Test , test , and test again . If this doesn't solve the issue perfectly there may be a ratio issue with the " transmission control lever ". Mine is a B&M which is straight . If you have several control levers to choose from , trial and error may solve the "ratio issue" . If not , as in my case , you may have to cut the "front rod" and either lengthen or shorten until all gears work and safety works also . this isn't hard it just tales time . Or, if you have different length "front rods", try that . Later

I also have to do this. Which rod are you talking about adjusting?

In pic 21-46 the adjuster is called the swivel assembly, which is also the adjuster block.
You would loosen the bolt shown at the bottom of it and the rod slides forward and back in it.

-
Back