67Dart273

Reaction score
Yeh, it's an adapter

Yeh, a carb goes on it

HINT: It's temporary. It's Mopar. It's NOT for a slant six or a V10

IMG_1022.JPG

Holley carb and TBI intake

Fairly close. .........Test run a 5.2 magnum on a stand

I have the magnum 5.2 out of the junked "White Whale II" which I'm going to install "as is" into the Dakota project. The object is to get it running, see where I'm at (I've never driven it except to nurse it home in low gear, low range on the snow last winter for about 1/2 mile) So I have no idea what other problems I face

I'm out of time.......I have this part time job, and I want to get it running, the spend time and get a better engine ready. Give me time to check out the brakes, front end, electrical, heater, "do I even want it" long term?"

Bought last winter with a rod knockin' 5.2:

img_0779cs-jpg.jpg

The engine will be test run, Ed carb, Mopar electronic dist, and my "patent pending" HEI-in-a-box"

hwlcfa-jpg.jpg

So this "adapter" I started last evening, and spend this morning "perfecting."

IMG_1023.JPG

Reason for the notch on the driver's side is I originally thought I had clearance issues and would have to install the carb sitting backwards. We can't have THAT and it turns out with a minor work it does fit "normal"
IMG_1024.JPG

Carb adapter.......Spread bore to squarebore, mostly for a spacer to clear the carb linkage......
IMG_1025.JPG

Last edited:
Now to get busy rigging a flywheel, starter, etc......................"I'll be baaaaaaaack"

Fairly close. .........Test run a 5.2 magnum on a stand

I have the magnum 5.2 out of the junked "White Whale II" which I'm going to install "as is" into the Dakota project. The object is to get it running, see where I'm at (I've never driven it except to nurse it home in low gear, low range on the snow last winter for about 1/2 mile) So I have no idea what other problems I face

I'm out of time.......I have this part time job, and I want to get it running, the spend time and get a better engine ready. Give me time to check out the brakes, front end, electrical, heater, "do I even want it" long term?"

Bought last winter with a rod knockin' 5.2:

View attachment 1715073110

The engine will be test run, Ed carb, Mopar electronic dist, and my "patent pending" HEI-in-a-box"

View attachment 1715073111

So this "adapter" I started last evening, and spend this morning "perfecting."

View attachment 1715073118
Reason for the notch on the driver's side is I originally thought I had clearance issues and would have to install the carb sitting backwards. We can't have THAT and it turns out with a minor work it does fit "normal"
View attachment 1715073119

Carb adapter.......Spread bore to squarebore, mostly for a spacer to clear the carb linkage......
View attachment 1715073120

That sure looks like an afb to me :poke:

That's fabrication right there, a drill and a couple files!:thumbsup:

For flywheel I used my trusty old 340 wheel I've had since the early 70's and an engine plate from my Lakewood, also bought in early 70's.......I had to change the starter, the first one I picked had a bad drive

IMG_1026.JPG

The age old concrete block........adding a tiny mist of safety to the Horrid Freight engine stand

IMG_1027.JPG

Last edited:
Setting up the timing

STICK YOUR FINGER in the HOLE!!! and wrench it around, feel for compression

IMG_1028.JPG

Then bring to TDC, because............

IMG_1029.JPG

I wanted to verify the setup on the original Magnum distributor, which has a simple mark for no1 at the rotor

IMG_1030.JPG

Then back it up 1/8 turn or so, and move back forward (CW) until the marks are where "you want timing to be".....this is an estimated 12--15 degrees BTDC

IMG_1032.JPG

Wherever the rotor is pointing is no1 and you have to put the dist. body in cockeyed because of the magnum beer keg intake. The cap "keys" to the wire shown for no1 What I did not show, is tweak the dist. housing so the reluctor is lined up with the pickup center post and "tweak" a tiny bit advanced

IMG_1033.JPG

Last edited:
Ready to run and RAN!!! After I got some gas to it and changed the bad starter IT FIRED RIGHT UP!!! I ran it a minute or two and it sounds great.

Now I'll pull the pan (Dakota is different) make sure the pickup is clean, and probably pull 2-3 mains and 3--4 rods and inspect bearings. This is a temporary engine, probably "through the winter" This week will be BUSY!!!! Getting it installed in the Dakota!!

IMG_1036.JPG

Last edited:
Also a side note..........."Ma" just HAD to "screw us" one last time.......the magnum distributor clamp has a tab which I guess engages the dist housing to keep it in place in case the clamp loosens. A quick trip to the grinder fixed THAT

IMG_1031.JPG

This tab interferes with my MP breakerless dist, "all fixed"

Last edited:
A note to ratvon, you little ****..........next time you accuse me of not knowing much or not doing any of my own "stuff" you better think again

That notch on the dist hold down is there so you can't adjust the magnum dist but so far. Look at the housing on the magnum dist, you'll see the recess that the tab fits in. Absolutely no problem grinding it off for your purpose.

-
Back