Lockup converter 904 handle a 360?

-

Ol'forest

Reaction score
There's a 1986 904 for sale locally, wondering if the stock lockup converter would handle a mild 360? In a light duster with 4.10's Thought the low first gear might be useful too. What's your thoughts anyone?

I was reading about this / on Cope Racing transmissions earlier he claims that are a better base to build from than a standard 904...
I am looking for a new trans for my new 408

Not familiar with the details, but it's possible to swap out the shaft & valve body to conventional converter versions while retaining the better parts. Many lock-ups also had the retainable 2.74 low gear sets too. More converter options. But a 360 would still need a 360 counterweighted converter or 360 LA B&M flexplate.

Not familiar with the details, but it's possible to swap out the shaft & valve body to conventional converter versions while retaining the better parts. Many lock-ups also had the retainable 2.74 low gear sets too. More converter options. But a 360 would still need a 360 counterweighted converter or 360 LA B&M flexplate.

That was mentioned in the video, also you can get a non lockup convertor and use that too..

You'll need to make some changes. The stock converter will fail, as mentioned. The low gearset isn't necessarily desirable, as these cars are light to start with, plus with your 4.10 gear, it will very likely be overkill, but try it. You might like it that way. There are plenty of pages here about how to modify the 904 to make them stronger.

It's my understanding that the A999 variant of the A904 has five clutch discs instead of three. Some racers use 904s and 999s because they're smaller than a 727. Less weight to spin. The lockup torque converters that came stock were rated at something like 1800-2000 stall. Usually in late A bodies and FMJ with 2.45 or 2.21 rear gears.

I just ordered an A999 lockup with a reverse manual valve body, low gear set and billet servos and a PTC converter (stall yet to be determined) from Cope Racing Transmissions. Just like the one in the video except for the trans brake.

Last edited:
-
Back