Live in California, my car hasn't been registered since '04, no non op?

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Any ideas, experience,or advice, much appreciated... Thank You....

If the car is in your name, you have 2 choices: PAY for registration annually..... (Or have your tax refund siezed by the Franchise Tax board) Or register it as a Non-Op status.
I've had cars that I sold go UNregistered by the new owner and because I was stupid and forgot to mail in the attached form stating the new owners info, they attached my tax refund. These jerkoffs have no sense of decency about that stuff.

Last edited:
Damn. Just DAMN. Sure am glad I don't live out there.

Yeah...Aside from the idiots in the government, this place is fantastic.

If the car is in your name, you have 2 choices: PAY for registration annually..... (Or have your tax refund siezed by the Franchise Tax board) Or register it as a Non-Op status.
I've had cars that I sold go UNregistered by the new owner and because I was stupid and forgot to mail in the attached form stating the new owners info, they attached my tax refund. These jerkoffs have no sense of decency about that stuff.
Damn. Just DAMN. Sure am glad I don't live out there.
Yeah...Aside from the idiots in the government, this place is fantastic.[/QUOTE
Agreement...I ,may have a different route....
And yes ,R.R.R.. I do ,want out of Commiefornia.....

Your royally screwed.
Your going to have to pay 13 years of back registration, and penalty's if you want to register it in California in 2017, withought it ever being in the system as non op.

If honesty worked properly, you could simply show supporting evidence it was never licensed or insured, along with seeing you DID have vehicles licensed and insured that you were driving those years, and a simple statement the vehicle was disassembled or being rebuilt.

But I understand bureaucracy will steal from the future, the present and the past.

Your royally screwed.
Your going to have to pay 13 years of back registration, and penalty's if you want to register it in California in 2017, withought it ever being in the system as non op.
Another wrong response.
Once the car goes several years without being registered, it is dropped from the system. To register it now, it is as if the car never existed. There are no back fees to pay. You will need to get a VIN verification, pay transfer fees (Even though YOU are the last owner) and sales tax. I have bought "yard cars" that people bought and let sit for years. Almost every one of them was unregistered for10 years or more. EVERY time I called DMV to check status, they told me that the vehicle is no longer on file and will have to have a new file created.
It isn't as easy as re-registering but you are in no way screwed.

Have you made ANY inquiries about the car with the DMV over the last 7-10 years?

If not over the period, walk in as though you just acquired the car and start over.

Depending on the year of your car, there are loopholes for classic vehicles in the code that exempt you from back registration.

It's not a lost cause.

Have you made ANY inquiries about the car with the DMV over the last 7-10 years?

If not over the period, walk in as though you just acquired the car and start over.

Depending on the year of your car, there are loopholes for classic vehicles in the code that exempt you from back registration.

It's not a lost cause.

Yes, IF it's a classic car over 30 or 40? years old you can waive back fees.

I did it once with the help of a DMV registration service in El Monte called Tony's Registration Service.

I bet if you googled: DMV waive back fees classic car or classic car CA DMV back fees you'd find info.

Last edited:
Another wrong response.
Once the car goes several years without being registered, it is dropped from the system. To register it now, it is as if the car never existed. There are no back fees to pay. You will need to get a VIN verification, pay transfer fees (Even though YOU are the last owner) and sales tax. I have bought "yard cars" that people bought and let sit for years. Almost every one of them was unregistered for10 years or more. EVERY time I called DMV to check status, they told me that the vehicle is no longer on file and will have to have a new file created.
It isn't as easy as re-registering but you are in no way screwed.

This hasn't been true since the late 90's when everything was converted to digital. It used to be that cars dropped out of the system after 7 years if they weren't registered. Since the registration system has gone digital there's no need to physically store actual paperwork, and so the digital records stay on the books. And yes, I've encountered the exact same situation as the OP with a car I stored for over ten years in that time. I've also bought cars in that time that were unregistered for over 7 years and had them still be in the computer, a royal headache in one particular instance because the owner of record was not the person I had the bill of sale from. That was not fun.

As far as the OP's car goes, you're going to have to go down to the DMV. In some cases you may be able to work around paying all the back fees. For example, if it's a project car that's been in storage and hasn't been driven or parked on the street, you mayto be able to talk the DMV into filling out a statement of facts regarding the storage and the back fees can be waived. But, that's not a 100% sure thing, it depends a lot on the person you get at the window and them being willing to work with you. I have absolutely done it on cars I have purchased, and even one that I was storing long term that I let lapse.

