list your most moronic thing you've seen done to a car

-
When I was abt.. 17 yrs old, my dad got a new (used) Lincoln. I took it upon myself to rattle can paint most of the engine, especially the spark plug wires, with metallic gold paint. At night it lit up like a Christmas tree. Who knew?
Bet Dad loved that.......:poke:

When I first looked at my Cuda a PO cut the lower control arms and welded another set under the cut set. It looked like it had 4 wheel drive. As I remember the rear end was jacked up also but by the time that I bought it it was back to stock.

any car with rims larger than 15 inches on it. shittiest rid on the road, might as well just buy a buckboard and put a motor in it,

Actually this is not as silly as you think.......steering and stopping "in the slick" is sometimes more important than "front go traction"

Exactly. There is no weight and traction on the ***. One of the reasons tire manufactures recommend putting new tires on the rear if you only buy two.

Just a word about ham radio operators. I have been a ham since I was a kid, so I am well-qualified to express my opinions on the subject. In general, they are the worst people you will ever meet (Del excepted, of course). They are extremely insecure because they are fat, ugly and have nothing going for them. With people like that, the VERY WORST thing the government can do is to issue them a license which says, in effect, "you're special!". Then, in addition to being the complete assholes they always were, they also become very dictatorial, demagogic, intolerable stuffed shirts. The U.S. government really needs to get rid of the amateur radio service. What a waste of taxpayer dollars!

ham radio saves lives.jpg

I can forgive the DIY'ers hacking and "fixing" ****. They may not have to know how and tools to do it right.

Some of the stupidest stuff was done on the assembly line or parts of recalls.

F250 and 350 seats where the bracket to the rear of the seat wasn't welded correctly to the seat bottom. First, the idiot running the jig for the welder must have been blind. The fix was to put a miniature exhaust clamp where the weld is.

And then they did it again later on thw F150 seats. So much for quality control.

The early S10 Blazers. The bolt holding the seatbelt in the B and C pillars for the driver side wasn't tightened. Customer had a rattle next to his/her left ear.

Debris in the Focus defrost vents. The fix was to shove an open "weave" foam rubber into the vents to keep customers from getting **** in their eyes.

Recall on the Dentside Fords for the striker rods on the hood latches being too narrow and allowing the hoods to fly open. Same dumbass thing was done on the Explorers twenty years later.

Chrysler using the damn dumbass small bolt pattern/big bolt pattern on A-bodies only to follow it up with the stupidity on the minivans. Only this time, worse... Oh, you have 14" wheels? The wheel bearings, brakes, drums, etc are a different than the same damned van with 15" wheels.

Yeah, these idiots get paid to assemble and design **** and *still* get it wrong.

My biggest ***** was having to fix the obvious **** ups for assembly. I got paid 1/2 to a 1/3 of what the assholes on the line get paid, have my flat rate time cut in half because it's a recall and or warranty, but *I'm* the one struggling for hours to fill out my paycheck.

Painted over duct tape over holes
HAHA!
I used to own a mobile home, I rented it out. The renters would have their kids mow and weedeat. If you know anything about mobile home skirting, you know weed eaters and skirting don't mix.
Anyway, they moved and I decided to sell the place. I went around and put duct tape over the holes in the skirting and painted it.
My wife commented that it was "the most red neck" thing she's seen.
I wasn't exactly asking a ton of $ for the place, so I wasn't putting a ton of $ into it.

Back in the 90s I used to see a 68 or 69 Dodge Charger with a reverse mounted Daytona wing installed. Car was pretty nice other than the backwards mounted wing.

People are always jacking up cars around here with wheels. Saw a car with offsets driving in front of me. The right side stuck out about 10" farther than the left side.

Then there's the "drifters" who think it's cool to change the camber for more traction. This car I saw last year had such an insane negative camber, those wheels were tilted at about 45 degrees! How he drove it was beyond me. Can't imagine his tires lasted very long either.

Or another car I saw with a huge double decker spoiler as if it's going to generate more downforce on their front-wheel drive mazda.

I think the worst is not what someone did to the car, but what they allowed to happen to the car. Friend complained about brakes not working very well in her chevy lumina. "not very well" turned out to mean it takes a mile to stop and she ran every stop sign on her way over. I took a look at the brakes and refused to let her take the car (with her kids) until the brakes were replaced. Pistons were pushed out so far out the calipers, the brake fluid was leaking out. No pads left, just bare metal contact against.... well nothing! The rotors were gone! In the pic, the one on the left is the diameter it should be. But even that wasn't very good, as it was so thin at this point I actually snapped the rotor in half with my fingers!

rotors.jpg

Those Challenger-based superbird/daytona kits comes to mind.

I once saw a 70 Duster in a salvage yard that had a Chevy straight six and three speed manual trans in it

I'm surprised that the radiator cleared and they could close the hood

I had a guy bring in a Dodge van one day for me to figure out why the new brakes he put on were grinding. Yup you guessed it the inner pad was put in backward and grinding on the rotor.

Lord knows I can't remember them all but if one had to stand out it was the moron who left a 64 1/2 ss Impala 409 car to rot in a field (Basically complete minus transmission....) It trumps pretty much everything I have ever seen or dragged home. That one left me scratching my head and will take that one to my grave.....

