Logan Auto Parts Saves the Day (again)

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Headlamp switch on the '65 Formula S had a problem (no dash lights). The old/original switch I removed has a Mopar Part number 2580463. I did not want a "China" piece so dropped by the old school auto parts counter in town "Logan". The owner/employee (only the owner works there) took one look at the old switch, said aloud "triagular" or "three sided", walked in the back without looking anything up, and returns with a similar switch stamped "Made in USA". Then I got to thinking, I also have a '65 Valiant Signet, do you have another switch by chance? He walked next door, unlocked a storage room, and after a couple of minutes walked out with two more switches still in the box! I'll take 'em!

The only possible "monkey wrench" in the deal is it seems the Barracuda and Valiant switches are set up differently, where the front parking lights on the Barracuda turn off when the headlamps are on. From what I have read online: Barracuda have the L6 and L7 wired to R and Valiant L6 wired to P. Now I don't know if that means the wiring in the switch itself or the wiring in the vehicle wiring harness. I guess I will find out when I test my newly purchased switches.

While I was still at Logan's, I asked for a Carter small block fuel pump. I gave him the box of the pump he recently sold me showing part number M6866. He said he could sell me a similar pump that would fit: part number M60514. Both pumps made in Corea. I said OK. I paid for the switches and the pump $900.00 Mexican Pesos ($45.00 equivalent in US dollars). He sent me two blocks down the street with a voucher so I could pick-up the pump directly from the local warehouse. I'm tickled pink.

new headlamp switches.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 5.25.45 PM.png

Headlamp switch on the '65 Formula S had a problem (no dash lights). The old/original switch I removed has a Mopar Part number 2580463. I did not want a "China" piece so dropped by the old school auto parts counter in town "Logan". The owner/employee (only the owner works there) took one look at the old switch, said aloud "triagular" or "three sided", walked in the back without looking anything up, and returns with a similar switch stamped "Made in USA". Then I got to thinking, I also have a '65 Valiant Signet, do you have another switch by chance? He walked next door, unlocked a storage room, and after a couple of minutes walked out with two more switches still in the box! I'll take 'em!

The only possible "monkey wrench" in the deal is it seems the Barracuda and Valiant switches are set up differently, where the front parking lights on the Barracuda turn off when the headlamps are on. From what I have read online: Barracuda have the L6 and L7 wired to R and Valiant L6 wired to P. Now I don't know if that means the wiring in the switch itself or the wiring in the vehicle wiring harness. I guess I will find out when I test my newly purchased switches.

While I was still at Logan's, I asked for a Carter small block fuel pump. I gave him the box of the pump he recently sold me showing part number M6866. He said he could sell me a similar pump that would fit: part number M60514. Both pumps made in Corea. I said OK. I paid for the switches and the pump $900.00 Mexican Pesos ($45.00 equivalent in US dollars). He sent me two blocks down the street with a voucher so I could pick-up the pump directly from the local warehouse. I'm tickled pink.

View attachment 1715794004

View attachment 1715794025
It is wonderful how some places have NOS parts like that. I had a similar experience when I was stationed in the Philippines in the early 80's. The parts stores in Manila had NOS parts that they sold for the retail price at the time they got the parts! I got 440 .030 pistons for $15 each!

I don't know what he charged for each individual part, just a total I was happy with (don't know what he uses for a reference price either). Probably after so many years he really knows his parts (and prices).

Logan Auto Parts store struck out today with my request for original headlamp 6012 or the super-ceded 6014. However, the owner redeemed himself with offering me a super heavy duty 2 1/2" muffler clamp with note on original package: "Made for International Harvester". The bent/wasted clamp on the left is from TTI (made in Canada). I paid $5.00 equivalent in USD.

I tore the exhaust system loose going over a speed bump. The shop that installed the "H" pipe clamp had the long thread ends pointed straight down and that's what got hung up.

IMG_0145.jpg

The tail park issue is a non issue. The switche wiring connectors were the same, all "Ma" did was move the wire in the connector. In fact you can easily change that on any of these Mopars On newer Mopars with the "park stays on" setup the switch will have an unconnected terminal---the parking lights terminal unused

-
Back