Last edited:
Kind of the same here in Colorado. A minimum of $100. to register a vehicle that hasn't been for a year or longer. But that can be cheaper than licensing if you have it on jackstands for a few years. You just want to check it out first.
For the state it's all about the money.
Yote

Its kinda weird her in WV, the last persons name the car is titled in pays the taxes on it, forever, regardless if it is driven or not. Until it is re-titled, or the title is turned into the state as scrap.

They call this little money making scheme personal property taxes, they way they get you is you have to pay taxes on all of them in full on all cars you own, including car or utility trailers and atv's over 50cc or no license plates for your daily drivers, this also includes your home, that they will sell to the highest bidder, if you do not pay in full.
So basically you get taxed on stuff you bought years ago, every year.

Its kinda weird her in WV, the last persons name the car is titled in pays the taxes on it, forever, regardless if it is driven or not. Until it is re-titled, or the title is turned into the state as scrap.

They call this little money making scheme personal property taxes, they way they get you is you have to pay taxes on all of them in full on all cars you own, including car or utility trailers and atv's over 50cc or no license plates for your daily drivers, this also includes your home, that they will sell to the highest bidder, if you do not pay in full.
So basically you get taxed on stuff you bought years ago, every year.
Cripes! Do you even get to own your own rainfall in WV or hillside stream without a tax?

Any ideas, experience,or advice, much appreciated... Thank You....
From my experience I would say Stay away from the DMV office. I bought a '78 Ford F-250 4x4 just because it had a 4 speed and both front & rear Dana 60s. I asked the DMV clerk to check the status. She told me that I owed back fees to 1994, and that total was $1710. I asked if these old vehicles ever dropped off of the system, she giggled and said "well now that you inquired it's back up for 7 more years. I called Donna Leek in Grass Valley, told her what was up. She has a business dealing with the DMV, she goes by the name the DMV gal. She got me a title for $150. Don't bother with the DMV drones, they just want to jack you up for cash.

The DMV gal, dog bar lane, grass valley ca. Call her she will take care of your problem as long as the vehicle is at least 25 years old.

All I ever had to do was sign a statement saying the car was stored and not driven.
This was when I lived over there, and not AZ.

AZ is easier.

All I ever had to do was sign a statement saying the car was stored and not driven.
This was when I lived over there, and not AZ.

AZ is easier.

SHHHHHH

Don't let the secret out. I've registered a couple of cars in AZ for under $50, then bring that title back to CA wiping out the back fees.

SHHHHHH

Don't let the secret out. I've registered a couple of cars in AZ for under $50, then bring that title back to CA wiping out the back fees.

Yep AZ pretty casual about it, and where I live there isn't any smog check.

SHHHHHH

You let out the secret! Works great. Dont get caught. It MIGHT be illegal.

Yes, IF it's a classic car over 30 or 40? years old you can waive back fees.

I did it once with the help of a DMV registration service in El Monte called Tony's Registration Service.

I bet if you googled: DMV waive back fees classic car or classic car CA DMV back fees you'd find info.
I tried two options... AAA wanted 604.00.....No bueno!
Went online to the HAMB,found a registraion services office in Temecula (CARS...),sent a picture of the DMV listing bill from AAA,and a copy of the pink. They called back in a couple of hours,stated four pieces of paper,and 216 bones fixes it.Thanks for the advice ,guys.

Just move out of Kalifornia, everybodies doin it. Problem solved. Lol

Glad you got it fixed without the dmv fisting you in the butt.

Just move out of Kalifornia, everybodies doin it. Problem solved. Lol
(Agreed... Waiting for liberal family idiots, to close the estate b.s.out.)
Glad you got it fixed without the dmv fisting you in the butt.

Come to Texas, we love our freedom, guns, and BBQ. Especially our guns. We also have open carry as a rider on our concealed carry licences since jan 2016. My bank has a sign when you come in that says no open carry without a licence. I walk in all the time to do my banking with my shootin iron , nobody even says nothin. I see people all the time walking around armed. We DONT have a crime problem here LOL, because the criminals are the ones who are intimidated. And they should be.

Its estimated that for every person you see out here with an open carry firearm, theres 10 that have theirs concealed. I think a real lib from california would stroke out walking down our main steet seeing regular citizens walking around with holstered firearms lol

-
Back