I have pictures somewhere but it isn't for the weak.....

JW

looks ok, RIDES LIKE ****. and don't tell me different cause you would be lying.
why don't you just get some 22"s with spinners?

I can't tell you one way or the other since I don't ride in it or drive it. So, therefore, I can't lie to you about it.

As far as ride, I'd rather build the suspension, put some 17's or 18's on for the bigger footprint and availability of speed rated tires and rip canyons than float along with crap road feel and skinny *** tires wanting to slip out from under me.

Not only that, but it's not your car, so why are you worried about how someone else's car "rides?"

Last edited:
People are always jacking up cars around here with wheels. Saw a car with offsets driving in front of me. The right side stuck out about 10" farther than the left side.

Then there's the "drifters" who think it's cool to change the camber for more traction. This car I saw last year had such an insane negative camber, those wheels were tilted at about 45 degrees! How he drove it was beyond me. Can't imagine his tires lasted very long either.

Or another car I saw with a huge double decker spoiler as if it's going to generate more downforce on their front-wheel drive mazda.

I think the worst is not what someone did to the car, but what they allowed to happen to the car. Friend complained about brakes not working very well in her chevy lumina. "not very well" turned out to mean it takes a mile to stop and she ran every stop sign on her way over. I took a look at the brakes and refused to let her take the car (with her kids) until the brakes were replaced. Pistons were pushed out so far out the calipers, the brake fluid was leaking out. No pads left, just bare metal contact against.... well nothing! The rotors were gone! In the pic, the one on the left is the diameter it should be. But even that wasn't very good, as it was so thin at this point I actually snapped the rotor in half with my fingers!

View attachment 1715175746

Brakes are fun.

Customer brought a car into one time wanting to know why the brake pedal felt like crap. She actually ground away the pad backing plate on the front of one side and the caliper piston was touching the rotor.

She wound up with a full brake job on that one. Wheel cylinders were leaking, the offending caliper.

Pads, rotors, calipers, wheel cylinders, hardware, adjusters, drums. The brake fluid that was in it looked like burnt 10W30. Cleaned up the master cylinder tank and kept running brake fluid through it with the Vacula until I got clean fluid out of each corner.

Told her not to let the brake pedal hurt her on the way out the door. Instant whiplash from what she was used to.

On a Honda the boys were puttin tires on out front at a tire store I was alignment tech at.

Missing rotor AND caliper on the left front. Brake hose clamped off with vise grips and zip tied to the strut. When asked if he wanted it fixed, he just said "naw mah, jes puts my tahs and wheez on, yo."
Just, Really?..??

We had a Chevy LUV for a while. Someone had removed the fuse panel. There were no fuses in the vehicle at all. Leads were taped together with masking tape or duct tape. The alternator lead wire was just stuffed into place, with no lug.
In spite of that abuse, it became a very reliable little truck.

Wednesday on the way to work, I saw a camry with bathroom towel bars installed over the doors, on the C pillars and on the quarters.

I didn't quite have enough time to get my phone ready to take a pic.

They were very evenly spaced, straight and parallel with each other..

WTF?

A few years ago, a friend told me about an AMC Pacer that I just had to see!
OK, it had nice paint and interior, and I guess the ford engine under the hood was bad enough! but the best part were the bathroom handicapped rails replacing the front and rear bumpers!
I didn't have the nerve to ask the proud owner what he was thinking, or smoking!
Not sure I had the stomach to take photos.

How about This. A guy named Tom came back to me complaining that the motor I sold him from my plow truck to install in his dart was junk and had low oil pressure. It was a little red express motor I had in that truck for winter use only.

He brought the car over and I put it on the lift and saw the filter adapter he installed was leaking. I removed it and found this. Tom tried to blame me for this mess. Until I reminded him he had to change the pan to install it in his dart . He also put a Aluminum 4bbl intake on it I gave him.

I come to find out he left the rags under the intake he put there when he scraped the gaskets. The T-shirt and bath towel were wrapped around the cam and distributor so tight I had to pry the Distributor out. I helped him fix it new bearings and all, He paid parts only.

It was later that a friend Greg stopped in and told me that Tom was still talking **** on me and still blamed me for his rag problem in front of his wife that he never told the truth to. Tom had no Idea I knew greg and helped build Gregs car .. Now Tom is a church going Christian and never lies. LOL

He is also a member on here and has tried to contact me for parts several time since by phone. I will no longer sell or help Tom Bachman with anything. He is one person I will never trust again after giving him so many parts for free over the years. Tom comes across as a soft spoken needy guy that life has treated so bad. He is not fooling me anymore. He is a Scum bag That should never approach me for anything again..

aoil1[1].jpg

aoil2[1].jpg

aoil3[1].jpg

Last edited:
Someone putting snow tires on the rear of a front wheel drive car.
I got a like new set of studded snows on a rear of a Reliant wagon years back. I asked the old guy how it worked in the snow? He said great. The sad part was I knew the shop that he said installed them. Harhardt's Garage in Northampton.

ive seen ss symbols on a new a charger.ive also done a few moronic things my self like trying to fix intake with jbweld .and then just keep slapping it on like it was gonna help

-
Back