lockup A999 mods

-

mderoy340

Reaction score
Putting a car together for the track with what I have in my garage. Tranny is a lockup 999 with low gear set and valve body has the S tube for converter lockup.

Has anyone ever had a torque converter made without the TCC? If so would the valve body have to be modified?

I can not answer your question but do know there are shift kits and converters for performance and racing for lock up trannies. You just need to look under the right rock for it.

I'm pretty sure all you have to do is use a stiffening plate for that extra valve set that controls the lockup function from a non lockup valve body.
You should be able to use the converter without having it lock up also.

Notice how the screws I circled are the same pattern as the stiffening plate.
I think you have to block that tube port I circled also.
Those mods just make the converter lock non functional.
Most people use a non lockup input shaft with this mod since it's so easy to change.

I'll bet Tracy (Fishy68) could tell you for sure because he has more recent experience with that than I do.

Attachments

• lockup.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 242
  • nonlockup.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 256
Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully this thread will help others. I've read a ton of threads of folks having lockup units and most say get a nonlockup trans.

I will be buying a converter, the one I have is a stock low stall.
I plan on running this trans behind my 340, 3.91 gear. Most likely 3K stall.

I installed a Transgo TF2 shift kit in my a999. Not too hard, it was my first time inside a trans if that says anything. I must say one thing though, good luck finding a decent converter over 2500 stall that doesn't cost a fortune. It's one of the reasons everyone says to switch to a non lockup trans.

Putting a car together for the track with what I have in my garage. Tranny is a lockup 999 with low gear set and valve body has the S tube for converter lockup.

Has anyone ever had a torque converter made without the TCC? If so would the valve body have to be modified?
Yes, dummy lockup converters are made.

-
Back