linkage and throttle rods versus cable slant 6 in 65 Barracuda

-

Ed Ruhl

Reaction score
I hve a lot of moving parts here so I apolgize to all the info.

I have replaced my engine with a slant 6 out of a mid 70 car.
My original setup was 1965 slant 6 that has one barrel holley 1920, just rebuild with the linkage rods (looks in one picture it is bent).

I wanted to use the 65 carb on newer engine and it fires up runs awesome except idle.
Super high unless you hold the linkage down or back, more that what the spring can do. I found a new throttle grommet and thought it would help added 2 springs and no joy.
So I see 3 options but that is why I am asking the more experienced folks here!!!
1) replace the rods/throttle linkage

2) I have a v8 pedal, mounting bracket to convert to a cable throttle.....just need spoon and cable ........I am not sure if that would fix the situation.

3) Last photo is 75 225 carb that maybe I try to see if that works? as the carb mechanism may be set up differently from 65 to 75

So I just wanted some opinions on which way to go.......replace the rods or switch to cable, just need spoon and cable I am not sure if that would fix the situation.

Thanks
Ed

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3301.JPG

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

Pretty fuzzy pictures.
I have a BBS and manual trans so can't directly relate.
I'D try eliminating one thing at a time.
Maybe try disconnecting the kickdown linkage and see if that helps? Don't drive it, just try it.

I would try a thicker carb to manifold gasket.I had the same problem and it was caused by the carb being too close to the manifold preventing the throttle from closing fully

-
Back